Victor Harbor = 10/10 on Saturday?

jonesurfer's picture
jonesurfer started the topic in Monday, 26 Mar 2012 at 8:53am

Agree? Disagree?

My 2 cents: 10/10 means as good as it can get. No just a reading of swell size. Dumpies was lumpy and mostly closing out with a few nuggets here and there. Bullies was large but very bumpy (this is where I ended up and it was a struggle to catch waves - needed a 9'0). Pines was clean with some very inconsistent 2 footers. Not much else happening on the coast - perhaps some novelty spots that have been mentioned on the West Island thread.

We've all seen it much better than Saturday, so why 10/10?

victor's picture
victor's picture
victor Monday, 26 Mar 2012 at 9:07am

so whos calling it 10/10....? you...? dump was lumpy. bullies was bumpy.the pines was 2ft WTF......just another day on the hoax coast.......how big was bullies if you needed a 9'0.........10-12ft ???????? or did you just need length to combat with the conditions.

fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon Monday, 26 Mar 2012 at 9:29am

I think the grom that does the report was frothing as its been poor down here for so long.It was semi clean for a little while out there water still warm and a few bumpy waves Fun.

ben-colyer's picture
ben-colyer's picture
ben-colyer Monday, 26 Mar 2012 at 10:02am

paddled out at Shark Alley for a quick session at dawn on Saturday. Clean as a whistle round that side. low tide was an issue. Still there were some nice waves coming through. No idea what happend after 8am. I did see way more bodies out at the pines than it deserved on my way out.
Big call for a 10/10.

leckiep's picture
leckiep's picture
leckiep Monday, 26 Mar 2012 at 12:03pm

Did any of you SA posters go through with your mexican mission on Saturday? How was it? The surf coast had a few fun ones at the usual spots, plenty of people in the water but not a heap catching much.

jonesurfer's picture
jonesurfer's picture
jonesurfer Monday, 26 Mar 2012 at 3:06pm

@victor - the 9'0 line was a poke at the dude out on a full-on pin tail gun... although he was catching waves.

I'd call it legit DOH+ on the peak with overhead walls.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 26 Mar 2012 at 3:33pm

The daily 'rating' given by each surf reporter is something that I've always found hard to define. Obviously, everyone has a different view of what makes a 2, 4, 6, 8 or 10/10 day - it comes down to the individual reporter and their interpretation as to how it stacks up against previous days or months.

In this case it sounds like Maxie (our Victor reporter) may have got a little over excited about Saturday's waves - probably due to the size of the swell. However, at dawn winds were light offshore so a solid 8ft swell with favourable winds is hard to not get excited about - you have to remember that the report (and therefore the rating) is done very early in the day, when the froth and anticipation is at its highest.

We're going to try to set out some guidelines for our reporters soon that instead of a rating number, will have a short description (however web users will see both the rating number plus the description). I think that'll end up working a little better.

ben-colyer's picture
ben-colyer's picture
ben-colyer Monday, 26 Mar 2012 at 4:03pm

Is the rating all that important?
From one end of the coast to the other you'd be giving different ratings.
It's certainly not something I look at to determine where of if I go.

Still wouldn't have given it a 10

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 26 Mar 2012 at 4:48pm

Yeah, the rating is surprisingly useful (when it's done right). We've had lots of good feedback about it over the years.

As for Victor being a 10/10 - I know for personal experience that any beach on the South Coast can go from a 10/10 to a 1/10 in a matter of hours.

Perhaps Maxie was over-frothing a little too much Saturday morning.. nothing wrong with that. The 10/10 should ordinarily mean "don't miss today's waves", which - for that size and with those conditions early Saturday morning - is a fair call.

jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker Monday, 26 Mar 2012 at 4:58pm

good onya maxi...hope ya still givn 10's in 10 years time brotha

willywag's picture
willywag's picture
willywag Monday, 26 Mar 2012 at 11:27pm

I reckon Maxie needs an alarm clock too.

fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon Tuesday, 27 Mar 2012 at 2:46pm

Was it a guy on a huge yellow boat that catches all the waves and goes straight jonesy?That guys a prick Haha.Max is a champ and our scale goes up to 20/10 so it was only a half decent day.

nickg's picture
nickg's picture
nickg Tuesday, 27 Mar 2012 at 5:12pm

did anyone check Middleton?

could've been all time :p

adrian-hicks's picture
adrian-hicks's picture
adrian-hicks Tuesday, 27 Mar 2012 at 7:37pm

saturday was just big and messy the only thing really on was shark alley wasnt worth the petrol . surfd tunks on sunday soild 6 and hardly anyone there .

adrian-hicks's picture
adrian-hicks's picture
adrian-hicks Tuesday, 27 Mar 2012 at 7:39pm

who said sat was a ten what a clown.

hopkj9's picture
hopkj9's picture
hopkj9 Wednesday, 28 Mar 2012 at 9:08am

'Smashing morning with absolutely smashing conditions and a gentle offshore breeze. 2 foot lined up swell with the odd bigger one smashing in' was the forecast for this morning? Perhaps could have been elaborated on to include....'looking at Knights/the Dump from my bedroom window'!?!?! All I can say is thank god for the dribbleton cam! Finally, a report which you can interpret for yourself!

roolf's picture
roolf's picture
roolf Wednesday, 28 Mar 2012 at 11:42am

sorry to pick on bens site again but I have gotta agree with hopkj9 and the other comments regarding the consistently very average victor reports.
being someone who has travelled a bit i always check reports from other states on this site and generally find them to be quite good, not just in terms on info, but unwritten rules regarding talking about spots etc.
the victor report seems to be a bit of a blemish on what is generally a very professonal site.

angrybrigade's picture
angrybrigade's picture
angrybrigade Wednesday, 28 Mar 2012 at 12:32pm

hmmm, maybe you should get Grant Cameron outta retirement...or that goofball local who used to do it on radio down there a few years back: "what's the conditions like down there today, x?" "wouldn't bother myself" "well, thanks for that, x, and now for some Nickelback..."

roolf's picture
roolf's picture
roolf Wednesday, 28 Mar 2012 at 12:43pm

showing your bad taste there angrybridgagde, fuk grant cameron and nickelback, bring back nasty nigel on 3D radio (at that time probably triple M), who would present a very subdued report(dare i say much more objective than some grommet talking up his mates report)then some enlightening words of philiosophy to ponder for the day, and then rip into some suicidals, thats more to my taste!!!
on rereading your post tho, the goof ball u r refering to is probly nasty nigel

angrybrigade's picture
angrybrigade's picture
angrybrigade Wednesday, 28 Mar 2012 at 1:00pm

I think I ran over Grant Cameron one time...or was that John Riddell? or was it the same goofball local (as above) who had an altercation with said media types? I dunno....maybe he will enlighten us. Local radio down in Victor is most edifying...so is 5DDD, which strangely enough, was/is accessible down there too! Smash it up! Suicidal Tendencies were the hardcore version of Nickelback back in the day, yes? Mike Muir v Simon Woodstock...worth a google. As for Nasty's home-spun philosophies and countrified witticisms...surely there's a book in that...or pamphlet, at the very least?!

fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon Wednesday, 28 Mar 2012 at 2:25pm

yep I ran over said media types when I was a grom one said media type was gunna"Knock Me Out"in his best said media type voice and hey what you didn't like my reports on power fm?

angrybrigade's picture
angrybrigade's picture
angrybrigade Wednesday, 28 Mar 2012 at 4:40pm

you should hit Ben up to do 'em for swellnet...in a more FINNEGANS WAKE style & syntax. I think I must've had a run-in with Cameron in the water...or was it Cornes Snr?

fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon Thursday, 29 Mar 2012 at 1:10pm

ha ha cornes maybe not hippy Cameron?