Advice on Late Season Indo

Scott Butcher's picture
Scott Butcher started the topic in Wednesday, 25 Jun 2014 at 7:56pm

Heading to indo late season ( oct/nov ), been there plenty of times, but am chasing some info on this time of year. Any thoughts would be great.

dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan Wednesday, 25 Jun 2014 at 11:21pm

I don't class October as late season these days - the last five or six seasons I have been scoring dry season spots offshore all the way up until December. Just go wherever you usually like to go I reckon, though Lombok is a good choice. It's easy enough to go from dry season to a wet season wave within a ten minute bike ride, so finding the offshore shouldn't be too hard.

billroy's picture
billroy's picture
billroy Thursday, 26 Jun 2014 at 10:48am

What about Jan? Can one expect much swell? Assuming the east coast would be the best option..

dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan Thursday, 26 Jun 2014 at 12:46pm

I just wrote a massive post about what to expect then my conscience got the better of me haha. If that's the only time you have off work, then go. You'll probably get some good waves but January is always tough to predict. One day you could be surfing Keramas the next Ulus. Swell might get big, but will likely be smaller and less powerful. If I was doing a trip in January, I would definitely be looking for a spot that has more to offer than just waves.

billroy's picture
billroy's picture
billroy Thursday, 26 Jun 2014 at 2:49pm

Cheers dandandan. Done a bit of reading with mixed reviews also, from what I gather it is the worst time of the year for waves... That being said, anything semi-cleanish and head-high and beyond would be satisfying and better than home. Would be keen on checking out Lombok and Sumbawa (got about 3 weeks)

keegz's picture
keegz's picture
keegz Thursday, 26 Jun 2014 at 4:37pm

Went to indo Jan last year, and if what I saw is anything to go off.... one word 'Lembongan'.