JEFF ROWLEY HELLMAN

victor's picture
victor started the topic in Wednesday, 1 Feb 2012 at 8:17am

just watched the footage of jeff at jaws.....f..ck ,top effort solid performance,one of those waves he only took 4 paddles before he stood up and took a 30ft plus drop, wish he had a gopro camera on board. copped some serious floggings too. was that one of dorians survival suits he was wearing ?

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Wednesday, 1 Feb 2012 at 8:52am

That wave he caught with 2 or 3 paddles was insane.

Absolute rocket drop......that took some confidence/skill/sack to spin and go that one.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 1 Feb 2012 at 9:18am

He caught it yesterday, it went in front of the XXL committee last night, and was nominated for Wave of the Year today.

Things move quick these days...

But yeah, incredible drop that two stroke takeoff. Just amazing.

mrsbradpitt's picture
mrsbradpitt's picture
mrsbradpitt Wednesday, 1 Feb 2012 at 11:53am

my mrs hates it when it only takes me 2 strokes...

victor's picture
victor's picture
victor Wednesday, 1 Feb 2012 at 10:04pm

southy,how does that jaws wave[s] compare to the vicco 50 footer.interested to know how big you and freeride call the jaws session.....i think 30 plus but wish to see some still shots from the water..

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Thursday, 2 Feb 2012 at 8:15am

I've spent a bit of time in Hawaii in another life, and when you talk to the guy's that surf these outer reefs they refer to wave face measurements, you know the lame Californian way of measuring waves, but it actually makes more sense as it deletes the bullshit. I think some people get confused with what the buoy measurements are, like 17 feet at 20 seconds is epic on the north shore, your looking at big outer reef waves. I never met anyone who lived there calling it by the back of the wave.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 8 Nov 2013 at 3:59pm

jeff Rowley- the bombie ,vimeo
charging some bombs, good surfing .

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Friday, 8 Nov 2013 at 6:29pm

Udo I just watched the Jeff Rowley footage on stabmag.com
He is charging! That was a really great clip..

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Friday, 8 Nov 2013 at 7:24pm
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Friday, 8 Nov 2013 at 7:45pm

Tried to post that clip. That board he is riding is huge!!! Looks so smooth dropping I into those big peaks though. Dunno if the link worked but here it is again.

http://vimeo.com/m/78801298

sidthefish's picture
sidthefish's picture
sidthefish Saturday, 9 Nov 2013 at 1:14am

11 out of 10.

I fail to see how that has infringed on anybody or their space.

Anyone who wants to be a grizzle guts over that should just shut the fuck up, or get out there, stake their claim and take a few of those bombs themselves. Yeah, No Towing, cos there is already a paddler in the water, ay.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 9 Nov 2013 at 6:47am

@ yorkie, the board was a 11ft channel islands mgb , have no other dimensions, quad or thruster ? im guessing quad

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Saturday, 9 Nov 2013 at 7:43am

MGB? Do you mean MG or is the MGB the latest Merrick Gun?

Just wahcked the vid onto the homepage too. Thanks for the heads up, Udo.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Saturday, 9 Nov 2013 at 7:59am

*Whacked. I'm not trying to sound like Zsa Zsa Gabor.

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Saturday, 9 Nov 2013 at 8:02am

Four fin setup's seem to be the go for those big guns. Here's a pic of the fin setup on the 9'6" I was ogling at at Patagonia.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 9 Nov 2013 at 8:53am

was curious on the rhinos dimensions, emailed jeff for some info........all I got was its a 11 ft MGB channel islands....maybe he will give out more info to you stu ?

I'll take a guess on the dim, 11' x 21 x 3 - 3 1/2 quad set up ?

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Saturday, 9 Nov 2013 at 9:37am

Who was the shaper of that beast YS? Pretty tidy looking and love the colour.

Bloody impressive vid of Rowley. Wonder if there was anyone else out there. I did see a ski way off in the background of one shot, but he otherwise looked like on his lonesome. And that 2 stroke wave he got at Jaws was insane.

I agree with Sid, there is one person on here that hangs shit on him but I've never seen anything of him in the same in the same calibre.

I don't know FA about Rowley but the footage I've seen of his exploits speaks volumes.

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Saturday, 9 Nov 2013 at 10:23am

That's a Gerry Lopez fitzroy. He came out last year doing a book tour or something and shaped a few boards up. I ended up buying a 7'6". Patagonia can order copies of all his shapes as they have been digitised and get glassed and finished up in NSW somewhere I believe. They really are some of the most beautiful looking boards I've ever seen, perfect finish, polished etc.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 9 Nov 2013 at 12:28pm

strapper, one of rowleys sponsers have a movie of him surfing a 6'8 at bells , pretty good surfer in the smaller stuff to.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Saturday, 9 Nov 2013 at 1:34pm

Boards that are 11"0 maybe 4" thick . Ten "0 maybe 3 3/4 . Sorry bout the maybees . Im always dealing with ppl who underestimate the thickness . I like to say 4"0 when some one guesses 3"0 . & @ys I saw those lopez boards .first thing I said was too light . After the allan byrne ten "0 broke first surf . My ab was glassed with 6&4 bottom , 6&4 deck. Nothing worse than having to swim a few kms in on the biggest day of yr. Last gun I bought was 3 x6 oz each side using epoxy resin.

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Saturday, 9 Nov 2013 at 2:18pm

'I saw those lopez boards .first thing I said was too light . After the allan byrne ten "0 broke first surf .'

That doesn't matter, as long as they look beautiful.... and have been 'scientifically' digitised.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Saturday, 9 Nov 2013 at 2:58pm

Uplift wat do u mean , digitised? Im trying to inform ppl not to be fooled by nice looking guns glassed with tissues.

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Saturday, 9 Nov 2013 at 3:25pm

Agree caml .
With exception of my short boards , everything starting @ 6'8 is atleast . 6 ' x 6' ounce on the deck minimum . although alot of that has to do with how heavy footed i tend to be , the other thing is to get em' to " cross weave " each layer of matting/sheets . do you notice the epoxy as opposed to polyester . rigidity in riding , feel and noise ?

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Saturday, 9 Nov 2013 at 3:27pm

as far as big wave guns go heres a few dimensions fo you all..

when I arrived in Hawaii last year ,Shane dorian had just ridden a lota waves at Jaws on a JC 10 6 x 21 x 3 7/8 Quad...which had 5 layers of 6 OZ T+B...26 lb bd..

when I left JC had just built him an 11 2 x 22 x 4 14 ..quad.......not bad for a 72 kg guy....

Depending on the waves you surf....weight and catching the wave are supa important......

I made a board for Mark Mathews...1" stringer,5 layers T+B...about 25 lb......Fin snapped off during the bottom turn....clean in 2.....ahhhhh.....now bds are thicker wider and heavier again...

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Saturday, 9 Nov 2013 at 3:41pm

Digitised? Like yorky said, they digitize all the measurements, get them copied, and flog them. Like they did with the Rawson's years ago. Except like anyone who's tried to have a board copied, they end up nothing like the original. So there were heaps of dud 'Rawson's for sale. One even got dragged out of a shed and sold last week.

You'll never stop them getting fooled, its too easy. Point in case, I remember a morning on the cliff in Elliston where a legend shaper rolled up in the carpark, with a half a dozen transparent potato chips on the roof (I won't mention his name, as he's a good guy). Because of all the fanfare of his arrival the town's grommies and assorted area hotties were all there eagerly awaiting the unveiling of the legendary quiver, and trying to order them. At the same time, your dunga was laying in the shrubbery, you were unknown by them all then, and it became a joke fest, especially when they saw your custom dong bonnet. I was heading by with my nugget, and he couldn't resist a bit of cocky bantering shit. So I figured fuck you ya chubby little shit, waited for the unveiling, and lo and behold, 3 were already busted in 2, just from the drive over on the roof. Hilarious shit, like handing me a couple of sawn off shotguns. It got much funnier in the water though, when he couldn't catch a wave, despite emu and his camera, and he was finally goaded into a bomb, another one snapped. They all snapped that day. There's probably still bits of foam and tissue blowing around the bay.

And he drove home with heaps of orders.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Saturday, 9 Nov 2013 at 4:22pm

most good shapers are using shaping programs that have digitized the design,so that a shapers favourite measurements can be cut by the CNC machine....

one of the problems is that all machines cut a bit different so there is always a margin for error or improvement....

I like to think that shaping a big gun Pre-shape allows a shaper to concentrate on the final shaping of the board...as its all in the fine tuning....and most designer /shapers already know what their designs should be........so the last touch of the shaper is all important.....as long as its the original shaper finishing...

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Saturday, 9 Nov 2013 at 4:40pm

Ok but my board was an allan byrne shape .

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Saturday, 9 Nov 2013 at 4:40pm

And do they digitize the blowing of the blanks too? Every blank turns out different, and that's the main reason you'll never copy a board at present. Or maybe they've perfected bubble size. A mate once went through half a dozen Slaven's trying to copy a magic keeper, that to Slaven's credit looked identical to the eye, and ruler/calipers, to figure that out. Then years later he thought the 'Anacarpas' would have solved that. But, there's a heap of them laying around his shed too.

Shapings funny, either all those little intricasies, 'errors' mean something, or they don't really matter. Any one can do it. What's it gonna be. Sometimes its those 'errors' that make a magic board.

The 'pros' even hold on to those keepers, and try to preserve them as long as possible, knowing full well that they can't be copied.

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Saturday, 9 Nov 2013 at 4:45pm

Yeah those 10ft boards would have huge forces being placed on them in that sized surf! The length would compound the pressure so you would want them thick and heavy.
I think my 7'6"x19 1/2 x 2 3/4 was glassed about right, it's definitely not a wafer. The waves down on my coast max out at around 8 to 10ft so it's all I need.
But hats off to the guys like Rowley, RCJ, Camel, and Uplift. They are in a league of their own and deserve their legend status.

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Saturday, 9 Nov 2013 at 4:53pm

Cheepers, aww shucks, thanks yorksey, see honesty is the best policy, the transparent Spiritual way. I'm now starting to realise that you are really quite clever, and a top bloke to boot.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Saturday, 9 Nov 2013 at 4:59pm

Ys theres a few more than just us guys, in fact a few hundres in that league. Anybody know if my ab 10"0 can be copied? Whats happning with byrning spears

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Saturday, 9 Nov 2013 at 5:22pm

Yeah I know there's quite a few Camel but all you guys are within 1000km of where I live so I didn't want to list every big wave surfer on the planet. I hear stories about what you guys get up to from mutual friends that surf with you sometimes and I think it's great what you and the others guys are doing in the biggest waves that the Southern Ocean can dish out!

Someone in another thread on here said that the guy that worked with AB is doing CNC copies of his shapes? I wonder if that 10' was digitised?

crustt's picture
crustt's picture
crustt Saturday, 9 Nov 2013 at 6:36pm

I think uplift is pretty spot on, to copy a board and get it exactly the same you would have to know exactly what blank was used in the original, my mate who shapes my boards explained one day that when some of the pros came over to get board off him in Hawaii and were pretty insistent about the dimensions ended up struggling as clark foam had less floatation.
Why would you want a copy of your last one when there s another special one around the next corner anyway,

gannet's picture
gannet's picture
gannet Saturday, 9 Nov 2013 at 8:14pm

Sorry to change the subject, but what's the deal with these 'paddle vests'?

There were plenty of references to guys wearing them at big Cloudbreak last year and I'm pretty sure Jeff wears one at 'The Bomby'.

Are we talking your standard jetski PFD or what?

Maybe I'll get one and have a crack

Well.........maybe....

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Saturday, 9 Nov 2013 at 8:49pm

Patagonia paddle vest are worthy.

sidthefish's picture
sidthefish's picture
sidthefish Sunday, 10 Nov 2013 at 1:12pm

BRUTUS SUCKING SOME HYPOCRITICAL COCK.

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Sunday, 10 Nov 2013 at 1:36pm

Gidday, yeh, filming and exposure is nothing new down there. It was heavily featured in the old Rip Curl vids, along with other waves in the area, to promote their wetties and 'crew'. in Roar/Gash's heyday there were plenty of articles, information and photos of it and about it in the magazines, mainly introducing and publicising the guys that surfed it and the boards they were riding and shaping.

sidthefish's picture
sidthefish's picture
sidthefish Sunday, 10 Nov 2013 at 2:06pm

The biggest drama that happened at down there was when Margo & Rasta went thru with a film crew, and it was Brutus who sent them down there.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Sunday, 10 Nov 2013 at 2:10pm

Fucken hell fellas, this ain't a new battle front. Drop your arms and chill.

Go smoke a spliff, Sid.

sidthefish's picture
sidthefish's picture
sidthefish Sunday, 10 Nov 2013 at 2:20pm

Got run out of the Bay, ha thats hilarious. Who by Pineapple Head ? as the real locals call him.

I never done anybody wrong in any way in my few years down there, I worked hard, usually 2 jobs.

Left of my own accord because the house I owned went up 300% in four years, so by selling up I crystalize the capital gain on the investment.

Now I work in the Snowy Mountains and hang on the NSW South Coast, and again do nothing wrong by anybody.

sidthefish's picture
sidthefish's picture
sidthefish Sunday, 10 Nov 2013 at 2:26pm

Stu, you knew Brutus would get on the FigJam rolls bus when you posted that bombie stuff.

Just so happens Shaun has outed Brutus doing exactly the same on yootoob, its common knowledge he does exactly the same, I know it too well cos I know the cameramen he used/s.

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Sunday, 10 Nov 2013 at 2:35pm

However, and I don't want to say much about this at all, and, in fact I'm still reeling in shock from what we've just learned, its not as bad as what happened to another secret spot, DY Point. A place where one man, hell bent on self gratification, glory, riches and fame, literally stuck his arse in the face... of the locals, who for years had kept the place a secret. Now its over run with glory hunters, photo 'sluts' at best. If that could happen to a place that takes ten times as long to drive to from the nearest city centre as the unknown, previously unpublicised secret 'bombie', and unlike the previously unknown, unpublicised secret 'bombie', a place where taking one wrong turn off could mean driving aimlessly lost for hours on end, then God help the secret 'bombie'. Next, they'll put in a bitumin road there, and make it so that anyone driving past can see it.

As for blindboy, alias the DIY destroyer, he's finally been exposed, having craftily flown under the radar for years. I hope his 2 minutes of fame were worth it. Now he has to live out the rest of his days, spurned by wily industry 'insiders', and hard nut' locals' alike, his 'credibility' in tatters.

Good on ya udeso!

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Sunday, 10 Nov 2013 at 3:56pm

Yeh I'm screwed at DY but with a quick 200 km drive down a desert track and a 5km hike over the dunes there is still the untouched gem of Manly......

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Sunday, 10 Nov 2013 at 4:18pm
uplift wrote:

However, and I don't want to say much about this at all, and, in fact I'm still reeling in shock from what we've just learned, its not as bad as what happened to another secret spot, DY Point. A place where one man, hell bent on self gratification, glory, riches and fame, literally stuck his arse in the face... of the locals, who for years had kept the place a secret. Now its over run with glory hunters, photo 'sluts' at best. If that could happen to a place that takes ten times as long to drive to from the nearest city centre as the unknown, previously unpublicised secret 'bombie', and unlike the previously unknown, unpublicised secret 'bombie', a place where taking one wrong turn off could mean driving aimlessly lost for hours on end, then God help the secret 'bombie'. Next, they'll put in a bitumin road there, and make it so that anyone driving past can see it.

As for blindboy, alias the DIY destroyer, he's finally been exposed, having craftily flown under the radar for years. I hope his 2 minutes of fame were worth it. Now he has to live out the rest of his days, spurned by wily industry 'insiders', and hard nut' locals' alike, his 'credibility' in tatters.

Good on ya udeso!

HaHa, this is the uplift version of a one liner.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Sunday, 10 Nov 2013 at 8:22pm

sid your sexual references to myself seem to harbor a? ..are you making a pass at me??

and another delusion,I didn't send Margo and Rasta down there.......ahh.....gainsy took em......I'm a bit worried about all the venom from you Sid.......calm down old fella,you'll bow a gasket...!!

redneck's picture
redneck's picture
redneck Sunday, 10 Nov 2013 at 10:04pm

FIGJAM & his bum licking buddies have turned onto the path of hardship. What options have you left us?!

sidthefish's picture
sidthefish's picture
sidthefish Monday, 11 Nov 2013 at 6:28am

You let em walk straight into a Pinaapple Head ambush, you knew where they were heading and should have given them the heads up, cos it was only ever gunna go pear shaped and it did. I passed 'em on the GOR that morning and pissed myself laughin, cos I knew Pineapple Head would go off his trolley and he did. Whatever, Margo and Rasta didn't derserve to be treated like that, nobody does.

Anyhow Brutus, your little yootoob clip that Shaun dug up has had another 400 views over the weekend, that would be at least 300 odd people who now know you're full of shit. Taking a few people for a ride I'd reckon.

And don't bother trying to get me number off old mate, cos he and anyone else who has got me number knows me well enough to know I'd only tell ya to go fuck yerself anyhow. Besides, he's had nothing to do with you for a good few years now, and we all know why don't we? that's why your calls get put on ignore and your texts get deleted. Just another person you trashed.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Monday, 11 Nov 2013 at 8:44am

WTF are you dribbling on about Sid....seems like ya stalkin me....with stories you have made up to support your angry twisted views.

Nah never sent Rasta/Margo,twas Gainsy......and thanx for the reference to the clip......looks like a few of the people who watched it have ordered bds.....as its not the place you think,DUH!

as for your ol mate and mine ..he still surfs and tows...uses my bds,ah....I wouldn't call ya Mo,why???

So you could watch me fuck myself....you silly old pervert,or is it more sinister ......you seem to have a sexual fixation with older men,............OK all you young surfers ...beware the SID!!!

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 11 Nov 2013 at 9:33am

The Grand Muftis of Swellnet have hereby issued a Fatwah: anymore contentious posts pertaining to Jeff Rowley, Down South, photo exploitation or similar will be deleted. The voices of a few are drowning out the voices of the many.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 11 Nov 2013 at 9:46am

As mentioned above, every offending comment will be deleted...

dave_anning's picture
dave_anning's picture
dave_anning Monday, 11 Nov 2013 at 11:12am

Got zero interest in the rest of the chat, but it was good to see some smooth surfing and a film clip with some decent music.

I haven't got the skills or balls to be riding those waves in The Bombie vid, but watching it I thought the board looked a bit average?

Like maybe it was a bit light and about half a foot too long.