so how big was it

salt's picture
salt started the topic in Monday, 2 Sep 2013 at 7:12pm

A few mates and I have been talking about the swell on the mid today, I called it 3 ft, others 4 with 5 ft sets. The mid always gets called bigger than other places round here but 5ft? Nah. Anyway what a cracking day, cracking swell, many crew taking sickies I reckon, I'm fucking rooted. 15 on snakes at 11 must be a record.

mozzie's picture
mozzie's picture
mozzie Monday, 2 Sep 2013 at 9:06pm

Gulls/Secrets was 3 ft and occasional bigger but definitely not 4 or 5 ft. I think you would need some pretty good substances to make it appear 5ft...

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 3 Sep 2013 at 9:20am

Judging by the surfcam it looked to be a reasonably consistent 3ft with solid 4ft+ sets every twenty minutes or so. In my experience, Gulls is always a foot (or so) smaller than the rest of the Mid. Wonder if anyone scored any of the other funky spots up and down the coast?

salt's picture
salt's picture
salt Tuesday, 3 Sep 2013 at 7:41pm

Its funny Ben, this coast is nothing on other parts west of Adelaide but when we do get a bit of swell sneak into the gulf you see people surf spots not often surfed. Mostly these breaks are smaller a bit more inco than the known breaks but hey good to see. I bet some of those sneaky gems on foot would have faired well yesterday aswell

barley's picture
barley's picture
barley Tuesday, 3 Sep 2013 at 8:31pm

Its not bloody often you get a swell that strong and raw but with a se/e at under 5knots..Most of the spots on the boot were 5ft plus..with a couple being ridden at 10ft..very limited in places to go..I think this swell was better suited to the mid for sure..Never knew how many reefs started to show once the swell reached that size..good for the memory bank...and it lasted all day!! usually swell that size only lasts for a short time of the day..but this thing had enough guts to go from dawn 'til dusk without losing steam! Do you boys have an idea as to why? period maybe? be good to know

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Tuesday, 3 Sep 2013 at 9:11pm

The reason it lasted so long Barley was because there were two extremely strong storms firing up in close succession one after the other. Also each storm produced winds over an area of ocean bigger than Victoria.

What resulted was a huge open ocean swell state spanning over 1,000kms of ocean translating to a prolonged swell event lasting all day in South Oz.

I love these systems, especially when they arrive somewhere with perfect local winds!

maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley Tuesday, 3 Sep 2013 at 10:46pm

Yorkes was BIG on Monday - as big and clean as I have seen. BD's was a pretty consistent 5-6ft with some 8ft sets especially in the morning. It settled down after lunch but still plenty of bombs. Sheet glass all day. Today wasn't too shabby either :)

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Wednesday, 4 Sep 2013 at 6:24am

It was very big and grunty around this way on Monday. best for quite some time, didn't see any Mickfree's around. :-))

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Wednesday, 4 Sep 2013 at 9:12am

I'm bleeding .
Mid last week i had options for either Sat. / Mon. or Tues. .
As so often happens the moment Saturdays forecast turned and stronger & more NNW winds were forecast to arrive earlier . I got stuck with Sat. as the ONLY option for this little black duck . :-( ( on a lighter note , Shaun its been wet in your neck of the woods . I almost parked my chariot in a sinkhole on Sat . ) almost

Apart from Smux , taking on the world . i haven't heard much whispers of sessions of which i missed . Which probably translates as EPIC . I reckon ol' Goof may have felt like he was in Indo . ;-)

mick-free's picture
mick-free's picture
mick-free Wednesday, 4 Sep 2013 at 10:56am

Thanks Shaun, did a run through WA and Indo so missed out. 6m streaky bay, and a bunch of new waves surfed. I'm be in though if you give me a heads up next time. Booked in for Cactus second week of NSW school holidays though so looking forward to some SA desert time. How light were the winds, looks picture perfect!

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Wednesday, 4 Sep 2013 at 11:35am

Sorry dicky-knee, but the waves I surf would not be a challenge for a charger like yourself, if they were any good it would have other people surfing them wouldn't they, so no point getting a heads up from me.

At Cactus be sure to read the flyer, no postcards :-)

Yeah Southy, it was a bit wet, but it's drying out real quick, waters still warm.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 4 Sep 2013 at 11:45am

Thanks Shaun, did a run through WA and Indo so missed out.

By: "mick-free"

Bloody hell Mick, I swear you have the ultimate life. Is there any epic swell anywhere in the world that you haven't surfed in the last couple of years?

mick-free's picture
mick-free's picture
mick-free Wednesday, 4 Sep 2013 at 3:06pm

Shit Ben I have missed heaps! Surfing and chasing down waves has been a bit of escapism as I have had to search for my kidnapped son over the last few years and eventually find him in Berlin.

Now with your new models I'm keen to go anywhere looking for quality swells and experiencing a particular wave at its best. Its hard sitting on the flat Northern Beaches watching Padang going nuts, its doing my head in.

Yesterday looks like it was the one of the best days of the year in Indo and SA.
Shaun patronising me is a waste of time. I just want to surf when its good as much as I can big and small.

Ben got missions lined up for Gnarloo, Tassie and home to West Coast of NZ in the next few months. My best trip ever was Taiwan on a typhoon. I still think Craig and I should have gone to Bali this week. I mean he could have done his reports from Single Fin at Ulu's, giving a comprehensive report into Outside Corner!

spunjah's picture
spunjah's picture
spunjah Wednesday, 4 Sep 2013 at 6:05pm

anyone know if any mid coast pics of monday have been posted on any websites??

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 4 Sep 2013 at 6:29pm

the mid fthhh.....lets see some from schmucker over west

derra83's picture
derra83's picture
derra83 Wednesday, 4 Sep 2013 at 6:39pm

Shit Ben I have missed heaps! Surfing and chasing down waves has been a bit of escapism as I have had to search for my kidnapped son over the last few years and eventually find him in Berlin.

By: "mick-free"

Are you serious mate??? If you are then you get my utmost respect. Ignore the haters on here and surf, then ignore the surf and look after your family.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 4 Sep 2013 at 6:46pm

cape decoudic wave buoy had readings of 11 mtrs on Monday.

salt's picture
salt's picture
salt Wednesday, 4 Sep 2013 at 8:46pm

spunjah, I'm with you any pics of the mid on Monday doing the traps. Udo, I'm sure the west coast was of the charts, but what's wrong with wanting to see a few decent pics of ths mid from Monday, for fuck sake it may be nothing to the rest of Oz, but for those of us are lucky or unlucky enough to call it home it interests us. Personally I love the joint, beautiful beaches affordable housing good fishing, yeah the waves suck most of the time, and the crowds can be mental. There are worst places in this world that is for sure

spunjah's picture
spunjah's picture
spunjah Wednesday, 4 Sep 2013 at 9:56pm

Amen to that salt! there were a fair few lenses out aswell seen about four sitting in they're spots for the most of the day at seaford. and yeah Udo I like to look at the place I live 500 mtrs up the road from and walk to! not have to drive 8-10 hrs through the F'ing desert and dirt roads just to get to (as good as it is tho).

markxxx's picture
markxxx's picture
markxxx Wednesday, 4 Sep 2013 at 10:08pm

photo photo_14.jpg" alt="Image" />

markxxx's picture
markxxx's picture
markxxx Wednesday, 4 Sep 2013 at 10:10pm

Post deleted.

Didn't think it'd be an issue posting that photo as it was posted in the comments on Swellnet's Facebook page.

jasper99's picture
jasper99's picture
jasper99 Thursday, 5 Sep 2013 at 9:48am

If I'm not mistaken it's almost as if someone is spewing that another piece of SA coastline got talked about this week!!!
Am I right?

ben-colyer's picture
ben-colyer's picture
ben-colyer Thursday, 5 Sep 2013 at 10:39am

I paddled out to Trigs at 5.30 only barely able to see, figured there was swell due to the sound, but in the gloom it didn't seem to have any size. When I got to where I thought the spot was 3 waves closed out between trigs & U'ys.....wtf? there were a few more sets do the same (lowish tide though. Took half an hour to get the first wave, paddling against the rip and trying to find the spot. Was only a quick before work session, not the best I've seen or surfed the mid, but shit, it had push like the mid hasn't had for a bloody long time. Didn't have time to whip the camera out....bugger. Should have organised a day off & headed to Yorkes....bugger.

amb's picture
amb's picture
amb Thursday, 5 Sep 2013 at 2:59pm

. Wonder if anyone scored any of the other funky spots up and down the coast?

By: "thermalben"

Thermal...The funky spot just north of where you use to live was being surfed, probaby the best i have seen it.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 5 Sep 2013 at 3:20pm

Wow.. how big AMB?

maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley Thursday, 5 Sep 2013 at 3:24pm

Is it OK to post other people's photos? Guess if you have permission it's ok....Seem to remember reading an article about this - may have even been on this site.

maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley Thursday, 5 Sep 2013 at 3:28pm
thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 5 Sep 2013 at 3:32pm

Forums are a bit of a grey area in that respect MDM. However it's always nice to ask for permission before you use anyone's thing of anything.

ben-colyer's picture
ben-colyer's picture
ben-colyer Thursday, 5 Sep 2013 at 5:19pm

amb, was that a spot that requires considerable paddling?
(Not knowing TB's former address)
I'd love to see shots of some of the lesser frequented spots. Spose if I had stuck around I could have seen them myself.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 5 Sep 2013 at 5:26pm

Nah Ben, we're only talking about the West Beach boat harbour. Shoulder high and glassy is as good as I've ever seen it.