I heart WOTD

Blowin's picture
Blowin started the topic in Wednesday, 30 Jul 2014 at 8:07am

The wave of the day does it for me big time. Nice work Steen Barnes , Shaun Anderson and Swellnet.
In one photo you've encompassed everything nice about surfing. If I was a wanker I'd say that it was perfect except for the fact he is in a wetsuit. Which it is , it's perfect .....except for the fact he's in a wetsuit.

Ray Shirlaw's picture
Ray Shirlaw's picture
Ray Shirlaw Saturday, 29 Jan 2022 at 9:21am
zenagain wrote:

Is it Ray? That's what I thought it was too but others have said it isn't.

Bro in a place like EnZid its probably easier to work out where it Isn't ;)

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Saturday, 29 Jan 2022 at 10:09am

True that Cuz.

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Saturday, 29 Jan 2022 at 10:31am

impressive image slats

Sprout's picture
Sprout's picture
Sprout Tuesday, 1 Feb 2022 at 9:06am

Cracking shot, gorgeous light, reminds me of Hardy at Box.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Tuesday, 1 Feb 2022 at 9:37am

Yeah beautiful eh!

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 5 Feb 2022 at 8:00am

Looks like one of those turns which would feel amazing but would then cost you an extra thirty minutes of padding.

Assuming one does not have access to a ski.

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Saturday, 5 Feb 2022 at 8:18am

If it's the first wave of the set you commit to the turn, come in and run a lap.

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Saturday, 5 Feb 2022 at 9:29am

It’s taken me years to (maybe) develop the surfing maturity to (occasionally) kick off before the end section and save myself the epic paddle / sets on the head / washed down the beach scenario you described Blowin

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Saturday, 5 Feb 2022 at 9:39am

All of that but despite that, sometimes that end section is begging to be smashed.

Nothing more satisfying than making that last big blast.

(considering more often than not I don't)

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Saturday, 5 Feb 2022 at 10:00am

This talk of hitting the end section is bring back memories of being mercilessly dragged down a reef duck diving wave after wave between coral heads with my boardies washed down to my ankles. Not pretty ...

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Saturday, 5 Feb 2022 at 10:38am

Ha ha!

Is that how you got the nickname Shiny bum?

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Saturday, 5 Feb 2022 at 10:55am

I’ve been called many things zen but that’s not one of them :) gawd just remembered getting the wax off the downstairs dept was pretty bad :(

gsco's picture
gsco's picture
gsco Saturday, 5 Feb 2022 at 10:55am

That once happened to me at Lakey Pipe. Got my bum dragged along the reef and pants ripped apart. Had to paddle in and walk back naked…wasn’t embarrassing at all.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Saturday, 5 Feb 2022 at 11:24am

pays to advertise eh

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Saturday, 5 Feb 2022 at 11:46am

Hideaways for me. Didn’t lose them completely but totally shredded the arse out of my then favourite boardies being rather ungraciously dragged across the reef.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Saturday, 5 Feb 2022 at 12:16pm

I dropped a car battery by accident at the Mobil at Broadbeach and the acid splashed on my boardies and melted most of them away.

I quickly tipped the water from the window cleaner bucket over me but they were shredded.

Gnarly 'eh!

(true story)

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Saturday, 5 Feb 2022 at 12:24pm

Puts a new meaning to the term dropping some acid zen ...

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Saturday, 5 Feb 2022 at 1:13pm

dropping acid at the servo, no less

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Saturday, 5 Feb 2022 at 2:09pm

Ah boys... those were the days.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Sunday, 6 Feb 2022 at 11:44am

Today's looks very very familiar and the only Ryan Trickey I can find is a Melbourne based 20s something director (no less) of an eastern suburbs real estate agency which further confirms my suspicions about this wave. If my hunch is correct the wave is no secret and like every other wave in this area is mostly always well over crowded with the full chocolate box of surf skill and craft.

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Sunday, 6 Feb 2022 at 1:07pm

Once upon a time it used to be ok mid week.
Circus now.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 6 Feb 2022 at 1:46pm

That board that blokes holding does it look extra wide ..like 24 inches or more ?
or its just the Angle its being held at..

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Sunday, 6 Feb 2022 at 1:47pm

Standard Melbourne part time surfer design.
Maybe 21 wide.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Sunday, 6 Feb 2022 at 2:16pm
lostdoggy wrote:

Standard Melbourne part time surfer design.
Maybe 21 wide.

Perhaps more so one of a number of board models shaped by a local shaper designed for those reefs and yes the angle makes it look extra wide ...

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Sunday, 6 Feb 2022 at 2:44pm

To be fair, it also has a fair bit of surfer to keep afloat. Not a very flattering angle.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 6 Feb 2022 at 2:48pm

Thats a nice way of putting it..the distance from armpit to centre thigh caught my eye.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Sunday, 6 Feb 2022 at 3:05pm

... haha, and here I was thinking Ryan had done the usual RE agency trick of making a shit sandwich look like a gourmet lunch, focusing solely on the wave and looking straight the surfer!!

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Sunday, 6 Feb 2022 at 5:00pm

If it's where I think it is Guy, near where our mate Gilligan hangs out, he has made a pretty good wave look like an SEC house in Moe.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 6 Feb 2022 at 5:20pm

I rarely bother with this wave as so busy, but i actually had quite a good surf there before Xmas low tide wind a bit side shore but was overhead about 15 seconds period and only a few guys out.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Sunday, 6 Feb 2022 at 6:23pm

Bloody hell blackers you’re right, I was way off, only about 2hr drive apart, agree can be excellent but now always crowded.

Low tide info??

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Sunday, 6 Feb 2022 at 6:45pm

GS, ironically the two waves (the one it is, and the one I think you thought it was) are (almost) in the same line of view to the photog's angle. Hence both waves requiring opposite winds to each other. Thus, the giveaway here is the short arm steamer in the photo, suggesting a location more likely to be surfed in summer than winter (which favours the one you were thinking of).

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Sunday, 6 Feb 2022 at 7:25pm

You’re onto it Ben, both waves also share the background headlands depending on where a photographer was standing where I thought the waves was.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 6 Feb 2022 at 7:29pm
GuySmiley wrote:

Bloody hell blackers you’re right, I was way off, only about 2hr drive apart, agree can be excellent but now always crowded.

Low tide info??

Yeah I prefer it low tide incoming on a decent swell, has a bit more bite which keeps the City crowd down a bit, but best tide really is about half tide.

Its always been crowded though even in late 80s but sometime you luck out on a weekday often with no logic or reason to why.

Cockee's picture
Cockee's picture
Cockee Sunday, 6 Feb 2022 at 7:37pm

Stop beating around the bush boys and tell the world it's (drum roll) Mentone beach.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Sunday, 6 Feb 2022 at 8:13pm

totally agree info, just this one time ok, normal communication resumes tomorrow :)

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Sunday, 6 Feb 2022 at 8:31pm

Don't tell me it's true, I don't wanna hear about it.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Monday, 7 Feb 2022 at 4:59pm

Mmmm, let me guess now Steve does live on the SurfCoast and there only a few places with steps and slightly fewer with sand at the bottom nah too many for an educated guess :)

mattlock's picture
mattlock's picture
mattlock Tuesday, 8 Feb 2022 at 11:59am

Looks like Southern Ocean to me.

SA Wetdog's picture
SA Wetdog's picture
SA Wetdog Tuesday, 8 Feb 2022 at 12:11pm

Definitely looks like a shot of w cape for sure mattlock but must be straddie

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 8 Feb 2022 at 12:32pm

That’s an old shot of straddie.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 11 Feb 2022 at 5:55am

On a foamy no less.

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Saturday, 12 Feb 2022 at 1:23pm

wotd Jamie Mitchell. Speaking about the psychology of fear is on a different planet. In a vid some where he said he is quite comfortable with death from his passion when pushing it, As have other nutters. Really puts those crew out in another zone be it paddling, towing, slabs, big wave or whatever. The bar is high currently, and only rising. Guru's of performance that make it look easy. It has some what become normal to a number of crew to chase conditions you could easily die in. And the numbers of committed participants taking it on will only see levels rise higher. Impressive to see and how far it's is going to go and has come. As it seems like every year is another step up, in equipment and skill. Crazy times.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Sunday, 13 Feb 2022 at 10:03am

wotd looks pretty much perfect to me. Most wotd is out of my skill level, but today I would go.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Sunday, 13 Feb 2022 at 2:54pm

Looks like home.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Monday, 14 Feb 2022 at 4:00pm

I don't know if todays is even makeable or ridable.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Monday, 21 Feb 2022 at 10:34am

Great WOTD, you can feel the speed. Nice colour palette too.

Sprout's picture
Sprout's picture
Sprout Wednesday, 23 Feb 2022 at 10:41am

Today's is a bit oil painting, a bit tilt-shift, full of feel and a whole lot of incredible, but mostly just makes me want to be out there!

Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 Thursday, 24 Feb 2022 at 5:20pm

All eyes on Mick

Except for the dude in the foreground who's trying on his best Joey impersonation

Meanwhile, over his left shoulder, Mick is getting casually shacked.

gragagan's picture
gragagan's picture
gragagan Thursday, 24 Feb 2022 at 5:37pm

That's Occy setting up for the drop-in down the line haha making sure he doesn't look left "sorry mate I didn't see ya"

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Thursday, 24 Feb 2022 at 6:01pm

I hope he burned him . No sympathy for MF from me if he did. Not at that place anyway.