krui??

the-flying-dog's picture
the-flying-dog started the topic in Tuesday, 28 Aug 2012 at 4:31pm

Heading over to krui, south sumatra in a few weeks time. Anyone got a few tips on where to surf and what boards I should be taking?

erikb's picture
erikb's picture
erikb Thursday, 1 Jun 2017 at 10:52pm

The driver that picked med up from bandar lampung to take me down to krui, as the only passenger, ran down someone on a motorbike and fled the scene. Was a fuckt up experience. Its 5-6 hours easy by car on an at times very bumpy road.

crip's picture
crip's picture
crip Thursday, 1 Jun 2017 at 11:08pm

We've been using 1-cover for several years, with a couple of small claims which were looked after really well. Certainly recommended. Their policy looks good, quite extensive coverage. But I don't have a motorbike licence so I know I'm not covered, so have resisted the temptation to hop on a scooter - e.g. to surf somewhere else on Rote.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 1 Jun 2017 at 11:10pm

Cathalhanly, as you might have gathered from the previous comments, you want to be well switched on for that ride (no surprise).

The traffic is pretty sketchy and lots of that road can potentially be taken at 80-100km/h, lulling you in to a false sense of security until you come across fucking big potholes and broken road at a rate of knots.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 2 Jun 2017 at 8:37am

On a motorbike doing it safely i reckon it would take you 8 hours at least, kind of pointless unless you were doing it purely for the adventure aspect, if it was me, id just hire some motorbikes in Krui and head east or west and explore past the regularly surfed breaks,

I traveled by bus once all the way to Bengukulu the road follows the coast most of the way and most of the coastline is crapy beach breaks, but i bet if you had a motorbike and really took your time checking it out, you would find something worth surfing.