Looking for tips in SE Qld

ptrg's picture
ptrg started the topic in Thursday, 18 Dec 2014 at 6:24pm

G'day all, about to move to the Brissy area, and back to waves! (Orig from Melbs, but been living in Cairns for the past 3 years).

Due to my job I'm looking to live near the airport, but also somewhere that allows me to get to the surf within say an hours drive. Having surfed the goldy plenty of times in the past, I think I'd prefer to live on the north side, and predominately surf Sunshine Coast (just seems to be a more mellow, chilled out place overall- correct me if I'm wrong..)

So with that, I am just posting to see if anyone lives in the area (at this stage looking at the redcliffe or brighton area, due to the requirement to live near water) and can give me an idea of how long it usually takes to get to the southern part of Sunshine Coast? (My job gives me days off/on standby on random days and hoping to take advantage of that and make up for lost time).

Finally, if anyone wants a surfing buddy, me and my magna wagon are on the market!

Cheers for any tips, suggestions, ideas- absolutely pumped to finally get back into it!

rbarker3's picture
rbarker3's picture
rbarker3 Wednesday, 24 Dec 2014 at 2:08pm

Hey mate,

I've recently moved to Melbourne but am originally from northside Bris - definitely missing QLD surf and weather!

So from the Redcliffe area it takes about 45 minutes to get to Caloundra which is where surf starts. I reckon you could be in the water and paddling out at Wurtulla/Currimundi within an hour (traffic pending). I used to live at Chermside and did this drive religiously. From there it was roughly an hour. Add 20 mins to get to Maroochydore and add roughly 40 mins to get to Noosa.

Hope this info helps.
R

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Wednesday, 24 Dec 2014 at 3:48pm

PTRG, rbarker3 has nailed it.... Also don't forget you can always sneak in for a few craphanders at Bribie Is..... Not far from Redcliffe... Up near the pacific harbour golf club on Bribie there's a few tracks to the beach.... The trusty magna should handle it... Best in east swells, south swells get blocked by Moreton is.....
Very average surf, but a lot better than Cairns, that's for sure.....