Softboards

salt's picture
salt started the topic in Monday, 21 Oct 2013 at 11:59am

Looking to get the kids a soft board each for christmas, and I was wondering if anyone can give some advice on what I should get them, i.e size and brand and value etc. They are 5 and 8. I was thinking around the 7ft mark? There seems to be a number of brands out there at a number of price points. What ones should I steer clear of? I dont want to spend a fortune but I have seen some of the cheaper ones fall apart quite quickly. Thanks

crankitupto11's picture
crankitupto11's picture
crankitupto11 Monday, 21 Oct 2013 at 5:47pm

I have a Softlite 5'2" fish. It's pretty fun for small summer waves as it has a lot of volume so easy to paddle and get speed while still small and maneuverable. It's also a lot safer to use especially when it's crowded which is why I started using the softy in summer instead of my older glass board.

7" would be massive. You looking at getting them into SUP or something?

Check em out: http://www.softlite.com.au/

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 21 Oct 2013 at 6:37pm

got a security warning [mcafee] trying that softlite link.

salt's picture
salt's picture
salt Monday, 21 Oct 2013 at 7:42pm

Yeah crank maybe 7ft is a bit big for them. Just wanted something mega stable for them. I'll probably end up carrying them so maybe a smaller size would be more appropriate. Cheers

crankitupto11's picture
crankitupto11's picture
crankitupto11 Friday, 25 Oct 2013 at 6:25pm
salt wrote:

Yeah crank maybe 7ft is a bit big for them. Just wanted something mega stable for them. I'll probably end up carrying them so maybe a smaller size would be more appropriate. Cheers

Check out the Xlite range from Softlite. More durable and firm deck material.

My 5'2" is made from this stuff it's pretty solid. Lots of fun almost looking forward to those chill late summer afternoon sessions surfing waist high waves off the groyne. I mainly bodyboard during winter when the surf is bigger and heavier so it's a nice change of pace to go standup in summer.

For learners, anything over 6' will be big enough especially as these boards are so nice to use and buoyant. They'll have a ball.

old grey's picture
old grey's picture
old grey Monday, 28 Oct 2013 at 7:26pm

what else but ebay
had the kids last summer just standing up. we where just pushing them off on to really small stuff. No foams. the boards that they we on was our 5,2 chip the 7 footer and the older sons 6,6 they are all pretty stable boards and the kids are hocked

salt's picture
salt's picture
salt Monday, 28 Oct 2013 at 7:46pm

Checked out the softlite the other day, look pretty good. Has anyone tried the elnino? They are bit cheaper, the groms aren't to excited about the designs though. Cheers fellas

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Monday, 28 Oct 2013 at 10:02pm

I bought my boys a 6'6" redback Malibu soft board to learn on. Wouldn't recommend it for a first softboard. Too small and too unstable. Then bought them an 8ft find softboard off eBay. Absolutely brilliant board for learning. Stable as a boat and now my boys get up first time every time.

8ft may be a bit big for some kids (takes both my boys to carry it down the beach) but my boys are big for their ages (8.5 and 7). My 8.5 yr old is almost 5ft tall and 40kgs.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/221294690971

They do them in a 7fter too if you're worried the 8ft is too big for them.

salt's picture
salt's picture
salt Tuesday, 29 Oct 2013 at 12:59am

Awesome don cheers, seems like a good price too!

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Tuesday, 29 Oct 2013 at 8:44am

Hey the bds we use down here are the G-Boards soft tops...there's a 6 6 kids board...works well.....

there is another option..the best beginner soft boards are COSTCOs.....all over the USA..the 8 0 is a gem and only a $120......they now make beginner bds also...and are opening more and more stores..

these are the bds JOB uses at Pipe sometimes...

salt's picture
salt's picture
salt Tuesday, 29 Oct 2013 at 1:37pm

Thanks Brutus, I'll look in to them. Awesome work guys, cheers

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Tuesday, 29 Oct 2013 at 4:28pm

Check the albacore design by tom wegener they are finless . Really fun to ride and fast without the bad foil rubber fins. Good for crowded metro beaches becos u can ride over things without them fins . My one is 5"6 model think there's a 5"2 also . They paddle well