new smartphones and their inability to livestream coastwatch cameras

brow-nobbys's picture
brow-nobbys started the topic in Friday, 26 Jul 2013 at 6:38pm

Apparently cant be done on all phones that are "built" within the last six months... I've got a windows htc smartphone but it wont livestream coastalwatch video or swellnet video... can anyone help?

darrendobbie's picture
darrendobbie's picture
darrendobbie Saturday, 27 Jul 2013 at 8:55am

Brow, you need to dig a hole and put the htc in the bottom of it.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Saturday, 27 Jul 2013 at 9:37am

BN - we have an iPhone and Android App launching in September. However I'm not sure if it'll work on a Windows HTC phone (it's possible but certainly not guaranteed). Until then there's not much you can do - sorry.

joakse's picture
joakse's picture
joakse Saturday, 27 Jul 2013 at 12:59pm

It has nothing to do with the HTC. Download a copy of Puffin browser. It is both Apple and Android and from memory costs $2.99 or so. I use it on both my iPad and Android Phone to check coastalwatch videos. In fact that is all I use it for but worth the small cost. It works by re-routing the Flash video from Puffin servers so solves the Apple issues of no Flash support.

brow-nobbys's picture
brow-nobbys's picture
brow-nobbys Saturday, 27 Jul 2013 at 1:16pm

Thanks boys for all the info, I'll take it all on board n let you know what works!

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Saturday, 27 Jul 2013 at 1:17pm

By the way, it's worth pointing out that Swellnet cams stream perfectly on iPhones at the moment (in Safari). It's a little clutzy to use but is still worth the effort.