Oil rigs in Bight.

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer started the topic in Wednesday, 11 Jun 2014 at 12:06pm
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Friday, 13 Jun 2014 at 1:18pm

Hmmm.... I think you should go to your gp, and bring up your phobia of cockroaches...... Maybe even get anti depressants prescribed..... Bring up a childhood trauma about the cockroach that was in your open mouth when you woke up.....
Then in about three months, whilst at a very swanky eatery, slip a cockroach into your soup.....
Then just fuckn lose it!!!!!! Mental breakdown..... lol

salt's picture
salt's picture
salt Friday, 13 Jun 2014 at 1:45pm

What I have never understood is why the fuck do we get bent over the petrol bowser every time we fill up our cars? If we produce so much oil and gas shouldn't we at least get it cheaper? I know, I know, we are in the world market, the prices are not set by us ..... blah blah blah. Why cant we just pump a bit out for ourselves, refine it ourselves...... yeah thats right refine it ourselves! WTF! And sell it cheap to ourselves. Look at the price of natural gas lately going up up up, why because SANTOS or someone has signed some massive supply deal with Japan, and as they are paying shit loads the companies are saying we Aussies have to pay more as well. Its bullshit.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Friday, 13 Jun 2014 at 2:01pm

Gold Blowin that's pretty fucking funny:) Take ya woolies Blowin as it gets cold in there as well watermelons freeze which could be a good thing.

Sheepio love the story with ya old boy, good memories that you never forget, which make us realise how true to the fact and real how the oldies explain things, without bullshit...! Bit different these days, so many people are full of.............Watermelons:)

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Friday, 13 Jun 2014 at 2:06pm
salt wrote:

What I have never understood is why the fuck do we get bent over the petrol bowser every time we fill up our cars? If we produce so much oil and gas shouldn't we at least get it cheaper? I know, I know, we are in the world market, the prices are not set by us ..... blah blah blah. Why cant we just pump a bit out for ourselves, refine it ourselves...... yeah thats right refine it ourselves! WTF! And sell it cheap to ourselves. Look at the price of natural gas lately going up up up, why because SANTOS or someone has signed some massive supply deal with Japan, and as they are paying shit loads the companies are saying we Aussies have to pay more as well. Its bullshit.

Fully agree Salt, I would not have a clue why...? Its disgraceful, maybe someone else can answer this on SN, sure there are plenty of well represented people that can.....?

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Friday, 13 Jun 2014 at 2:12pm

One possibility salt is unlike some middle-eastern countries who sell petrol to their people for peanuts we are a sovereign nation and our resources are owned by the sovereign-ie the Queen. Companies like Rio Tinto are controlled by British banks where much of the capital is backed by the Monarchy.

An example of this occurred in 1975 when Gough Whitlam attempted to nationalise the mines in Australia. The Queen rubber stamped his removal by the Governer General. There was no way the sovereign was going to let our resources be controlled by the offspring of a bunch of convicts!

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 13 Jun 2014 at 2:37pm

Instead of threatening existing companies with nationalisation , why didn't we source our own gas and build our own LNG plant with the money that was used for the stimulus package ?

Pluto at Karratha cost $15 billion to build , deducting that from the approx $42 billion spent on the stimulus packages would leave a few dollars for sourcing the primary resources. In fact WA s already in possession of gas fields ( Browse ) .

The money would have paid wages and employed Oz manufacturers thereby stimulating the economy as surely as giving cash to crew to buy flat screens with and the completed project would provide profits for years as well as an ironclad source of domestic gas.

As for rising gas prices, that's now being used as justification for the use of CSG, as if the availability of domestic gas is due to a lack of product and not because the Gas co's would rather chase higher profits through maximising exports.

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Friday, 13 Jun 2014 at 2:45pm

Projects like building gas plants have a long lead time blowin, the GFC hit very quickly and the stimulus measures were designed to provide an immediate effect. It's hard to say whether we really needed it. Like a flu-vaccine at the beginning of winter, you always wonder"maybe I wouldn't have got the flu anyway?" The fact that Australia was one of the few countries to avoid recession suggests it had the desired effect?

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Friday, 13 Jun 2014 at 2:48pm

Yes Blowin fully agree. Greedy greedy greedy fucks, nothing for the country at all.

I think Woodside had to get away from other companies and make their own money.
I never knew until last month going out on the NRA/NRB that this project was owned by many, Shell/ BP/Chevron/Woodside maybe Apache...? Not sure if I'm correct here, but 5 different companies have been involved with this for 30 years....?
So for the last 30 years, NRA (North Rankin Alpha) has made $5 million per day....?
No wonder Woodside wanted to start their own adventure (Pluto).

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Friday, 13 Jun 2014 at 2:56pm
yorkessurfer wrote:

Projects like building gas plants have a long lead time blowin, the GFC hit very quickly and the stimulus measures were designed to provide an immediate effect. It's hard to say whether we really needed it. Like a flu-vaccine at the beginning of winter, you always wonder"maybe I wouldn't have got the flu anyway?" The fact that Australia was one of the few countries to avoid recession suggests it had the desired effect?

Classic YS, talking about flu-vaccines, never again, was out offshore last year, big thing about flu-vaccines, "GET IT DONE NOW, FREE ETC ETC", Well stupid Ol Welly never ever had one before, got one done the day before I was to fly home, Sunday morning. HAhaha Sunday lunchtime I was absolutely fucked.... that night could not breathe, me head was gonna explode... Never again Never.
HAhahaha
Refrain from flu shots everyone , no need in my eyes at all.......:)

inzider's picture
inzider's picture
inzider Friday, 13 Jun 2014 at 2:57pm

In NZ we had a government who borrowed mega in the early 80's to establish our own exploration companies and refinement plants to process our Oil and NAtural gas. problem was the general public didnt all convert their cars to gas, the global price for oil went down, we were paying massive interest on our loans we borrowed to build it all. The next government that got voted in fuckin sold it all off for peanuts to overseas companies like Canadian methanex who are now cleaning up squillions of dollars from gas exports to the rest of the world and we are now paying $2.20 a litre at the bowser.
We could have been self sufficient but at the end of the day we all collectivley fucked it up by voting in a new pack of short sighted fucktatrds.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Friday, 13 Jun 2014 at 3:18pm

Happens all the time Inzider, look what is happening here in Aus, a shame....!

My old man went to CNG in his L300 Mitsi Van in the late 80's, the work van to get 6 of his painters to work from Plimmerton into Wellington every day, cheap as chips, the van did 1,000,000 kms. hhahaha fucking classic, Howz blowin those goats going;)

inzider's picture
inzider's picture
inzider Saturday, 14 Jun 2014 at 4:18am

Welly my reformed hardboot shredlord, there is a plague of feral goats in the naki, so no shortage.
There is a shortage of snow on the local pimple though,
CNG was the business , my old fulla worked for Natural GAs corp for ever. Our family wag run on it till they stopped selling it. Crying shame all this oil and gas between OZ and NZ cant be kept more in house.
Mind you there are several OZ companies who have made 100's of millions from producing wells offshore here in NZ, so some of it stays semi local. They took the risk and reap the reward.
Anadarko just spent mega millions drilling a hole off raglan and it was a plug and abandon. much to the delight of the locals. Here in the naki we have had one minor offshore spill by an ozzie company, who sponsor the ASP girls comp they have here, fuckin ludicrous set up.

bassnake's picture
bassnake's picture
bassnake Monday, 22 Dec 2014 at 8:34am

Just to put peoples fears to rest a little here, the drilling program by BP in the Bight SW of Ceduna will be one of the safest and environmentally sound drilling programs found anywhere in the world.
Sure there have been accidents and spills resulting in huge environmental f*** ups, however lets be a little realistic here, how do we get to our next surf generally-we drive, so we need oil/gas for energy
yes we need a beautiful clean pristine environment, and I love nothing more than walking along isolated beaches and just loving the absolute beauty of the ocean area, but man is a progressive beast and we need energy.
hands up those who use the internet, iphones, jets to get to os surf, surfboards to break it down even further--so we need oil and gas for the modern world we live in.

BP was involved to its neck in the Deepwater Horizon f*** up in the Gulf of Mexico and have been fined and sued for billions-don't you think that the shareholders there are going to put up with any more balls ups. The oil & gas industry in Australia hasa very good track record for operating as an environmentally friendly as they possibly can, look at the oil fields operating in Bass Strait since the late 60's and also the WA fields up near Barrow Is sma e time frame.

Overall there will be a cost to the environment, but essentially the whole basis of this program in the Bight is to operate with as small a footprint as feasibly possible, in the pursuit of oil & gas supplies to supply Australia and possibly export as well.

And yes if you had not figured already I have to declare a self interest here, I am employed in the oil & gas industry working offshore aboard ships that service the industry, so I see first hand the efforts made to keep operations as safe as possible not just for humans but also the environment.

But more importantly I am a person who has a long history of living by the ocean surfing, sailing, diving, fishing etc, and I would be absolutely gutted if there were any great spills in our pristine marine areas, offshore as well as coastal (where the majority of people interact with the ocean).

So lets see what the boffins who are working in the Great Australian Bight Research Program come up with before we condemm the program before it even gets started.

Cheers and I hope you all have a massive festive season and enjoy some waves over summer

chin's picture
chin's picture
chin Monday, 22 Dec 2014 at 11:42am
bassnake wrote:

BP was involved to its neck in the Deepwater Horizon f*** up in the Gulf of Mexico and have been fined and sued for billions-don't you think that the shareholders there are going to put up with any more balls ups.

BP's behaviour since the Gulf oil spill has been nothing short of appalling.

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Monday, 22 Dec 2014 at 1:15pm

here's your precedent bassnake .

Look at what Shell has currently done in Aust . close up shop and sell the clean up to some other fool ....Their aging infrastructure here is typical of what big oil represents .
Now they are moving on to floating LNG platform / ship plants . I spose that way they can get away without the clean up costs all together when they have to decommission them . Of course at the end of their 25 year life cycles they'll just tow it to Bangledesh or India and let their scrap merchants deal with ( or lack of deal ) in most case .
how about we just start seriously looking at Alternatives .
You may not take the renewables sector serious , but the UAE amongst others are , had a look at the falling oil price lately , for years Dubai and others have spent billions chasing income for long term returns when oil runs out in their patch . And now they are furiously making sure that renewables growth becomes stunted by " giving the oil away " in comparison to recent years .
I think alot of these mega companies saw rareity of oil supply as a Boon for future revenue , but didn't count on the likes of Elon Musk , Japanese Battery manufactures , and Chinese government backed Solar enterprises .

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave Tuesday, 23 Dec 2014 at 12:02pm

yeah, southey
whilst doing research lately, read interesting book by ex oxford professor who worked in oil/gas exploration for years then taught.
it seems nearly every country has been lying about reserves. Cheeky bastards have gone around buying up patents and getting no comment clauses signed so that they will capitalise on what is unavoidable- a shift in energy use. Thats why I am ensuring that all nations at Pais in April in 2015 know as much as they can so they dont have wool pulled over eyes.
Tesla came as close to anybody as pulling off the science of basically usinf life energy in a safe way to use as electricity on planet earth without zapping ourselves or building up electrical static deadly dishcarges.

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave Tuesday, 23 Dec 2014 at 12:04pm

love my spelling in last post, university educated and all.

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Monday, 25 May 2015 at 8:43am

Internal documents have revealed BP would have to transport containment response equipment 14,000km from Texas to the Bight in the event of an oil spill from the rigs they are proposing of the South Australian coast!
http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/may/25/bp-would-need-to-bring-e...

salt's picture
salt's picture
salt Monday, 25 May 2015 at 1:39pm

That article made me feel sick in the guts, in fact the whole subject fills me with dread. How the fuck they can even think of allowing drilling in the Bight is beyond me.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 8 Jul 2015 at 6:48pm

Is drilling going ahead ?
EDIT : Sure is - story in SMH may 20th $1b worth of exploration.

inzider's picture
inzider's picture
inzider Friday, 24 Jul 2015 at 4:15pm

dont believe what you read in the paper.
at current oil prices I doubt any ones going to throw down a billion for exploration in the bight.
With Iran set to start pumping millions more barrels onto the market my guess would be the bight is safe for a while.

barley's picture
barley's picture
barley Friday, 28 Aug 2015 at 9:35am

Chevron about to begin drilling in the bight. ffs

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 28 Aug 2015 at 10:12am

barley wrote:

Chevron about to begin drilling in the bight. ffs

Think of all the jobs Barley!

barley's picture
barley's picture
barley Friday, 28 Aug 2015 at 10:16am

Ah stuey, i knew you would have something intelligent to say!

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 28 Aug 2015 at 10:26am

barley wrote:

Ah stuey, i knew you would have something intelligent to say!

It's great getting compliments such as that, Barley.

Yeeeew!

barley's picture
barley's picture
barley Friday, 28 Aug 2015 at 10:30am

You do know where the bight is dont ya?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 28 Aug 2015 at 10:32am

Not really...is it anywhere near your backyard?

barley's picture
barley's picture
barley Friday, 28 Aug 2015 at 10:45am

You know theres a whole nother country outsida sydney! ;)

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 28 Aug 2015 at 10:46am

Yeah but Sydney is a real nice country.

barley's picture
barley's picture
barley Friday, 28 Aug 2015 at 10:52am

Was over there yesty..not surfin but on a farming coporate junket. I dont mind mining but out there is fucked up..go mine in the desert somewhere thats already fucked.why fuck the bight up?

trippergreenfeet's picture
trippergreenfeet Friday, 28 Aug 2015 at 11:11am

What fucked desert land would that be barley? Most desert lands are for the most part untouched (dkscounting feral animals), unless you count the wastelands that are farming lands that have been raped and pillaged for a century or more. The patches of fucked desert is because those spots have already been mined.

Why is desert less important than an ocean, they both help the earth breathe.

barley's picture
barley's picture
barley Friday, 28 Aug 2015 at 11:36am

Have you been north of coober pedy tripper?or out past broken hill? You telling me that thats less useful than the bight?

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Friday, 28 Aug 2015 at 4:14pm

Pretty hard subject here!

IMO we can not stop these huge conglomerate companies with billions of dollars stopping what they do, to make more billions.

Yeah Barley I do feel for you, especially when these companies have so many procedures in place for catastrophes not to go wrong, but they do......!

It is such a shame but this is 2015 now.
Money hungry greedy fucking pigs IMO.
Disrespectful for human civilisation.

trippergreenfeet Friday, 28 Aug 2015 at 8:19pm
barley wrote:

Have you been north of coober pedy tripper?or out past broken hill? You telling me that thats less useful than the bight?

I have been to those places and many more remote parts of Oz that most people will never see or even know exist...as for the places you mention, quite as useful as the bight if approached with some forward thinking...can you come up with any idea's barley...Idea's that don't fall back on old paradigms and technology?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 19 Sep 2015 at 12:11pm

Confirmed - drilling to take place late 2016, a 36 story rig 300kms sth/sw of Ceduna
2nd Rig to be in position and operational by late 2017.

Rig chopper service to be based Ceduna.

inzider's picture
inzider's picture
inzider Saturday, 19 Sep 2015 at 4:04pm

36 story rig ?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 19 Sep 2015 at 4:29pm

36 stories - as in as high as I guess ,ocean level to top of flare stack ?

Alternate chopper pad could be at Coorabie.

inzider's picture
inzider's picture
inzider Saturday, 19 Sep 2015 at 5:47pm

Probably to the top of the crown block from sea level.
Dont beleive what you read in papers about oil drilling plans anywhere.
No doubt they will have a dig sometime in the future but my money would be on them maybe drilling a hole or two to keep their lease obligations? Minimising expenditure in these current oil price times. Not sure how it works in OZ but in NZ if they dont drill something within a time frame they loose the lease. We had million dollar a day drill ship off raglan last year doing such things. Drilled a hole, found SFA and buggered off, (for a while).

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Saturday, 19 Sep 2015 at 5:57pm

36 stories high is probably around 110-120m high.

Like Inzider said to the top of the crown block! Agreed;)

Anyways it's just a drill rig, trying to find oil, drilling holes to make Australians richer.

It's all a scam, just like Inzider has stated.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Saturday, 19 Sep 2015 at 6:00pm

I should say tho, apparently there is shit loads of oil in NZ waters yet to be tapped, due to engineering difficulties?

inzider's picture
inzider's picture
inzider Saturday, 19 Sep 2015 at 6:15pm

My guess welly is not engineering difficulties, but the price of oil. There are offshore blocks aplenty all over NZ owned by big oil, where are the rigs ? not a single rig drilling offshore here and only one onshore rig tapping away to supply Motonui . Big oil dont want to drag rigs around the globe willy nilly for 40 huck a barrel . The oil game is very complex at present.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Sunday, 20 Sep 2015 at 5:46pm

Yeah I hear ya about the price thing.
Yes the oil game is really complex at the mo.
But tapping into some big fields in NZ are kilometers deep, especially in the bottom south-west which is a ginormous engineering feat, which can't be done at the mo.
Anyways fucking oil shit eh!
Pow pow turns rule........;-)

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 21 Sep 2015 at 9:23am

Got links to this info Udo?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 21 Sep 2015 at 10:31am

Read it in Pt Lincoln times so not sure how correct it is ?

trippergreenfeet Monday, 21 Sep 2015 at 10:48am

How's this little gem Shell negotiated with the Canadian govt.

e wrote:

A Nova Scotia environmentalist is criticizing federal Environment Minister Leona Aglukkaq's decision to approve an "almost inconceivable" offshore drilling plan from Shell that allows up to 21 days to contain a subsea blowout, despite the U.S. requiring the same company to cap blowouts within 24 hours

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/shell-gets-ok-to-take-21-days-to-cap-blowouts-off-nova-scotia-coast-1.3179496

21 days...what fucken drugs are these people on...obviously the best drug of all, monneeeyyyy...yee fuckin haa.

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Friday, 9 Oct 2015 at 9:47am

Here's the latest modelling for BP's oil drilling plan in the Great Australian Bight. The first well will be drilled next year.
http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/oct/09/bp-oil-spill-in-great...

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Friday, 9 Oct 2015 at 10:12am

Jeez, there are so many things wrong with this!

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 9 Oct 2015 at 11:36am

Frightening stuff. Wow.

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Friday, 9 Oct 2015 at 4:57pm

From ACB's link- "Mr Owen says the problem for BP is that conditions in the Bight are far more treacherous than they were in the Gulf of Mexico.
Bight waves are 4-6 six times bigger than the waves in the Gulf of Mexico around the time of BP’s disaster. The Bight is also far more windy.”

How could they possibly contain any spill if an accident coincides with the type of weather that the Great Australian Bight is notorious for?

Check out this image of maximum wave heights from the Cape du Couedic wave bouy off Kangaroo Island during a one week period in May. An average maximum height of 8-10 metres with a peak of 18 metres.

Compare that with these images of BP's oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico and with emergency boats parked around in perfect calm waters struggling to contain the fire and spill?
Good luck trying to contain any such accident in the most treacherous waters in the world?