quads

davetherave's picture
davetherave started the topic in Saturday, 11 Oct 2014 at 11:55pm

has any body had problems doing first bottom turn with quads? me lately landlocked. DHD said i should change big fins and small fins. Cant do this . it goes along wave as long as first turn- set up turn- not a u turn, but goes good if i take off and go along wave then crank it- gave my AB channel bottom away two weeks before his graduation. any suggestions accepted, but i am i am going have a crack one more cyclone season even with macca's tray. so crowded, hard to experiment but want figure eight cutback at full speed. if no change i borrow my my old mate ray bevan's self shaped quad, ray shane and turbo's dad - legend- need bottom turn precise. no comprimise. upside down and slotted or stay or beach.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Saturday, 18 Oct 2014 at 6:08pm

Oops off topic again;)

Yeah so I trust in my mate who sets his Quads up the same way, just for this type of board:)
Looking forward to some rippers on it, as this is the first quad I've had..!
It has a 5 fin set up, so surfing like TOS 3-4ft do you think ID would be good to put a tiny 5th on or just surf as a quad, have you experienced the little 5th fin before???
I know I just have to check it myself.
Cheers ID

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Saturday, 18 Oct 2014 at 6:40pm

The knubster fin is a marketing ploy . If your rear quad fins arent big enough you will then need a fifth little tiny half fin .

dastasha's picture
dastasha's picture
dastasha Saturday, 18 Oct 2014 at 6:57pm

I feel one of the things that make a quad fast is the lack of drag from a centre fin. Maybe they just feel fast? As you say you need to try it to know.
In saying that, I reckon Ill have to get some old side fins and scallop them out with a grinder like those futures you and Dave use. Just to feel how they work. I have some 50/50 trailers.
My gut feeling is a centre fin will make it feel a lot more like a thruster.
A 50/50 foil on the trailing fins definitely make a quad feel a lot more like a thruster even without a centre fin.
That is a quads I use come off the top with more speed whereas thrusters tend to pivot off the top.
Wasn't the topic bottom turns?

dastasha's picture
dastasha's picture
dastasha Saturday, 18 Oct 2014 at 7:31pm

Or just try your Mannion 5'10 as a thruster. That Mayhem I showed you goes way better as a thruster than a quad.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 18 Oct 2014 at 7:40pm

I tried a nubster fin for a few weeks, but i didn't really get into it, for me it felt like i lost some of the positives of a quad but didn't really gain the positives of a thruster, now I either quad or thruster.

Interesting though to try a proper little centre fin, but you would think you would need to go smaller (or more upright) side rears to help loosen it up, that guy in Hawaii i think his name is Greg Griffin does boards that are meant to be ridden as full five fins.

BTW. if you decide to mess around with a nubster in futures, if its a tight fit id sand it a little, once there in there so damn hard to get out.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 18 Oct 2014 at 7:51pm

There's a little job for Roy Stewart ....design and 3d print a little centre fin/nubster

Freeride just read your report on the fin of Roys you have been trying in your bonza......sounds good ?

EDIT: sorry Roy- you have already made a Blef nubster.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Saturday, 18 Oct 2014 at 8:37pm

Vector fins with concave instead of flat ; less speed down the line but more grip in turns and turning arc is shorter . Vectors seem good for turns Imo

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Sunday, 19 Oct 2014 at 12:10am

Seems to be Caml, I agree :)

rees0's picture
rees0's picture
rees0 Thursday, 16 Apr 2015 at 7:38pm

Here's some nice footage of kelly riding a quad in his world title winning year.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 16 Apr 2015 at 7:48pm

I think Kelly said after riding a quad in his heat at the Box yesterday that a thruster would have been a better choice ?

rees0's picture
rees0's picture
rees0 Thursday, 16 Apr 2015 at 9:04pm

Didn't see it. Can find quads a tad "vague" for what feels like a short pause right after standing up. Doesn't stop me loving them but just ordered new quad 6'0 x 19' x 2' 1/2" swallow tail with parabolic rails yew.