I heart WOTD

Blowin's picture
Blowin started the topic in Wednesday, 30 Jul 2014 at 8:07am

The wave of the day does it for me big time. Nice work Steen Barnes , Shaun Anderson and Swellnet.
In one photo you've encompassed everything nice about surfing. If I was a wanker I'd say that it was perfect except for the fact he is in a wetsuit. Which it is , it's perfect .....except for the fact he's in a wetsuit.

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Wednesday, 2 Aug 2023 at 4:14pm
basesix wrote:

Beautiful sand and dirt passage AW, every surfer loves their sand, so much time spent in it frothing, contemplating, recovering and reflecting. I have ordered the book Costermans wrote with Vandenberg, I live further west than you, but all still relevant, and any such books are super absorbing. I sometimes use gmail and there is a group I am involved with that promote cold-climate northern hemisphere music in australia - there are people that focus on japan, karelia region, inuit, etc, my particular moniker is scotstralia in that group, and if you stick an at between my moniker and the above mode of transmitting the written word, I would like to take you up on your generous offer. I am also looking forward to reading Wallace's annotated Malay, I read it (unannotated) when I was younger, but so many things we do in our youth reflect the adage 'I had the experience but missed the meaning'. Looking forward to it from a halfway-wise person's perspective.

Basesix. I think I’ve correctly emailed you. Let me know if you didn’t get it. Thanks AW.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Wednesday, 2 Aug 2023 at 4:38pm

cheers AW, I'll send you a copy of Year of the Hare, I'm keen for you to enjoy some fiction, it is short but excellent, funny vignettes that give good insight into the seasons and humour of the scandanavian.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Wednesday, 2 Aug 2023 at 4:38pm

cheers AW, I'll send you a copy of Year of the Hare, I'm keen for you to enjoy some fiction, it is short but excellent, funny vignettes that give good insight into the seasons and humour of the scandanavian.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Wednesday, 2 Aug 2023 at 5:07pm
AlfredWallace wrote:
GuySmiley wrote:
AlfredWallace wrote:
GuySmiley wrote:
Distracted wrote:

Bit of a walk to the beach for this one, which has some unique properties.
CC50-CA8-B-5-FA5-499-A-8-B47-83-FA23-E65-F6-D

Coastal salt bush of some type?
What beautiful grey green foliage

Hi GuySmiley. Loving this bit of plant fun. Agree, it was the foliage that grabbed me as well. Coastal saltbush locally in Victoria is the genus Atriplex sp. On yours and my coast, Atriplex cinerea is most commonly found. Plants have a much different floral arrangement than the aforementioned posted photo.
Atriplex can be monoecious or dioecious. Historically placed in the Chenopodiaceae family but thats now defined as a sub-family, currently finds itself in Amaranthaceae.

Hope you are keeping well.AW.

Gday AW, yes all good here hoping you’re likewise. During covid I took 2years of online zoom art classes with a great Australian realist landscape artist. One of the revelations of my time with him was that the Australian bush is grey before any other colour …. soooo, we were taught to mix a neutral grey as the “mother colour” and from that pool of paint all other colours were created to create the required harmony …… greens, yellows, reds, blues. Cheers

GuySmiley. How are you ? . Those art classes sound like they are very fulfilling, must be very enjoyable to produce work and see your finished products.

Remember Prue Acton ? Once labelled the golden girl of fashion design from the 60’s. She once remarked something like, ‘the colours of Australia are not confined to the traditional mindset of ’green & gold’ and the way we see our country’.

She remarked, the real true colours of Australia are ‘versions of grey, magentas, soft pinks, carmine ,burnt orange & ochre, all of the greens in various moods and the straw like colours of introduced grasses.’ Something like that.

Aboriginal people had limited pigments to use for their paintings, imagine if they had had the full set of ‘Faber Castells’. AW

Painting in oils was something I've wanted to do for a very long time so yes it was brilliant and the fact I lucked onto a great tutor was the best but he is now exclusively zoom based so I'm no longer with him, perhaps in 2024 if I can sort out a few things.

Yes I remember Prue Acton but for a different reason; she was rumoured to be under Billy Sneddon grinding away at the time of his death from a heart attack!

All the great Australian landscape (oil) artists saw the greys in the Australian eastcoast bush and seascapes my favourites currently are Streeton, WD Knox and TP Boyd.

Those colour sets and the like that Basesix posted are great for school students but no professional artist should go near them and using cheap canvas is also a big no no, but the do including the one doing portraits on TV. That sort of thing used to get my tutored well truly triggered.

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Wednesday, 2 Aug 2023 at 5:07pm
basesix wrote:

Beautiful sand and dirt passage AW, every surfer loves their sand, so much time spent in it frothing, contemplating, recovering and reflecting. I have ordered the book Costermans wrote with Vandenberg, I live further west than you, but all still relevant, and any such books are super absorbing. I sometimes use gmail and there is a group I am involved with that promote cold-climate northern hemisphere music in australia - there are people that focus on japan, karelia region, inuit, etc, my particular moniker is scotstralia in that group, and if you stick an at between my moniker and the above mode of transmitting the written word, I would like to take you up on your generous offer. I am also looking forward to reading Wallace's annotated Malay, I read it (unannotated) when I was younger, but so many things we do in our youth reflect the adage 'I had the experience but missed the meaning'. Looking forward to it from a halfway-wise person's perspective.

Basesix. Hi mate. As requested ‘The Annotated Malay Archipelago’ by the one and only, Sir Alfred Russel Wallace. AW

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Wednesday, 2 Aug 2023 at 5:11pm
basesix wrote:

Basesix. Ooh, cant wait, particularly interested as I’m married to a Scandinavian. I start to itch and scratch when I hear the word fiction. All good. I know it appears creepy to exchange addresses in this fucked up world with scammers. Look what it’s done, common folk loose trust with each other, no good. BF & AW.

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Wednesday, 2 Aug 2023 at 6:53pm
GuySmiley wrote:
AlfredWallace wrote:
GuySmiley wrote:
AlfredWallace wrote:
GuySmiley wrote:
Distracted wrote:

Bit of a walk to the beach for this one, which has some unique properties.
CC50-CA8-B-5-FA5-499-A-8-B47-83-FA23-E65-F6-D

Coastal salt bush of some type?
What beautiful grey green foliage

Hi GuySmiley. Loving this bit of plant fun. Agree, it was the foliage that grabbed me as well. Coastal saltbush locally in Victoria is the genus Atriplex sp. On yours and my coast, Atriplex cinerea is most commonly found. Plants have a much different floral arrangement than the aforementioned posted photo.
Atriplex can be monoecious or dioecious. Historically placed in the Chenopodiaceae family but thats now defined as a sub-family, currently finds itself in Amaranthaceae.

Hope you are keeping well.AW.

Gday AW, yes all good here hoping you’re likewise. During covid I took 2years of online zoom art classes with a great Australian realist landscape artist. One of the revelations of my time with him was that the Australian bush is grey before any other colour …. soooo, we were taught to mix a neutral grey as the “mother colour” and from that pool of paint all other colours were created to create the required harmony …… greens, yellows, reds, blues. Cheers

GuySmiley. How are you ? . Those art classes sound like they are very fulfilling, must be very enjoyable to produce work and see your finished products.

Remember Prue Acton ? Once labelled the golden girl of fashion design from the 60’s. She once remarked something like, ‘the colours of Australia are not confined to the traditional mindset of ’green & gold’ and the way we see our country’.

She remarked, the real true colours of Australia are ‘versions of grey, magentas, soft pinks, carmine ,burnt orange & ochre, all of the greens in various moods and the straw like colours of introduced grasses.’ Something like that.

Aboriginal people had limited pigments to use for their paintings, imagine if they had had the full set of ‘Faber Castells’. AW

Painting in oils was something I've wanted to do for a very long time so yes it was brilliant and the fact I lucked onto a great tutor was the best but he is now exclusively zoom based so I'm no longer with him, perhaps in 2024 if I can sort out a few things.

Yes I remember Prue Acton but for a different reason; she was rumoured to be under Billy Sneddon grinding away at the time of his death from a heart attack!

All the great Australian landscape (oil) artists saw the greys in the Australian eastcoast bush and seascapes my favourites currently are Streeton, WD Knox and TP Boyd.

Those colour sets and the like that Basesix posted are great for school students but no professional artist should go near them and using cheap canvas is also a big no no, but the do including the one doing portraits on TV. That sort of thing used to get my tutored well truly triggered.

Hi Guy. How’s things ? I love the work by Streeton, Boyd, Knox,Lloyd Rees, Tucker, Nolan etc. Albert Namatjira’s work still gives me a tingle.
My favourite international artist is David Hockney, he saw landscapes, streetscapes and general run of the mill moments in peoples lives and got them on canvas. Simply brilliant. Went to see a lot of his art in LA in 2019 whilst on a surf trip.

My mother in law in Sweden gave me an old decrepit hard cover copy with a torn cover of ‘Australian Painters’, it was in an opp shop for $1. Geez, those painters really did have a ‘good time’, way out there, but skilled with foresight, vision, drugs, alcohol and anything else you bring to a life party. I’m a bit envious. I recall Lloyd Rees off his chops on something and gets on a raft in Darwin, made from a wooden pallet with a couple of 44 gallon drums and attempts to row to Indo. First Surf explorer? Didn’t get far for obvious reasons. AW.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Thursday, 3 Aug 2023 at 10:39am

Recognise this one AW?

IMG-1481

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Thursday, 3 Aug 2023 at 11:02am

GuySmiley. How things ? Streeton. He loved landscapes but he really loved seascapes, captured beautifully in all his work by the sea. AW.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Thursday, 3 Aug 2023 at 11:13am

Yes he did

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Thursday, 3 Aug 2023 at 11:30am

have you guys come across cornish artist kurt jackson? His style will defy AI, as he gets down and gritty, often there is sand and bits in his work. They feel vast, lonely and temporal, and you can feel the weather.
https://www.kurtjackson.com/

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Thursday, 3 Aug 2023 at 12:31pm
basesix wrote:

have you guys come across cornish artist kurt jackson? His style will defy AI, as he gets down and gritty, often there is sand and bits in his work. They feel vast, lonely and temporal, and you can feel the weather.
https://www.kurtjackson.com/

Basesix. Just had a look. Beautiful work, highly skilled, I’m sure AI will never be able to replicate what Kurt produces. . AW.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Thursday, 3 Aug 2023 at 1:07pm

Thanks for that basesix ….. sadly Fred passed away last year but his work will live on through the ages, true master https://ryesocietyofartists.co.uk/artist/fred-cuming/

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Thursday, 3 Aug 2023 at 7:21pm
Wilhelm Scream wrote:

# Great Conversation Here, Fellas. Cheers.

Wilhelm Scream. Hi. All a bit of fun, goes to show the diverse interests of subscribers, the different nature of thoughts and thinking by all of us, brains ticking overboard ten the dozen, very good for our mental health. Us surfers are more than just a torn Rip Curl tee-shirt ,jeans and a number in ya hand. May robust discussion never die. You are a pretty good scribe yourself . All the best WS.

Now, where are my Rollie papers. !!!. AW

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Friday, 4 Aug 2023 at 8:40am

Nice caption today @stu referencing what the artist would be seeing …

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Friday, 4 Aug 2023 at 9:39am

Hi.Guy. How’s the marbled nature of that sandstone up against the water colours . Has Streeton all over it, AW

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Friday, 4 Aug 2023 at 10:22am
AlfredWallace wrote:

Hi.Guy. How’s the marbled nature of that sandstone up against the water colours . Has Streeton all over it, AW

Indeed AW, Streeton painted such scenes around Sydney and in the Otways but reckon he would have waited until the light was much softer and painted the scene from way way back ….

@wilhelm thanks for that list, Turner a giant.

Check out wolfgang bloch guys and then mark Rothko a genius of edges

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Saturday, 5 Aug 2023 at 6:49am

haha, great caption.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Saturday, 5 Aug 2023 at 3:05pm

love the caption in today's dolphin WOTD - yep, that's why you don't see them winning any WSL comps

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Saturday, 5 Aug 2023 at 3:54pm

Great caption. Had a chuckle.
Never gets old. They always put a smile on my face.

Bnkref's picture
Bnkref's picture
Bnkref Saturday, 5 Aug 2023 at 10:23pm

10/10 caption. Gold.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Sunday, 6 Aug 2023 at 10:14am

Today’s artists palette of another classic Judy photo - ultramarine blue + lamp black (technically also a blue) + titanium white + just the smallest touch of a cadmium lemon

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Sunday, 6 Aug 2023 at 2:46pm

thanks too WS, some great image-engaging resulted in your recommendations.  Wolfgang Bloch is epic @Guy.  All his work looks like the front cover of today's trendy moorland-noir fiction.

@Guy, your colour-talk got me thinking, I've posted about her before, but I adore Clarice Beckett's tonalism.  Swellnet surfcams at dawn and dusk only exacerbate this adoration. She was a Max Meldrum follower, using light to dissolve form.  In musical terms, if Bloch is Mahler, Rothko Satie, Beckett is Debussy.  In more modern musical-terms if Enya and Hope Sandoval gave birth to a highly-engaged, unassuming piece of cotton-wool that loved observing people in distant misty scapes armed only with a piece of cardboard and some oils... well, she is the Emily Dickinson of Melbourne art in more ways than one.
Better than worrying about the voice. We are nice we say yes. They are self-righteous they say no. And we all sing along like before.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Sunday, 6 Aug 2023 at 4:03pm

Thank you for sharing those names @basesix, will check out and get back to you also need to check out all those @wilhelm mentioned

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Monday, 7 Aug 2023 at 11:59am

You can throw me into that swamp anytime you want! Love that wave!

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Thursday, 10 Aug 2023 at 7:20am

Ouch. Off topic, just read that EE broke his back at chores.
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/ewing-suffers-broken-back-in-teahupo-o-w...

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Thursday, 10 Aug 2023 at 7:25am

Wishing EE all the best in his recovery, just hope he’s able to surf again, world titles aren’t everything .

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 10 Aug 2023 at 7:38am

Heavy!!

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Thursday, 10 Aug 2023 at 8:22am

Great pic, fine line between heaven and hell! Heavy water.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Thursday, 10 Aug 2023 at 10:41am

Wonder how trip back up and over and down with the falls worked out. Never fun.

Solitude's picture
Solitude's picture
Solitude Thursday, 10 Aug 2023 at 10:43am

Imagine that from the side view. Scary moment.

Bnkref's picture
Bnkref's picture
Bnkref Thursday, 10 Aug 2023 at 11:42am

Cracker of a shot. Heavy beat down ahead.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 11 Aug 2023 at 7:42am

Gotta be Adam Robbo today?

Bnkref's picture
Bnkref's picture
Bnkref Friday, 11 Aug 2023 at 3:08pm

Good call Ben. He still rips out there.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Friday, 11 Aug 2023 at 3:27pm

Hope Ben's right, just tagged him on insta in it.

southernraw's picture
southernraw's picture
southernraw Friday, 11 Aug 2023 at 3:47pm

Great shot of a great wave Judy Scanlon.

greyhound's picture
greyhound's picture
greyhound Friday, 11 Aug 2023 at 4:06pm

I’m thinking no on robbo.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 11 Aug 2023 at 4:29pm

I agree. Just didn't have the guts to disagree with the bossman.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 11 Aug 2023 at 4:34pm

To be fair, if I'm wrong, I doubt the actual surfer would be unhappy being confused with Robbo.

Lovely style for both of 'em.

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Friday, 11 Aug 2023 at 5:06pm
thermalben wrote:

To be fair, if I'm wrong, I doubt the actual surfer would be unhappy being confused with Robbo.

Lovely style for both of 'em.

Did you write the insta caption?
Looks like Robbo has identified the unidentified.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 11 Aug 2023 at 6:12pm

Nah not me, can't stand Instagram.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Saturday, 12 Aug 2023 at 2:45pm

Wade's is more vertical, but I dig the similarities between today's WOTD and this cover shot of Matt Branson. Hair flying, arms counter-weighting, both even riding yellow Rustys.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Saturday, 12 Aug 2023 at 3:00pm

Branson was inspirational growing up, he was going off in the R rated vid by Rusty, a decent amount of down south footage too from memory, so you could try to emulate...

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Saturday, 12 Aug 2023 at 3:07pm

And boards so similar, how many decades apart?

Wade's pic is epic, beautiful colour water and upside down.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Saturday, 12 Aug 2023 at 3:16pm

How good does a yellow board look in tropical water!

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Sunday, 13 Aug 2023 at 9:34am

WOW

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Sunday, 13 Aug 2023 at 9:34am

WOW

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Sunday, 13 Aug 2023 at 9:35am

and WOWIE :)

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Sunday, 13 Aug 2023 at 9:44am

Am I being cynical, or is today's heavily photoshopped?

Nick Bone's picture
Nick Bone's picture
Nick Bone Sunday, 13 Aug 2023 at 9:54am

Wouldn’t they all be?