Vintage surf Day, Point Leo Victoria, Sunday the 9th of November

Point Leo Foreshore's picture
Point Leo Foreshore started the topic in Sunday, 24 Aug 2014 at 2:49pm

Hi Everyone.
On Sunday the 9th of November, Trigger brothers surfboards in conjunction with the Point Leo Foreshore will be hosting the second ever vintage surf day. The day is an opportunity for everyone to celebrate, bring down, show off, swap or trade all kinds of surf and surf related memorabilia.
The last one in 2012 was a huge success with nearly a hundred displays, thousands of boards and heaps of people. This year we hope it will be bigger and better than ever and have would like to expanded by inviting all owners of kombis free entry on the day, a separate parking area to show off their beautiful machines .
For more information or to make a campsite booking, please email me at [email protected].
I will keep updating this post as new information comes to hand.
Tony the Ranger. Point Leo

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Wednesday, 27 Aug 2014 at 10:40am

Hey Tony..... Is the shop still serving steamed dim sims ready to go? :) Awesome memories of that little part of Oz.......

Point Leo Foreshore Wednesday, 27 Aug 2014 at 10:49am

Hi Sheepdog.
The general store is under new management and the new owners are doing a fantastic job, thoroughly recommend their fish and chip Friday night! Both the General store and the Beach Kiosk (which also does awesome food, try their mars bar thick shake) will be open for the event day.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Wednesday, 27 Aug 2014 at 11:16am

Surfed some of the biggest waves of my life down your way, Tony.... It involved my dad's boat, and a journey from Hastings to a deepwater mysto break 1/2 way between ***** *** and ******* ******.....
I'm sure you know where I mean...... Never been To hawaii.... But hey.... Who needs to.... Right?
Cheers, man.......

Point Leo Foreshore Wednesday, 27 Aug 2014 at 11:29am

Hey Sheepdog, I know where you are talking about but but have never surfed it. I am not going to pretend that I am either skilled or courageous enough to surf that kind of a wave, good on you giving it a go. I know some locals that surf surf some pretty big and cold stuff that is surprisingly close, I admire their enthusiasm and commitment. I am happy with the little head high peelers that can be found around the bay, all our breaks on their day can be fantastic, its a great place to explore.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Wednesday, 27 Aug 2014 at 11:42am

I got drilled, man...... Made a few, though.... But did cop a hammering..... This was 1993, mate... Young, fit, stupid...... I'd get exhausted just rigging the boat these days.... Gotta love memories.... Till dementia kicks in ...
Cheers, bloke :)

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Wednesday, 27 Aug 2014 at 3:30pm
Sheepdog wrote:

Surfed some of the biggest waves of my life down your way, Tony.... It involved my dad's boat, and a journey from Hastings to a deepwater mysto break 1/2 way between ***** *** and ******* ******.....
I'm sure you know where I mean...... Never been To hawaii.... But hey.... Who needs to.... Right?
Cheers, man.......

Seen guys out there Sheepy, never surfed it myself. Can't really tell from land though weather it's a half decent wave or not. Is it?

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Wednesday, 27 Aug 2014 at 4:01pm

Only went out there once, Goofy, when the old man lived down that way..... Could see it from dads house up near Red Hill..... The day I was out there was insane...... Had to be 10 foot plus..... Went out with a bloke named Wes ( peninsula local who unfortunately is no longer with us) who was a school mate of my younger 1/2 brother......... A big heaving bommie like experience, Could go either way by memory..... For a bloke brought up on warm water points, it sure was an experience...... Big hold downs.... Thrashings.... Cold water...... Was seriously undergunned...... But I actually felt more at ease out there that I did at Express.....
That journey opened my eyes..... Realised i was an average surfer who could cut it in his own backyard, but had soooo much to learn about waves other than Burleigh, Deadmans, dbah, Noosa, and Old woman........ Reality check......
So many different types of wave out there......

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Wednesday, 27 Aug 2014 at 4:25pm

Yeah right, always wondered if it was a quality wave. I bet it was an experience! Haha. Not to mention all the big fish swimming around seal rocks that might want to pop over to day hello!

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Wednesday, 27 Aug 2014 at 4:25pm
goofyfoot wrote:

Yeah right, always wondered if it was a quality wave. I bet it was an experience! Haha. Not to mention all the big fish swimming around seal rocks that might want to pop over to say hello!

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Wednesday, 27 Aug 2014 at 6:56pm

I wouldn't call it a quality wave like say a Kirra, or a Chi's, or a Anga...... More a Queenscliff bommie/Daly sorta deal.... But as I said, I've only been out there once.... And being a young guy in an alien environment experiencing something totally different may have made it seem better..... But it was a buzz......

Freakn shat myself at express lol....... tail between my legs man....... :) Some nasty rocks that sure sort out non local banana benders hehehe.......

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Wednesday, 27 Aug 2014 at 7:53pm

Very sand dependant " mysto bombie" , infact more sand than rock . Very shifty due to currents , wind is the biggest issue .... Probably a better spot to " fish " especially the large teethy kind .

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 28 Aug 2014 at 9:15am

Gday, southwald.... The water wasn't exactly great barrier reef material lol.... But my memory, I do remember dark patches out in the take off zone, which was the size of 4 basketball courts... Sorta boily/swirly.... I know there was sand further inside..... Didn't see any fins.... Unlike when we fished out at seal rocks.....

Point Leo Foreshore Saturday, 6 Sep 2014 at 9:53am

Hi Everyone.
The following link will take you to a short video of the last Vintage Surf Day held in 2012, there are some great old boards on display.
http://www.triggerbrothers.com.au/vintage-surf-day-november-

If you are interested in displaying some boards yourself, or as a group, please contact Phil Newman on 0417761413

Parking and entry to the park on the day will be $4, this money goes 100% towards the upkeep and maintenance of foreshore, which for those of you who didn't know, is an entirely self funded, public reserve.

This year we are also hoping to get the Kombi Klub of Victoria to come down em masse .

Point Leo Foreshore Friday, 7 Nov 2014 at 5:38pm

We are all go for this Sunday starting at 10 am, we have over 40 exhibitors registered and the Kombi Klub are bringing a dozen old buses down for a drive.
Entry on the day is $4 with 100% of the proceeds going towards the upkeep and maintenance of the park.
Dogs are strictly prohibited, there will be a sausage sizzle put on the the PSC crew and the disabled surfers association.
For a map and list of all the displays follow the link below.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zhgMoN9AQnoE.kv4KkbiqYBuM