I love Bali

Blowin's picture
Blowin started the topic in Thursday, 19 Mar 2015 at 6:55pm

I love Bali.

You wouldn't think that such a thought could be controversial . But it is.
Many people don't love Bali, in fact they proclaim to hate it. Bemoan what it has become, it's lack of purity, it's lost innocence.

Sure, I can see their point. I can't imagine anywhere on Earth that has been transformed as radically as Bali over the last thirty years. From rice paddies and coconut groves to six story discotheques . It's totally unrecognisable in the most built up areas.

But that's not what this post is about. It's about why I LOVE Bali.

I love Bali because ...

- it's still the home of an intense cluster of world class waves. Roping lefts : Uluwatu, freight train right barrels : Sanur, backlit mega tubes : Padang Padang. Rip able reefs, fun beachies. Short , slabby pits and long mellow points. River mouths and bombies. It's got the lot.

- it's still possible to get uncrowded quality waves in 2015 when it seems as though the entire planet has discovered surfing. I was trading crystal clear , rolling right walls with only two other surfers just this morning.

- it's still freaking beautiful. Watching the mist reveal Mt Agung in that unique Bali morning light from a black sand beach as the sun comes up is still special.

- the food is amazing. Walking around town building up a hunger and knowing that at any given time you are within shouting distance of fresh, exotic and delicious meals with enough variety to make your head spin is priceless.

- the Balinese are legends. Friendly, happy and always keen for a joke. Unfailingly polite and welcoming. Healthy, spiritual and decent.

- the Balinese surfers rip their waves and they still own them. A visiting Brazilian would not think twice to drop in on an Aussie local at Kirra. But you won't see the same in Bali. The Balinese surfers are treated with the respect they deserve. Because as everyone knows, if they are not treated with respect there is consequences.

- the water is so warm it's like swimming in silken angels tears.

- telling people that you are going to Bali will often elicit a response along the lines of ......"why would you go to that traffic ridden, noisy shithole ?" And then as you're kicking back with a Bintang watching the sunset over Uluwatu you can imagine them sitting at lights in their car on their way home from work in Perth. Which , for those that have never been , is a noisy , traffic ridden shithole. And this makes me laugh. Which is something I enjoy doing.

- The fruit is incredible.

- despite the millions of tourists, the fast food franchises and the Aussie over familiarity with the joint it's still exotic. The smell of clove cigarettes, the ogo ogos of Nyepi, the Buddhist offerings , monkeys , food and language are all enticingly foreign.

- there is no overreaching nanny state. You want to ride your motorbike with all four of your children and the missus on the back...whilst texting. Go for it.

- you can live like a king on a regular Aussie income. Maybe not such a great benefit for the Balinese themselves though.

- it's close to Oz. Twenty hour plane ride and a shot at developing deep vein thrombosis.....ummm no thanks. It's actually faster to fly to Bali from Perth than it is to drive to Albany. You can fly from Port Hedland in less than two hours.

- you get an opportunity to regularly witness some of the most foolhardy behaviour imaginable on a daily basis. You ever seen a man being doubled on a motorbike through traffic whilst holding a large pane of glass ? What about seeing someone hold a nail between his bare fingers while his mate tries to grind the tip off it ? It's all there folks.

- you can see people making do with not much and making it work. An exhaust system held on with a T Shirt ? An outboard motor attached to a boat with no anchoring system, just held on with a man's brute force ? Why not ? It might not work forever but it'll usually get em over the line.

- the winds can blow offshore for months at a time and when they blow onshore, well , that just makes it offshore somewhere else. It's an island !

- you haven't seen glassy oceanic conditions till you've seen Indonesian sheet glass. It's like an oil slick. And if you're ever near Benoa Harbour that could well be what it is.

- old people are accorded the respect they deserve.

- it's exciting. It's a melting pot of the world. Wide eyed villages from remote Asia, jaded techno princesses from Russia, sleek surfy chicks from Canada , your next door neighbour from Ipswich....it's a party and everyone is invited.

Including YOU. I'll see you there. You can't miss me.

I'll be the sun burnt drunk in a head to toe Bintang ensemble with hair braids and a fresh tattoo of a unicorn across my back . Don't be shy. Come and say hello.

linez's picture
linez's picture
linez Tuesday, 15 Mar 2022 at 7:00pm

I still reckon it won't (hopefully) take too long before some of these requirements are done with, or at least simplified. That's one of the reasons why I booked for October. By then I imagine the locals will also have ironed out some of the re-opening issues on the streets as well.

I am wondering how long the results of the PCR test take to come back? Could be the difference between the average person deciding to go or not.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Tuesday, 15 Mar 2022 at 7:09pm
linez wrote:

I still reckon it won't (hopefully) take too long before some of these requirements are done with, or at least simplified. That's one of the reasons why I booked for October. By then I imagine the locals will also have ironed out some of the re-opening issues on the streets as well.

I am wondering how long the results of the PCR test take to come back? Could be the difference between the average person deciding to go or not.

@linez , you would think that if there aren’t a significant amount of tourists testing positive then surely some of these procedures will be relaxed. I think the PCR results are being given within a few hours . It’s all a trial at the moment .

ssssshh's picture
ssssshh's picture
ssssshh Tuesday, 15 Mar 2022 at 8:20pm
Supafreak wrote:
linez wrote:

@linez , you would think that if there aren’t a significant amount of tourists testing positive then surely some of these procedures will be relaxed. I think the PCR results are being given within a few hours . It’s all a trial at the moment .

The initial PCR at the airport on arrival apparently the results have been through before the punters have even reached their hotel -obviously as it gets busier this may change but they seem onto it at the moment

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Saturday, 19 Mar 2022 at 9:55am
ssssshh wrote:

The initial PCR at the airport on arrival apparently the results have been through before the punters have even reached their hotel -obviously as it gets busier this may change but they seem onto it at the moment

I think this timeframe will blow out considerably once more planes start landing at Kuta full of tourists.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Saturday, 19 Mar 2022 at 10:31am

I doubt they will keep up the PCR tests on arrival , if you have to do one within 48 hours of boarding a flight then again on day 3 its a bit of unnecessary overkill. A mate is flying from Melbourne on Monday he paid $300 for his PCR test with express results, didn’t want to risk being delayed with the test in order to board the plane .

juegasiempre's picture
juegasiempre's picture
juegasiempre Saturday, 19 Mar 2022 at 4:16pm

Booked my flights today, 59 days in Bali from mid June to mid August. Going to split my time between Canguu, Bukit and Lembongan at this stage, not sure how I'm going to divvy it up.

On the Smarttraveller website it says on 2 COVID shots are required, I might get a 3rd just in case anyways.

I've decided to buy a 2nd hand board over there cause I figure it's going to be a ballache enough travelling with a toddler + missus, the PCR tests and all the other bureaucracy. Anyone have any tips on where to buy a board? Also anyone got any tips on insurance that covers COVID as per the requirements?

I'm looking forward to it cause I'm going to land there surf fit and ready to go! Good luck to all!

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 19 Mar 2022 at 4:30pm

Take your Board...Surf fit ready to Rip...but you can only find a Dog of a Board to buy..
Whats hard about taking it to the Airport... Who are you flying with and whats cost ?
By Mid August PCR and other stuff prob no longer

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Saturday, 19 Mar 2022 at 4:40pm

the pcr on arrival is apparently because people have been catching covid while travelling, which doesn't show up in the one 48 hrs before departure. there's probsbly endless arguments about incubation periods and testing positive, but...

it is also to determine if you can leave the hotel through the 3 day period. it's kind of a risky 'quarrantine' system they have undertaken now, so it's another check before you are free to spread disease in the community awaiting your final clearance...

its probably a box check for jakarta too, who bali has been pleading with to loosen stuff up

secondhand boards: shitloads available at all the shops, always clearance ads running atm. check out the surfboard buy and sell groups on facebook

apparently most insurance now covers covid, but they are exxy, safetywings defo does, reasonable price if you're not old like me... apparently there's a local covid one now too, but doubt that'll cover anything else

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Saturday, 19 Mar 2022 at 5:34pm
Supafreak wrote:

I doubt they will keep up the PCR tests on arrival , if you have to do one within 48 hours of boarding a flight then again on day 3 its a bit of unnecessary overkill. A mate is flying from Melbourne on Monday he paid $300 for his PCR test with express results, didn’t want to risk being delayed with the test in order to board the plane .

Can’t comment about other states but in QLD you can’t get a PCR test unless you have a GP referral or go to a testing facility at a public hospital. Not sure a GP will give a referral if you just need the PCR to fly to Bali!!

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Saturday, 19 Mar 2022 at 5:36pm
juegasiempre wrote:

Booked my flights today, 59 days in Bali from mid June to mid August. Going to split my time between Canguu, Bukit and Lembongan at this stage, not sure how I'm going to divvy it up.

On the Smarttraveller website it says on 2 COVID shots are required, I might get a 3rd just in case anyways.

I've decided to buy a 2nd hand board over there cause I figure it's going to be a ballache enough travelling with a toddler + missus, the PCR tests and all the other bureaucracy. Anyone have any tips on where to buy a board? Also anyone got any tips on insurance that covers COVID as per the requirements?

I'm looking forward to it cause I'm going to land there surf fit and ready to go! Good luck to all!

NIB insurance Southern Cross Insurance. I’m sure there’s others. It ain’t cheap but it will certainly be cheaper than what Bali will charge you to stay in there quarantine hotels!!

juegasiempre's picture
juegasiempre's picture
juegasiempre Saturday, 19 Mar 2022 at 8:10pm

Cheers all. @udo tickets were about $330 return from bris with Jetstar. Cbf'd taking my coffin board bag and dragging it around with all the other stuff. I can't imagine it'll be too impossible to find a decent step up and I'll bring my fins so it won't be hard to adjust from my normal boards.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 22 Mar 2022 at 7:35am
udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 22 Mar 2022 at 5:36pm

VOA now avail to 42 Countries
Brazzos are in...

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Wednesday, 23 Mar 2022 at 2:18pm
udo wrote:

VOA now avail to 42 Countries
Brazzos are in...

Fckers!!

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 23 Mar 2022 at 2:43pm

Despite all the good news on Indo of late, for the place i manage I'm getting quite a few cancelations and people putting off trips until 2023, quite a surprise, i saw a very recent FB post from Kandui Resort saying a similar thing lots of spots free for next few months.

Kind of weird i thought, surfers would be flooding in, really not much hoops to jump now.

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Wednesday, 23 Mar 2022 at 3:19pm
indo-dreaming wrote:

Despite all the good news on Indo of late, for the place i manage I'm getting quite a few cancelations and people putting off trips until 2023, quite a surprise, i saw a very recent FB post from Kandui Resort saying a similar thing lots of spots free for next few months.

Kind of weird i thought, surfers would be flooding in, really not much hoops to jump now.

Still a few hoops if you test positive to covid though. Expensive hoops. And with Australia being such a big bunch of pussies who knows what will happen if you return and there is a new “killer” strain.

The fear of covid in the country has fucked it, the government control has fucked it.

I also have financial interest in Bali, and I’m very cautious about the next 12 months over there

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Wednesday, 23 Mar 2022 at 4:22pm
burleigh wrote:
indo-dreaming wrote:

Still a few hoops if you test positive to covid though. Expensive hoops. And with Australia being such a big bunch of pussies who knows what will happen if you return and there is a new “killer” strain.

The fear of covid in the country has fucked it, the government control has fucked it.

I also have financial interest in Bali, and I’m very cautious about the next 12 months over there

deltacron is here!

already... apparently...

I'm half joking, but it is... very surprised too people are pulling out, but it is expensive / incredibly inconveniant if stuff goes wrong...

people have tested positive and been sent to quarrantine facilities, one guy I know of was there for at least two weeks, and reckons it was good luck over anything else that got him out. that was jakarta though

and there's plenty of talk of you know what...

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 23 Mar 2022 at 8:26pm
burleigh wrote:
indo-dreaming wrote:

True that, i guess if you are the sort of traveller that only has two weeks holiday and then try to cram in a boat trip for instance then there is a fair bit of risk, if you happen to be unlucky and test positive in Indo and have to do 7 nights quarantine your screwed, the charter will have departed and you miss half your trip.

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Wednesday, 23 Mar 2022 at 10:13pm
indo-dreaming wrote:
burleigh wrote:
indo-dreaming wrote:

True that, i guess if you are the sort of traveller that only has two weeks holiday and then try to cram in a boat trip for instance then there is a fair bit of risk, if you happen to be unlucky and test positive in Indo and have to do 7 nights quarantine your screwed, the charter will have departed and you miss half your trip.

Or families with teens that were not jabbed can not travel yet.

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Thursday, 24 Mar 2022 at 8:27am
udo wrote:

https://thebalisun.com/officials-lower-bali-lockdown-to-level-ii-as-covi...

I didn’t even realise Bali was in lockdown? How can you have lockdown whilst accepting international visitors?

What does Level 2 lockdown mean for Bali?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 24 Mar 2022 at 8:42am
donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Thursday, 24 Mar 2022 at 9:04am

Also I’m a little confused. To enter Bali do you have to show proof of 3 nights booked accom in a CHSE certified hotel?

linez's picture
linez's picture
linez Thursday, 24 Mar 2022 at 10:26am

Don, yes you do. There are plenty to choose from though.

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Thursday, 24 Mar 2022 at 10:45am
donweather wrote:
udo wrote:

https://thebalisun.com/officials-lower-bali-lockdown-to-level-ii-as-covi...

I didn’t even realise Bali was in lockdown? How can you have lockdown whilst accepting international visitors?

What does Level 2 lockdown mean for Bali?

Exactly. Just like Australia. How can you have a state of emergency while having 80k at a football match, large festivals and cruise ships arriving?

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Thursday, 24 Mar 2022 at 1:15pm
linez wrote:

Don, yes you do. There are plenty to choose from though.

There may be plenty to choose from but Fck me they’re damn expensive by Bali standards!!

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Thursday, 24 Mar 2022 at 1:39pm

its the pandemic of the poor...

linez's picture
linez's picture
linez Thursday, 24 Mar 2022 at 4:35pm

Don, I'm not sure where you're looking, but there are heaps on the list that are either the same or in most cases cheaper.
We're paying 30 percent less for the same place we last stayed in before covid.
The original list of quarantine hotels were insanely expensive...

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer Thursday, 24 Mar 2022 at 5:07pm

Im staying at blue point uluwatu for less than $30 a night.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Thursday, 24 Mar 2022 at 11:27pm

Good news for Bali: No more mandatory quarantine. No more hotel booking for 3 nights in a certified hotel. https://bali.com/news/corona-updates/news-quarantine-travel-regulations-...

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Thursday, 24 Mar 2022 at 11:33pm
Supafreak wrote:

Good news for Bali: No more mandatory quarantine. No more hotel booking for 3 nights in a certified hotel. https://bali.com/news/corona-updates/news-quarantine-travel-regulations-...

Shit yeah

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Thursday, 24 Mar 2022 at 11:56pm

@goofyfoot , let’s just hope deltacrom doesn’t get out of hand .

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer Friday, 25 Mar 2022 at 8:08am

Did I read it correctly you have to had your last vaccination dose within 14 days or before
14 days to me its not clear.

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Friday, 25 Mar 2022 at 9:17am
evosurfer wrote:

Did I read it correctly you have to had your last vaccination dose within 14 days or before
14 days to me its not clear.

i read that as it had to be 14 days ago or greater. ie you can’t have had your second shot within 14 days or arriving in Bali.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 25 Mar 2022 at 5:43pm

No Swell but Rubbish and Euro Free
Beach and Water Looks so Clean - Fark Slim has done it hard last 2 yrs no Centrelink $ for him

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Friday, 25 Mar 2022 at 6:52pm

No one in sight

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 25 Mar 2022 at 7:09pm

Only a couple of Healthy looking Mutts....
Supa did your mate sort his Malindo Problem ?

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 25 Mar 2022 at 7:27pm
udo wrote:

Not yet , he can’t get any communication happening with them by phone or email. No offer of credit or refund . He had called his bank the next day when he first got a cancellation notice from malindo, he asked them to stop the transaction as it was still pending. The bank has asked him for everything malindo sent him which was just a confirmation of flight booking then a cancellation notice. When you look at various sites for reviews , there is plenty of people in the same position. Considering they were doing a promotion for Brisbane to Bali it’s straight up fraud in my opinion, they have been promoting other routes as well.

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Friday, 25 Mar 2022 at 8:20pm
Supafreak wrote:
udo wrote:

Not yet , he can’t get any communication happening with them by phone or email. No offer of credit or refund . He had called his bank the next day when he first got a cancellation notice from malindo, he asked them to stop the transaction as it was still pending. The bank has asked him for everything malindo sent him which was just a confirmation of flight booking then a cancellation notice. When you look at various sites for reviews , there is plenty of people in the same position. Considering they were doing a promotion for Brisbane to Bali it’s straight up fraud in my opinion, they have been promoting other routes as well.

What a shame, I’ve had plenty of basically empty flight with Malindo, just wait to hop on last, find a row to yourself then lay down the entire flight.
First class on a budget

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Friday, 25 Mar 2022 at 9:14pm
goofyfoot wrote:

No one in sight

bit ugly and onshy though...

crowded yesterday when nice, grunpy bule locals...

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Saturday, 26 Mar 2022 at 7:58am
sypkan wrote:
goofyfoot wrote:

No one in sight

Was meaning more on the beach and in the warungs

overthefalls's picture
overthefalls's picture
overthefalls Saturday, 26 Mar 2022 at 10:21am
sypkan wrote:
goofyfoot wrote:

No one in sight

Bule locals. What a classic oxymoron. Makes you wonder where they get their sense of self-entitlement.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Saturday, 26 Mar 2022 at 12:09pm

Exchange rate forecast is looking healthy for oz $ 73-BB2-D82-0007-47-DC-BE69-BC73-A8-D22-DD2

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 26 Mar 2022 at 12:41pm

My first Indo trip $1 aud - 750 rupiah

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Saturday, 26 Mar 2022 at 6:24pm
udo wrote:

My first Indo trip $1 aud - 750 rupiah

That must have been in the eighties or early nineties...indo was a great place back then. I still remember turning up at tubes bar and loudly slapping a mossie as i was checking out whatever was printed on the wall and EVERYONE in the bar turned around and stared at me...Like i wasnt used to mossies or something....mossies would attack you underneath the table and if you reacted you were softcore.
Good food though and good movies on screen...excellent hangout after a surf but lots of ego and dudes showing off their reef scars.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 30 Mar 2022 at 1:36pm
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Wednesday, 30 Mar 2022 at 1:54pm
udo wrote:

This should draw more Tourists in....
https://thebalisun.com/bali-tourism-association-proposes-the-resumption-...

I wish they would wake up and introduce a 90 day free visa. Also there 48 hour PCR test needs to be extended to 72 hours, my mate paid $300 for express results before departure, just in case he didn’t have it in time for boarding flight, that would be expensive for a family of 4

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 30 Mar 2022 at 4:17pm

I was about to say if you have the money to go travel to Indonesia and holiday another Rp500,000 ($50AUD) isn't really going to make a difference to your decision.

But on second thought maybe I'm wrong as a whole family of Visas adds up, i was looking a things from a perspective of wife and kids not needing visas.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 30 Mar 2022 at 4:28pm

BTW. I think its going to be interesting to see when Indonesia opens up Jakarta, Medan, Padang etc to VOA at the moment its still B211a visa's.

It's been rumoured even media suggested its coming, but it might not come so quickly, reason being i think the government would prefer to funnel tourist through Bali even if they then move into other areas.

1. To boost tourism as much as they can in Bali
2. Just so the figures returning to Bali look as good as possible.
3. Bali has such a high vaccination rate compared to other areas of Indonesia.

If it only remains Bali where VOA are issued, it could mean areas of Sumatra remain less crowded than in a normal year.

Reason being is

1. Most guys already booked in will have flights or credit flying into Medan, Padang, Jakarta that might not be able to change to an airline going to Bali
2. Or just see going via Bali as too much effort as adds more time and flights, and more money both ways
3. See the effort and cost of a B211a Visa as too hard or extra cost.
4. Most resorts and especially charter boats also need a certain number of guest booked in to do a trip
5. Most guys that do trips to a resort of charter boat are employed (money rich time poor) so need to plan a bit ahead for holidays etc and can adapt as quick as say a solo backpacker type budget surfer

Its all theory, but im already seeing some groups thinking its still all too hard, its hard enough to organise a group of mates for a surf trip at the best of times, but if you need to get a special visa or added flights its even harder, and then there is the partner factor, of honey why dont you wait until next year, what if this what if that.

I also know many resorts are getting cancellations up to mid year and bookings still quiet.

Offcourse its Indo anything is possible it could all change tomorrow and a flood of surfers return.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Wednesday, 30 Mar 2022 at 4:29pm

Lets hope Qatar doesn’t start running cheap flights for the brazzos again.