Tunes

thermalben's picture
thermalben started the topic in Tuesday, 28 Feb 2012 at 6:47pm

Alright, time for some discussion on what yr all listening too. My iTunes inventory is getting a little stale so I'm up for some inspiration.

Currently loving The Drones' album "Havilah".. incredible songwriting and some of the best recorded guitars and drum I've heard in a long time. I'm a little late to the party with this album but it's on high rotation at the moment and will probably stay there a while. I've seen these guys live once (Fowlers, Adelaide) and fortunately they're incredible on stage too. Can't wait to see them again.

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Sunday, 14 May 2023 at 10:20am

swellnet Mums Day Line Up...Go for it!

WOTD ~~~~^~~~~/`~~~~(`~~~~/(~~~~/(C~~~~/(C`...[mums)

&t=14s

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 20 May 2023 at 9:01am

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Thursday, 25 May 2023 at 10:02pm

In celebration of Tina and Chris Bailey. Two ripper versions.

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Friday, 26 May 2023 at 10:03am

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 1 Jun 2023 at 12:06pm
Wilhelm Scream wrote:

*–·-★-·–*

wow, the sheiks. Forgot all about them. Birthday party bred with Alice in Chains

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 1 Jun 2023 at 12:07pm

Speaking of the birthday party

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Thursday, 1 Jun 2023 at 2:23pm

Speaking of the birthday party

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Tuesday, 6 Jun 2023 at 7:37pm

Something old.

Something new.

Something borrowed.

Something blue.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Tuesday, 6 Jun 2023 at 10:16pm

love primative calculators..
didn't know these guys (cheers yet again blackers!):

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 7 Jun 2023 at 10:04am

Been led by the algorithm to one of those musos granted a great second act. This bolt of lightning much unlike his first.

A peculiar spin on US hip hop, particularly this song with its slower synth pulse which makes me think a soon-to-be-huge Bristol quartet cum trio were listening closely.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Wednesday, 7 Jun 2023 at 1:06pm

defs influenced later, synth-pop-thrash bands like Ned's Atomic Dustbin and Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine. This is a bit of fun: drop this Carter tune into the (muted) JJF clip at the 0:05 second mark.
JJF clip

&t=6s
Carter USM song
&t=118s

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Wednesday, 7 Jun 2023 at 2:04pm

Ah the Neddies. Good times.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Wednesday, 7 Jun 2023 at 2:23pm

And from the same era....

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Wednesday, 7 Jun 2023 at 2:46pm

a pop aesthetic unaffected by grunge in some circles

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Wednesday, 7 Jun 2023 at 3:21pm

Liking your work there Basesix.

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Wednesday, 7 Jun 2023 at 8:55pm

Jerry A Lang (Poison Idea)

https://open.spotify.com/track/2X54AMIxHWe0eTVQUK7AOz?si=O-TOsxHySni0Zc9...

"The first solo album by Poison Idea frontman, Jerry A Lang. On this record is an unreleased Poison Idea song, plus collaborations with The Hard-Ons, Crime Scene, Big Stick, Jenny Don't and The Spurs, Soft Kill and more. Running the gauntlet of styles, rock, alt-country, punk, techno, and Irish punk! An amalgamation of all the colors of the punknroll rainbow. A dim sum of musical explosions. The LP has a dozen tracks and is pressed on Black vinyl as it was meant to be. Get ready to blast off with Jerry A. as he forges his post-PI solo career with a solid choice desert island disc!"

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Thursday, 8 Jun 2023 at 4:16pm

Following on from Patrick's post.

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Thursday, 8 Jun 2023 at 4:37pm

And with Jerry...

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 9 Jun 2023 at 7:36pm

Fridee nigh house mood

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Sunday, 11 Jun 2023 at 6:51pm

A song for my wife.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Saturday, 17 Jun 2023 at 9:05am

Probably should be in the embarrassing songs thread but gotta love the vibe from these old feckers.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Sunday, 18 Jun 2023 at 8:30am

Sunday morning chill out.

philosurphizingkerching's picture
philosurphizing... Sunday, 18 Jun 2023 at 12:59pm

Gotta love DBs collaborative work.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 20 Jun 2023 at 5:36pm

RIP Teresa Nervosa

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Wednesday, 21 Jun 2023 at 9:04am

^^
Just read about it, tough way to go out. No doubt a life lived to the fullest hanging with that crew. Astonishing band.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Wednesday, 21 Jun 2023 at 9:13am

^^ no doubt. There's only a handful of people, gg allin, butthole surfers, who truly dedicate their life to balancing on the musical edge. RIP.

philosurphizing... Thursday, 22 Jun 2023 at 1:03pm

Good cover good original

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Friday, 23 Jun 2023 at 6:30pm

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Friday, 23 Jun 2023 at 8:35pm

Taser me at 95 and I will have lived a full life. ;)

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Friday, 23 Jun 2023 at 8:55pm

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Saturday, 24 Jun 2023 at 4:18pm

couple more for the Saturdays heads standing tall

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Saturday, 24 Jun 2023 at 5:14pm

Nice one Rob, good to see you back posting tunes. Always an interesting mix.
Some things I heard this week...

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Saturday, 24 Jun 2023 at 8:23pm

Been enjoying everyones additions as usual blackers. Amongst the articles and opinions. Hope you are well and finding some joy be it waves or whatever.

The Cold snap is here so motivations and spirits need a lifting, Sometimes the mood on swellnet is like a wet towel in the back on a rainy day and at other times like a raging fire of warmth warming cold toes and bones.

The music always lifts the spirits as does positive action big or small.

As I have said before the most powerful thing about swellnet apart from from the surf content and reports is that it gives a platform for surfers to say what they think if they want to. To express, vent, indulge, discuss, share or celebrate what ever is being added. all walks of life and all ideas from pro to average joe. happy surfing and warm toes

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Saturday, 24 Jun 2023 at 8:34pm
Robwilliams wrote:

Been enjoying everyones additions as usual blackers. Amongst the articles and opinions. Hope you are well and finding some joy be it waves or whatever.

The Cold snap is here so motivations and spirits need a lifting, Sometimes the mood on swellnet is like a wet towel in the back on a rainy day and at other times like a raging fire of warmth warming cold toes and bones.

The music always lifts the spirits as does positive action big or small.

As I have said before the most powerful thing about swellnet apart from from the surf content and reports is that it gives a platform for surfers to say what they think if they want to. To express, vent, indulge, discuss, share or celebrate what ever is being added. all walks of life and all ideas from pro to average joe. happy surfing and warm toes

Well said. Same to you.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Wednesday, 28 Jun 2023 at 10:29am

unidentified surf-epic kabuki instrumentalists from Alabama, Daikaiju:

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Wednesday, 28 Jun 2023 at 10:54am
basesix wrote:

unidentified surf-epic kabuki instrumentalists from Alabama, Daikaiju:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nzV_YQ0I4A

Awesome.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 30 Jun 2023 at 4:52pm

icandig's picture
icandig's picture
icandig Friday, 30 Jun 2023 at 8:49pm

Daniel Calabro. Founding member and guitarist for possibly the best unheralded band in Melbourne in the early 2000's (The Grand Silent System). Check them out if you like this. Recently added to Spotify. Kind of Prog . Kind of heavy. Kind of mellow. Awesome stuff. This one is pure chill - an instrumental version of one of their best songs.

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Friday, 30 Jun 2023 at 10:58pm
stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Saturday, 1 Jul 2023 at 6:32am

Thanks for the heads up, Patrick. I thought this was a great ending to the linked interview with Ray:

The Hard-Ons have lived through the impact of one of the biggest social upheavals of our lifetimes, the collision between gender equality, celebrity and technology that has redressed and reacted against many an historical injustice – and shredded countless reputations.

Ray Ahn can ask big questions. He knows someone reading this story who is perhaps not a fan will find it ridiculous that his band called The Hard-Ons who put out a record called Dickcheese is now solemnly addressing such issues.

“You probably remember in the eighties … the big enemy for anyone in a punk band was censorship,” he begins.

“You had bands like the Butthole Surfers, the Hard-Ons, the Dead Kennedys having their records confiscated at places like Rocking Horse Records in Queensland and Hard-Ons records being sold in brown paper bags in Queensland.

“The time was right for a band like the Hard-Ons to just go gung-ho and fearlessly try and offend as many people as possible.

“Times have completely changed and there’s absolutely no way in the world … contextually speaking, would the 18-year-old me come around now and do what I did, setting up band meetings and go ‘who haven’t we offended? How can we offend more people? What can we say or do to annoy more people?’.

“We just wouldn’t do that now because not only are people’s sensitivities different … you’ve got people like Steve Albini from Big Black saying ‘I would never form a band called Rapeman ever again’.

“He kinda regrets the offence that the term caused.

“I’m in a similar position with the Hard-Ons. Yeah, we went out of our way to offend people. You can say till the face is blue that it was ironic and it was just being used to fight censorship and that kind of stuff.

“But it just wouldn’t wash now. You couldn’t do that.

“No, I wouldn’t call a band the Hard-Ons….”"

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Saturday, 1 Jul 2023 at 8:36am

Switched on fella. Looking forward to seeing the docco.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Saturday, 1 Jul 2023 at 9:38am

Helluva switched on fella. But I think the kids today need some irreverence shoved up them, like no group ever before. I have teenage kids, and their peers think that wanting to be rich is normal, that famous people aren't deserving of buckets on cynicism, and it doesn't occur to them to sometimes shop at the Salvos.. The myths about youth (that they are good at tech, are eco-responsible, are more inclusive, etc.) are astounding. Not to mention their thinking a popular song or post equates to a good song or post >: /

Generalisations, but it feels time for a major youth punk explosion - not just small, urban pockets of narcissistic brats sooking from their bedrooms about archaic ideas (that affect them) on insta (sorry lil' lucy small) - but an explosive scene making irreverent fun of all of it!! All the dumb shit. They could out-intelligent the dinosaurs in a heartbeat. Cackle at the pollies. Strut the streets with a mischievous smirk on their face. ..anyway..

Agree it would be a different, more relevant brand, but surely... 'the hard-ons' is so disposably little-boy silly, and obviously harmlessly punk-pathetique... it's a bit timeless?

mattlock's picture
mattlock's picture
mattlock Saturday, 1 Jul 2023 at 11:30am

The Hard Ons. Great band.
A black Indian/Fijian/Australian[I think], an Australian Asian dude and a whitey af Slavic descent. From Punchbowl no less. Totally Oz.
There is an Adeliade band called Cock. Once on a triple bill with the Meatbeaters and The Toss. Lucy Small would have been there with bells on.

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Saturday, 1 Jul 2023 at 11:46am

This is a good interview from 98. Funny story at 6 min.

wally's picture
wally's picture
wally Saturday, 1 Jul 2023 at 11:52am

Jimmy Buffett “Oldest Surfer on the Beach”. (2013)
Written by Mark Knopfler, who also adds some nice surf guitar to the track.

Given the title of the song, the lyrics are just about perfect.

The sun's dropping out of the picture
Soon be time to move
Hasn't been a real big day
But I don't have a thing to prove
I've still got the old noserider
I still surf old style
I'll go on out beyond the breakers
Sit alone and rest awhile

There's nothing that I wanna do
No place I'm trying to reach
Only time is now more precious to
The oldest surfer on the beach

I stopped searching for perfection
Many waves ago
What really matters is the here and now
And that's about all I know
Gonna catch me a big old roller
Sun setting on the sea
Riding in on her glassy shoulder
The water going gray like me

There's nothing that I wanna do
No place I'm trying to reach
Only time is now more precious to

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Sunday, 2 Jul 2023 at 12:04pm

Great lyrics wally. Here's another offering re tbb/seeds 'artists who enthusiastically tribute stuff they like'.. ALIEN NOSEJOB, the great solo project of Jake Robertson, playing with bon-era ACDC sensibilities through a garage lens:

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Sunday, 2 Jul 2023 at 3:21pm

Yeah nah yeah nah yeah nah yeah yeah yeah yeah. Can’t help but love that shit. Cool as cobber digger stinky mate!!!!

garyg1412's picture
garyg1412's picture
garyg1412 Wednesday, 5 Jul 2023 at 2:49pm

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Friday, 14 Jul 2023 at 6:38pm

https://m.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Friday, 14 Jul 2023 at 10:05pm

Nice one Jelly.
An ode to Scotty.