No more need for a visa when visiting Indonesia

stunet's picture
stunet started the topic in Thursday, 6 Nov 2014 at 9:52am

"This morning, Indonesia’s ministers’ meeting in Jakarta announced that the visa on arrival scheme will be scrapped early next year for tourists from Australia."

Not too sure what it means for the long term visitors - will they still have to do visa runs? - but there'll be a few people happy not having to hand over coin after checking in.

http://www.wego.com/news/indonesia-removes-visa-requirements-5-countries/

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 6 Nov 2014 at 10:01am

Interesting. Just a short time after they raised it from US$25 to $35 too.

yocal's picture
yocal's picture
yocal Thursday, 6 Nov 2014 at 4:29pm

Jokowi starting to turn the rusty old wheels maybe.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 6 Nov 2014 at 5:16pm

Cool :D

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 27 Jan 2015 at 7:28pm

Looks like Australians may still have to buy a Visa on arrival in indo $35 US. - Jakarta post.
1 million Aussies visited Indonesia last year @$25US some $35 US per head -Big $$$$

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 27 Jan 2015 at 8:02pm

Yeah…I read about that the other day..they didn't say why, but did say it was political motivated?

Im happy to pay about a dollar a day anyway.

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer Wednesday, 28 Jan 2015 at 11:35am

Yes it might be ok if your 1 person but if there is 5 like me (family) its very expensive. Typical Indo greed
I think they should step back and have a look at Bali over crowded, overdeveloped, filthy dirty, dangerous, insane traffic, corrupt cops, health issues, polluted ocean the list is endless not to mention its still basically a third world country. No not a fan of the increase but hey still got perfect waves.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Wednesday, 28 Jan 2015 at 2:05pm

Typical Indo greed

Ever considered what they pay to come to oz?

$130 absolute minimum.

Should they let us in free because we're all white and stuff?

braudulio's picture
braudulio's picture
braudulio Wednesday, 28 Jan 2015 at 3:42pm

re: evosurfer, good call sypkan.

evosurfer, might want to check typical Aussie greed too. Just cause they changed it's name and hid it in ya airfare doesn't mean we haven't still got a tax just to leave! A$55 each. BTW an Australian ETA for all but Europeans will set you back A$20 as well.

evosurfer wrote:

... over crowded, overdeveloped, filthy dirty, dangerous, insane traffic, corrupt cops, health issues, polluted ocean the list is endless not to mention its still basically a third world country.

Mate, if that's what you're after in a holiday why not hit the Goldy?

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer Wednesday, 28 Jan 2015 at 4:02pm

No thanks I go to Hawaii if not Bali. I might also add that I go to Bali at least 3 times a year usually twice with family and once to meet swell so believe it or not im not against Bali I still luv Bali just giving a realistic
summary of the place after around 70 trips there in the last 23 years. If it has not got any of what ive stated
feel free to educate me.
Right now just discussing with family late Hawaii or early Bali for our next holiday.

braudulio's picture
braudulio's picture
braudulio Wednesday, 28 Jan 2015 at 4:14pm

On the contrary evosurfer, it's got all you stated and more in spades!! Which (despite loving the place, surf and people) is why I haven't been back since the late '90s. Plenty of other parts of Indonesia to explore.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 28 Jan 2015 at 5:03pm
sypkan wrote:

Typical Indo greed

Ever considered what they pay to come to oz?

$130 absolute minimum.

Should they let us in free because we're all white and stuff?

Yes Its not easy for many Indonesians to come to Australia, we sponsored my Indo wife's parents to come here for a few weeks and it cost us a few hundred dollars, her parent even had to get full medicals including chest X-rays, they even warned us we may have to pay a bond of AUD 10K, we applied in December hoping to get it approved for February, and after heaps of fucking around we finally got the visa in May and then they had to be used them by i think it was August.

We did it direct online, but i did learn latter from others that its much easier to just let them apply through a travel agent in Indonesia and friend applications done this way have only taken a few weeks.

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Wednesday, 28 Jan 2015 at 8:49pm
evosurfer wrote:

No thanks I go to Hawaii if not Bali. I might also add that I go to Bali at least 3 times a year usually twice with family and once to meet swell so believe it or not im not against Bali I still luv Bali just giving a realistic
summary of the place after around 70 trips there in the last 23 years. If it has not got any of what ive stated
feel free to educate me.
Right now just discussing with family late Hawaii or early Bali for our next holiday.

Bugger me dead, richie rich evosurfer complains about paying a fee, then says I'll take the family to the most expensive place to surf on earth, more about bragging how much money he has.

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer Wednesday, 28 Jan 2015 at 10:38pm

No mate airline benefits and just to piss you off even more, here is another honest statement Hawaii is by far my favourite surfing destination in the world. North shore you relax with the overall atmosphere so cruisy and enjoy the aloha. You cant tell me Bali is relaxed and cruisy.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 28 Jan 2015 at 10:55pm

You're right mate. I can't think of many things more hectic than getting a dirt cheap massage under a palm tree at Nusa dua after riding long walls in crystal clear bath temp water all morning. Fuck that.

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Wednesday, 28 Jan 2015 at 11:40pm

Palm massage = Happy ending ... ;-)

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Thursday, 29 Jan 2015 at 6:33am

Sorry evosurfer, walked into aldi the other day and bought a six pack of red for 12.99 and things go down hill from happy our round here at the moment cant help stirring the pot sometimes.

True the north shore is miles ahead of bali, but even with discounted airfares your wallet is still going to cop a hiding, don't think there would be to many hotels on the north shore giving airline staff discounts.

I'm actually luvin indo being the honey pot of surfing, all roads lead to bali and beyond, it has taken the pressure off the rest of the worlds surfing meccas.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 29 Jan 2015 at 8:40am
southey wrote:

Palm massage = Happy ending ... ;-)

Make banana cry

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 1 Jan 2016 at 10:25am

Free visas again for Aussies.

And Israeli's .

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 6 Sep 2019 at 9:00am

Aust and NZ citizens now able to use Auto gate passport entry when landing in Bali
35 -65 second process...should speed your arrival up a bit.

Bnkref's picture
Bnkref's picture
Bnkref Friday, 6 Sep 2019 at 1:07pm

Also use it on the way out. Lots of people lining up that don't need to.