krui??

the-flying-dog's picture
the-flying-dog started the topic in Tuesday, 28 Aug 2012 at 4:31pm

Heading over to krui, south sumatra in a few weeks time. Anyone got a few tips on where to surf and what boards I should be taking?

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Tuesday, 28 Aug 2012 at 4:55pm

TFD, I've spent a bit of time there and love it. Great variety of breaks in all different conditions. Take your normal shorty or two and take a step up also if your into the bigger heavier stuff. There is choice to suit all levels.

I'm not going to mention all the breaks on here, but there are around 12+ reef breaks, all within 1/2 drive from Krui, with 3 within 5 min walk of Krui itself. Then there are 2 different beaches with beach breaks that I put in the same callibre as Sth Straddy.

Depending on where you are staying, just talk to people and you'll suss it out.

I'm going back next year and I can't wait. I've used up all my OS holidays this year and the Mrs has put the hand break on any more this year.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 29 Aug 2012 at 8:54am

with 3 within 5 min walk of Krui itself..

By: "fitzroy-21"

And by the looks of it, one of thse spots is his little profile pic thingy :)

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Wednesday, 29 Aug 2012 at 9:19am

Indo, I reckon Fitzy's avatar is the Southern GBR. He's a boat skipper and that's his stomping grounds. Looks like Indo though.

He probably wouldn't tell you where though:)

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Wednesday, 29 Aug 2012 at 9:27am

Well there you go, even says so on his profile page.

Indo, enjoy reading your input on Indonesia, looks like you've put some time in there. Wish I could say the same.

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Wednesday, 29 Aug 2012 at 12:22pm

I do have a little wave out here like that Zen, but I'm afraid that Indo is spot on. Directly out the front of where I stay there.

Hope all is well with you Zen. Been getting some funny reports of fall out from over in your area.

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Wednesday, 29 Aug 2012 at 12:25pm

Sorry Zen, wrong choice of words. Interesting (not funny)

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Wednesday, 29 Aug 2012 at 2:31pm

I stand corrected.

All good here Fitzy. Been a bit happening on alll fronts with the Koreans and Chinese and Russians all laying claim to Islands situated within Japanese waters. Who's to know who's right? They're either good fishing grounds or rich in oil and gas so everyone wants a piece of them.

Fukushima hardly rates a mention now, lot of their surfers down our way but I havn't surfed there since, just drove around a couple of times having a look around.

Wave wise we scored a local fickle reef 3 days in a row here on the weekend. Can only surf it mid to high tide on a really acute south swell. Got it head to head and half and as fun as you could want it. Soft kinda take off out the back, coupla cutties then goes square on the inside. Only half a dozen out at a time, plenty of waves for everyone.

Summer here, got my month in boardies and life is good. Hope all the same for you.

Shoulda known not to question Indo:)

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 29 Aug 2012 at 9:33pm

Indo, enjoy reading your input on Indonesia, looks like you've put some time in there. Wish I could say the same.

By: "zenagain"

Ha ha..thanks..a bit of time but not as much as I would like.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 29 Aug 2012 at 9:47pm

Directly out the front of where I stay there..

By: "fitzroy-21"

That's an interesting choice of places to be based on that coast as a stand up, I always thought of SS as more of a lids camp.

Is the choice of being based there for the extra luxury, little more up market factor or about waves?

As I know lots of guys go to the area but rarely get away from ombak bocur/karang niymbor but can imagine being located at SS means you are forced to travel around more giving more chance to score other spots possibly without crowds.

bungan's picture
bungan's picture
bungan Thursday, 30 Aug 2012 at 10:21am

TFD,

Do you self a favour and check out where the smaller boats can take you from Krui harbour.
Hint: You dont need Bananas for lunch!

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Thursday, 30 Aug 2012 at 10:42am

Yeah Indo, as you probably know, its owned and run by lidders. But they're all pretty cool and cater for all.

A group of us went there for something different. Really laid back and everything you need. I guess its more upmarket that ombak area but I don't think its that much dearer. I still think its a reasonably priced trip. Last year we surfed Ombak Bocur twice at a good size with only a handful of guys out which was surprising.

I find it quite central for alot of the breaks in the area and have generally scored good waves to ourselves. Sure its not the Ment's, but I enjoy the variety of breaks with ease of access.

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Thursday, 30 Aug 2012 at 10:56am

bungan, surely some things can be left quiet and up to the explorer.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Thursday, 30 Aug 2012 at 1:03pm

Krui= need time to wait.
Each break can be world class on its day but each wave needs sussing out.
Each wave is fickle.
But karang Nyimbor often breaks but often sectiony.
Krui bay waves need bigger sw-west swells
Wai Jambu can get really really good but is shifty and pinchy most of the time.

sun,mon tue(swell forecast) are perfect conditions for krui bay.
Krui left is the only wave close by that's proper offshoire clean In SE trade.
Hotel Janitra is a cheap nice hotel. sunset losmen is right in front of krui left and costs around 125000rp ($13) a night with 3 nice meals.
Family losmen and a few others are in front of karang nyimbor.
theres homestays too around and cheaper options if you sus the place out.
You could stay in this town for $3000 a six month trip if you wanted to.

The best satay in in town near the y intersection,(near market) around 12000rp a dish next door is an English teacher you could stay with for $60 a month food included.
ask for Albet, he runs a motorbike rental business and surf shop. he will sort you out with everything.
Boards- fish for krui left and karang nyimbor, standard shorty. step up and gun if your into bigger waves.
This area gets lots of swell. besides krui bay, the other areas get more swell than g-land in my opinion. some bombies around and lots of weird setups. interesting place but not classic world class indo grade imo. kind of spooky feel to surfing some breaks by yourself around here.
Some people call this the Hoax coast.You will see why.

the-flying-dog's picture
the-flying-dog's picture
the-flying-dog Thursday, 30 Aug 2012 at 4:31pm

Thanks for the info. Groundswell, sounds like you've got it sussed. Hopefully we score and it doesn't turn out to be the hoax coast, the waves cant be any worse than they've been at home lately.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Thursday, 30 Aug 2012 at 7:42pm

You should score just be prepared to chase. and by that I mean ride a moped for 30mins plus. Be careful on the roads, they were bad when I last was there but road works were doing them up so should be a lot better now. But truck and bus drivers can be CRAZY on the wrong side of the road with sand and mud and potholes mixed in it can cost you your life.
Also the last few weeks I was there it seemed school kids wanted to play chicken with bule(white man tourists). they would wait until the last second and try to race across the road in front of you while your going 60 k's h +. one guy hit some drunk school kids and had to evacuate the area. it can get nasty and a lot of kids always ask you for money everywhere you go. Especially at wai jambu. If you pay a guy to mind your bike it should be sweet but it gets real annoying.there are thieves sround here.

But apart from that, riding a bike along the coast between jimmys or south around bali village are some amazing sights. especially around the bends and hills north of krui.
So beautiful you will want to just stop for a while and take it in.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 31 Aug 2012 at 9:12am

Totally agree with all groundswell has said, including the last post, I think that's one of the real positives of that coast, the fact that unlike most surf areas of Sumatra where access to surf spots is hard and mainly only by boat of some kind, krui/south Sumatra the road rarely ventures far from the coast and is great place to hire a motorbike and just go searching, even the fickle nature can be a positive in the regard that if you spend a little time and suss things out you can be onto it when others are not.

Its seems to be a coast that guys either love or hate, perhaps because it's a little bit different to many areas of Indonesia it's not always what guys expect, some of the surf accomodation there in the past have kind of over hyped it in regards to quality and made it sound as if you will be surfing with just you and your mate ever session.

Personally I dig the area especially the fact there is a few quality beachies something quite rare in indo.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 31 Aug 2012 at 9:15am

BTW I know the airport was completed quite some time ago, but have they been doing flights from Jakarta- bandar lampung-krui yet?

Last I heard susi air was going to offer something, maybee just option to charter flights?

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Friday, 31 Aug 2012 at 9:30am

Sounds like my kind of place to for for a surf trip now that Bali/Ments are just so busy. Searching and taking more of an exploration trip is what I'm about, might have to slot it in next year some time!

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Friday, 31 Aug 2012 at 10:08am

Groundswell, I can't say I've ever had any dramas with the kids or theft. You certainly get hassled for money by the kids at Wai Jambu, but no worse than anywhere else I've experienced. The drive north is beautiful, we made regular stops to take it in but mostly to give us a break from the roads.
There is certainly more euro surfers there than anywhere else I've been in Indo, but I've never expereienced any hassles.
Indo, I've heard about the airport at Krui, but couldn't get much info. Its a double edged sword as to the benefits for me. Increase crowd vs hell road trip from Banda Lampung!
Craig, thats partly why I first went there. For me its great, as you can surf double overhead or chest high waves depending what you feel like and there is somewhere to surf in any sort of wind except the westerlies.

mbuckis's picture
mbuckis's picture
mbuckis Saturday, 1 Sep 2012 at 1:18pm

What do you reckon?? Here or north west Oz for two weeks for my leave next year?? For a forehand centric natural footer??

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Saturday, 1 Sep 2012 at 2:32pm

There are a few decent rights in the area. some near bali village,which need glass or north winds, two good rights in krui,besides mandiri and beachies- one reef, one sand spit, reform right from a bombie I forget how to get there though. also a right peak in front of secret sumatra which is pretty average .
The reef right in krui is pretty good and a lot of the time no one surfs it as its pretty fast and needs the same conditions for jimmys area which gets a lot more swell.
I don't think anyone will ever see krui rights breaking as good as it could get as its position doesn't allow it the right angled swell, and se-e winds blow into the tube by 9am.

theres more rights up north if I were you id find a homestay near jimmys. the area can get heavy.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 1 Sep 2012 at 2:57pm

also a right peak in front of secret sumatra which is pretty average ..

By: "groundswell"

Average?

Have to say I haven't surfed it, just watched it, but it didn't look average, was picture perfect, like a stradie style peak over reef, but very very short, looks like it would be real hard to surf standup?

What do you think Fitzroy, how did you find it?

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Saturday, 1 Sep 2012 at 8:00pm

Ok, and this is just my opinion. The Peak, it's short and sweet. I spent 8 hrs on my own surfing it one day. Like any spot, you gradually get to know it and which ones to pick. It got to the point where i was comfortably backdooring it and enjoying awesome, wide open barrells. It comes down to what you enjoy and I loved it.
Wai Jambu, full of grunt, and as groundswell says, a bit pinchy, but again, spend enough time there and learn the right ones and its full on thunder.
Nev's is fun and long.
Krui left is better as it gets bigger. Chest high and its smackable, as it gets bigger, it your choice if you sit in the barrell or blast the face.
Krui right is fast and hollow.
La ai is straddy on steroids and can serve you your ass.
Jenny's, you have to pick the right one which you learn through time there.
Jimmy's, I haven't fully sussed yet and got full worked as it was solid.
A-Bomb is supposed to be a lid spot, but a heap of us got barrelled off our tits there on our own.
I'm not going to reveal all the spots, as, if you go there and explore you will suss it out and have some fun. Its a really nice place and different to your normal Indo experience. Suck it up, explore and have some fun. Like I said previous, its not the Ment's but its not Bali either.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Saturday, 1 Sep 2012 at 9:41pm

I shouldn't call it average. just short. looked fun but only checked it a few times and when it was working krui rights or lefts were on.
Krui left is one of the funnest waves around. I love the rights too but think if a more west or west nw swell could get in more it would be more makeable.
Such a good blue barrel with steep drop off ledge. with more frequent swells it could be one of the best waves in the area.

Apparently secret Sumatra has the best food out of any hotels/surf camps.
Some other places(like homestays) if your on a tiny budget you will be eating white rice and dried fish every night.
Secret Sumatra used to have a proper speed boat to hunt waves in, which sunk unfortunately.

the-flying-dog's picture
the-flying-dog's picture
the-flying-dog Thursday, 6 Sep 2012 at 3:39pm

We're booked in at paradise surf camp, looks pretty sweet on their website. Fitz, Groundswell, any idea on a daily budget for bike hire food and a few arvo brews? What's the trip from bandar lampung like? I was told its a 6 hour mission. Can you get beers somewhere on the way to take the edge off the indo traffic?

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Thursday, 6 Sep 2012 at 5:48pm

Trip from Banda Lampung is a 6hr mission. Potholes the size of volcano craters which I'm sure children are regularly lost in. It doesn't let up. Every time you think you get a good run going , wrong.!!
Bintangs can be bought at the usual haunts at Banda Lampung but I'm told its frowned upon outside of there but I never experienced to many problems.
Great food at some cafe/warungs along the way that is cheap as. I can't really help you with budget and bike hire as it is all laid on at Villa Desa. Groundswell may shed some light on this.
Be aware though that the local police regulary block the road and do checks. Again I never experienced any issues as we had full use of driver and vehicle.
Have a great time TLD. Go and explore and have a look around. Its a different side of Indo and I really hope you score some great waves.
Fitzy

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Thursday, 6 Sep 2012 at 5:50pm

Sorry, TFD (not TLD)

Also, go to the fish markets in the morning at Krui in the main street.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 6 Sep 2012 at 6:36pm

Beers if in private car/van no problem, but if taking public bus or public mini bus(bemo/angkot) would be looked down on by locals.

Everyone always says six hours krui to banda lsmpung but the times I've been it's always been longer than that 7+ but that's with small public bus, stopping here there and everywhere.

Took the bus from krui to bengkulu one time think that was suppose to be 9 hours but took 12+ packed bus, people chain smoking, chickens standard crazy driver who only had one cassette of Indonesian dangdut on none stop repeat, upside was road follows coast all the way 100,s of km of potential beaches and mixed reef similar to coast west of canggu in Bali, sure there areas that get good on there day.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Saturday, 8 Sep 2012 at 4:50pm

Did you get any waves in Bengkulu IndoDreaming ?
That place looks to have potential.

Moterbikes from albet should cost 40-45 000 for a cheap old 70's 80's one or 50 000 to 60 000 for a newer one.(allow 5-$6 a day unless long stay, that can be as low as 1 million a month.
You could also try sunset losmen i forget the owners name but he also rents them out.
Bikes are more scares here though than other parts.

If i went back i think id pay a bit more to hire a van.
That way you can sleep in the back if your up north or south away from camp and it looks to be good next the morning or arvo sort of thing.
Driving and riding around can be tedious. a van would be cool to sleep in as well as more secure for your other boards.

Dont get the bus from jakarta to krui, that is also another option, rafflesia and krui putra do it. Krui putra being cheap, rafflesia more deluxe. However they will sometimes only let you one with ONE surfboard.
If you needed to though you can buy 5 seats.
three for comfort for yourself.
Two for your board bag.
Each seat i think is 150 000rp each way.
Trip is 15-18 hours of boredom. unless you sleep the whole way.
sometimes the bus is sliding sideways going up muddy hills. crazy hell ride.

The nearest atm is 45min ride away. it often runs out of cash.

If you're keen to check out other sights, lake renoult(sp?) is beautiful. its similar to lake Toba ie a volcanic mountain with a HUGE lake in the crater/top. Bigger than lake toba too. lots of local people partying up there on weekends and westerners are often treated like princes up there :)

gilbert's picture
gilbert's picture
gilbert Monday, 17 Sep 2012 at 6:12pm

Krui is a hoax coast, spend 3 weeks at least waiting for swell that never comes. Places are fickle and of course dependent on swell direction, tide, wind. Can actually get crowded too.
Road is hell dangerous, not too great if you need to go 1hr plus from Krui to get to some of the better spots. It's fun and an experience, but for surf, if I was spending the coin and effort again, would go elsewhere.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Tuesday, 25 Sep 2012 at 6:58am

Maybe hoax coast compared to Ments, bali, sumbawa,some java spots etc but not hoax coast compared to say India, OZ or many other countries imo.
Its more of an Australian kind of coast.Ujung bocur is like green island, wai jambu is like a few oz breaks,reefs and beachies are real similar .Kind of like the area south of dbah but more consistent- well consistently 3-4ft plus.

krui bay itself is less consistent than Jervis bay. spots like husky and callala. they get over 6-8 foot sometimes yet in a small bay.
Youd be lucky to see krui rights or lefts over 4 ft. i dont think i ever did in 5 months of staying there.but at head high to 4ft they are pretty classy.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 27 Sep 2012 at 7:25am

Maybe hoax coast compared to Ments, bali, sumbawa,some java spots etc but not hoax coast compared to say India, OZ or many other countries imo.
Its more of an Australian kind of coast.Ujung bocur is like green island, wai jambu is like a few oz breaks,reefs and beachies are real similar .Kind of like the area south of dbah but more consistent- well consistently 3-4ft plus.

krui bay itself is less consistent than Jervis bay. spots like husky and callala. they get over 6-8 foot sometimes yet in a small bay.
Youd be lucky to see krui rights or lefts over 4 ft. i dont think i ever did in 5 months of staying there.but at head high to 4ft they are pretty classy.

By: "groundswell"

Ha ha that's funny, I totally agree about the coast having a similar feel to some areas in Australia, I've actually thought the same, it's like indos version of oz, and if it was in oz it would be rated pretty high.

And true it's only viewed as a hoax coast if compared to other areas in indo and we have to remember those areas we natural compare it to like mentawais, Bali, Sumbawa are among the most consistent areas for world class surf in the world.

BTW about bengkulu, went there mainly to check out the obvious but didn't get waves worth surfing, have seen a few photos of those waves from local groms, but generally looks pretty average, sectiony, uneven and kinda funky although like anywhere I'm sure it has it's days.

rorymcg's picture
rorymcg's picture
rorymcg Thursday, 3 Jul 2014 at 6:47pm

i have stayed here a number of times and after exploring the different places I keep coming back to Family Losmen.....it is right in front of the point with nice rooms set in beautiful gardens. Everything about this place is good and they even have WI-Fi internet. Very cheap to stay as all your meals are included.
Best way to book is on their web site at www.familylosmen.com
cheers

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 3 Jul 2014 at 7:30pm

Hmmmm thats a suss post.

An old topic from 2012 comes up and it just happens to be a happy guest come on mate at least be honest and use the user name "family losmen" instead of "rorymcg"

SurferFuk's picture
SurferFuk's picture
SurferFuk Thursday, 3 Jul 2014 at 7:42pm

Good call Indo-Dreaming ;)

kruiguy's picture
kruiguy's picture
kruiguy Tuesday, 6 Jan 2015 at 7:07pm

i been there many time and best place to stay is at the Family Losmen. It is right on the point where you can sit in the shade have a cold beer while you watch the waves. So many of the other places are a long way from the point. You can check it out at www.familylosmen.com

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 6 Jan 2015 at 7:38pm

Shit that's good ....room and meals @ $22 US aday.....even with our Aus -US exchange rate today still good value.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 6 Jan 2015 at 9:17pm

Pretty much all the places along the point there are the same price, same deal, its a good fair price though.

The Aussie dollar V,s the rupiah is still actually real good at the moment about $1AUD= 10,000 (or more) thats historically very very good.

marcdickson's picture
marcdickson's picture
marcdickson Friday, 5 Feb 2016 at 9:23pm

Great thread guys, enjoyed reading the stoke. Sounds a great place to visit.
Going to stay in or somewhere near krui first week of may. Looking to see what you guys recommend. Looking for something nicer than a run down home stay but not looking at 5 star hotel prices tbh. . Friendly people. Good food. Clean. Close to everything. Massage and yoga would be a big bonus! Thanks again guys. Any tips like where to rent bikes from, things to bring that you can't get there etc, would be awesome too! :-)

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Tuesday, 9 Feb 2016 at 6:05am

If thats what you're looking for as far as i know secret sumatra is the best place to stay but i havent been back for a while and new places popping up every season.

staitey's picture
staitey's picture
staitey Tuesday, 9 Feb 2016 at 11:12am

Its not uncommon for there to be 50 out at Ujung Bocur mid season. Quite a zoo I must say. But as previous have said seek and you shall find. Up north you won't be sharing waves with many

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Tuesday, 9 Feb 2016 at 5:57pm

marcdickson, there is other threads in here on the forums for Krui and South Sumatra with a load of info. Do a search. Have fun.

cathalhanly's picture
cathalhanly's picture
cathalhanly Wednesday, 31 May 2017 at 6:48pm

Hey guys,, great thread with heaps of good info.. I'm heading out next week and was thinking about renting a dirtbike with racks and driving Down to Krui from Banda lampung. Has anyone had any experience doing something like this or could point me in the right direction. Cheers

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 31 May 2017 at 8:02pm

Whatever you do get travel insurance that cover a motorbike account.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Wednesday, 31 May 2017 at 8:10pm

Almost all travel insurance excludes it indo. Do you know where you can get it?

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Wednesday, 31 May 2017 at 9:11pm

I thought you were covered as long as you had a licence? and obviously insurance.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Wednesday, 31 May 2017 at 9:47pm

Read the document simba. Every policy I have seen specifically excludes motor bike accidents.

chin's picture
chin's picture
chin Wednesday, 31 May 2017 at 10:36pm

I've been using one travel for a few years, their policy seemed to cover bike use, but I rang them to hear it from them to confirm. All good as long as you have the appropriate licence. Would still ring again before each trip to make sure nothing has changed.

marto1986's picture
marto1986's picture
marto1986 Thursday, 1 Jun 2017 at 9:30am

That is a hell of a bike trip through those mountains on a bike! If you had time id be pushing to call ahead to one of the camps to see if the could organise to collect you from the airport. There would be a fee, but it would be worth it in the long run. Then could organise a bike in Krui if that's what you needed/wanted. I remember prices being reasonable to get between the breaks.

chin's picture
chin's picture
chin Thursday, 1 Jun 2017 at 1:27pm

4 to5 hours in a van, mildly unnerving too