90's style boards for indo

woohcs's picture
woohcs started the topic in Wednesday, 18 Jan 2012 at 10:42am

I found a pair of 90's style boards buried in an old mates garage, just as i booked my first trip to indo(good omen?)about a month ago. Both Hard Rock(dorrington)boards, 6'7.5x18.5 x2.5 and 6'5x18.75x2.5. Both pretty thinnish for their dimensions and rocker like bananas. Had a chance to surf the 6'5" but the conditions havent been ideal to really flesh it out. Have i just saved myself from buying another board for indo? I usually surf a 6'0" maurice cole metro. Good three board travel quiver?

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Wednesday, 18 Jan 2012 at 10:52am

Give it a moment and Backbeach will sort you out. He knows all.......

seal's picture
seal's picture
seal Wednesday, 18 Jan 2012 at 10:56am

If they have rockers like bananas then don't expect them to be too quick down the line. Turn well in the pocket but that is about it.
IMHO

woohcs's picture
woohcs's picture
woohcs Wednesday, 18 Jan 2012 at 11:16am

thought i might be grasping. these would have been pretty cutting edge for their day, almost opposite to todays style of board though. surely guys were ripping on this style of board-what was the general train of thought that ended up with boards so curvy?

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Wednesday, 18 Jan 2012 at 11:26am

how long you heading to Indo for . ?

where are you most likely to surf , its a big archaepaelogo ?

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Wednesday, 18 Jan 2012 at 11:29am

Slater and co pretty much started it and the rest of the sheep followed (myself included as an impressional grom)!!

Seal is on the money above. It will take some work to generate some speed. It could be worth your while taking one or both with you, but it is a gamble. If you have the time, surf them as much as possible to get a fair idea. You might be surprised.

woohcs's picture
woohcs's picture
woohcs Wednesday, 18 Jan 2012 at 11:30am

going to lombok for 6 days and bali reefs for 4 days. Being from eastcoast vicco i dont see hollow waves like indo very often, or warm water...counting the days

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Wednesday, 18 Jan 2012 at 11:50am

lombok boat trip (west coast) , or Kuta Lombok ( sth east )?

Not all waves in Indo are Top to Bottom . But if you are heading this time of year speed maybe an issue .

But you'lll find that your Regular board will be best and maybe the bigger HR one , in case a cyclone spins up over NW Aust . Or even better out near Christmas Island .

As others have said unless you've got something shaped for a particular wave your targeting over there , your regular board will do untill it gets too big to cut the Mustard . ( Rare this time of Year ) .

backbeach's picture
backbeach's picture
backbeach Thursday, 19 Jan 2012 at 9:14am

woohcs"Both pretty thinnish for their dimensions and rocker like bananas"

personally leave em at home, throw them in the bin, a sad reflection of surfing., before the haters attack name me any modern board including slaters that are the reflection of his dodgy boards in the early 90's

Howdy fitz seal was right, check out jim banks indo guns. i found it fascinating your comment "and the rest of the sheep followed (myself included " HMMMMM

woohcs Get a custom made gun Increase length keep thickness, lower width will last you many years, if you can afford airfares you can afford a custom made board, get it glassed to last 6oz from a local shaper.

Leave the regular board at home

woohcs's picture
woohcs's picture
woohcs Thursday, 19 Jan 2012 at 9:42am

Thanks heaps for the info, looks like a trip to the shapers...any excuse for new toys hey!

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Thursday, 19 Jan 2012 at 9:52am

Backbeach, to clarify my comment, I don't mind admitting that as a young and impressional grom in the eighties/early 90's, I was getting boards shaped to what was being ridden at the time. Thats what alot of shapers where doing then, Some of those boards went great and one of them I still have and ride occasionally.

As I've aged, I have leart to understand design and shape more and order boards to suit my needs. I think they call it maturity.

I still experiment with different shapes and design occasionally, and although I didn't know it at the time, thats exactly what was happening when the banana boards started coming out.

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Thursday, 19 Jan 2012 at 7:53pm

Mate , unless you are going to be going to indo on a regular basis don't bother getting a gun specifically made for indo. Your going on a 10 day holiday when its more likely to be flat than big , not an island hopping odyssey for the winter. Having said that, if you are going to keep the local economy rolling by splashing out on a new oki get an all round gun, unless your a hot surfer, when it is big your just hanging on anyway so having it fine tuned to surf certain waves probably will not make a lot of difference to you most of the time. One thing you might want to think of, it was mentioned that you should go narrower when ordering a gun, just remember as the waves get bigger the further out to sea you are and there is more water moving and you need that paddling power to catch and avoid waves, so a little bit of width in a big wave board does not go astray.
I too had a full quiver of those banana boards and had some memorable surfs on them, having said that I moved on pretty quickly.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Thursday, 19 Jan 2012 at 8:58pm

"Mate , unless you are going to be going to indo on a regular basis don't bother getting a gun specifically made for indo. Your going on a 10 day holiday when its more likely to be flat than big , not an island hopping odyssey for the winter."

Spot on. Just look at the forecast before you go. This time of year it's likely to be under 4ft. If there's a swell coming, take a bigger board.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 19 Jan 2012 at 9:21pm

Nice swell above 4ft next Thursday ;)

Gotta coupla mates heading over, hopefully winds behave themselves.

seal's picture
seal's picture
seal Friday, 20 Jan 2012 at 12:30am

For what my opinion is worth, I have had numerous trips to Indo and the majority of the times I have surfed the board I usually surf at home. Sure I take a longer board also, but that would only get ridden on a handful of occasions so if you are going soon and the report doesn't show much swell on the horizon then just take your regular board and a step up board if you have one.
And if you really want to enjoy your surfing, leave the bananas at home on the wall or in the shed where they will be of most use!

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 20 Jan 2012 at 12:33am

Agree with many of the posts above....except if you see a big swell hitting Indo just before you fly out it doesn't leave much time to get a good gun shaped.

To the premise of your thread: rockered out 90's style boards are NOT what you want in Indo - even at the less hollow waves. In fact at the less hollow waves you'll want less rocker so you can throttle through slow, flat sections. Too much rocker and you'll be forced to pump for speed rather than using the wave to generate it.

seal's picture
seal's picture
seal Friday, 20 Jan 2012 at 4:56am

If worse comes to worst and a swell does come there is usually heaps of second hand boards for sale in Bali that will do the trick and Bali being Bali you may be able to barter them down to a reasonable price. I remember Tubes used to always have heaps of boards for sale as well as the warungs up at Ulus, though you may pay more at Ulus. That was a few years past and it may have changed since. Others might have a bit more recent information.

backbeach's picture
backbeach's picture
backbeach Friday, 20 Jan 2012 at 8:06am

Nice opinion shaun, i agree except width lower it, keep thickness or increase for good coral reefs, for a stand alone gun, if the forum is in a quandary about guns, everyone should have one my latest purchase was 7' 19 2 1/2 paddling power ideal for australian storm conditions still works with os trips, 6 oz glass will last, it might sit on the wall for years but its ready to go when needed.

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Saturday, 21 Jan 2012 at 7:53am

Nice opinion shaun, i agree except width lower it, keep thickness or increase for good coral reefs, for a stand alone gun, if the forum is in a quandary about guns, everyone should have one my latest purchase was 7' 19 2 1/2 paddling power ideal for australian storm conditions still works with os trips, 6 oz glass will last, it might sit on the wall for years but its ready to go when needed.

By: "backbeach"

Depends on what your idea of a gun is, I would consider that a step up board, But I am not you, I have one a foot longer an inch wider and 3/8 thicker, but if you feel I should have your latest purchase please send it to me as I need a trade in for my next board.

bigwayne's picture
bigwayne's picture
bigwayne Saturday, 21 Jan 2012 at 8:59am

here we are again now we have an instant go to guy for financial advice and travel agent with the nouse to tell him that he can afford flight he can afford a custom board ( another gold WTF? moment) how can you give advice when the board youy surf looks like that! ( the one in your picture remember) older boards and indo trip or maybe new board and local onshore puss , one has been in said dilemma and chose the former.
if you want to rule the masses backfroth you must understand the complexities of them ( most of us are not share traders and travel agent so we have not the bugsbunny old son)
this was bought to you by a on backfroth like stink on shit HRH bigwayne jong-il

backbeach's picture
backbeach's picture
backbeach Saturday, 21 Jan 2012 at 10:29am

Shaun its serves what i am thrown, i have 5 back ups that are as old as 15 yrs old 8'2 is now a wallhanger until i get the opportunity again. no you cant have it shuan with your dimensions we are talking to different beasts, maybe a diet would be the best port of call

Big wayne again what picture???? ohh the quad fin sailboard twat did you really think that was a surfboard set up, your mind not mine

SCARY here is some advice wayne i dont think it is healthy for people to want to rule the masses online seek help, if thats your goal & what brings you happiness. your insane

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Saturday, 21 Jan 2012 at 9:04pm

No thanks, I prefer paddle power instead of struggling with with an icy pole stick, have a good look at the dimensions of the latest big wave boards being ridden, they are shorter and wider. yes I could lose a couple of pounds but I don't need too. Of course you have bigger gun than me or anyone else, we would not expect any less from you.

rees0's picture
rees0's picture
rees0 Sunday, 22 Jan 2012 at 1:47am

You need more rocker through the nose when surfing hollow waves or you will be finding takeoffs very hard and eating the reef alot... You want a straighter section in the back half for setting the rail in the barrel. The extra power in the bigger waves will create alot of speed for you and unless your surfing deserts or the like having a board that propels you down the line will be more of a hindrance in the sort of surf.....

However for the waves that your most likely to encounter if you've got the spare dosh get yourself a handshaped custom all rounder from your local shaper and you will get alot from it.

I found a 90's indo board in a mates garage as well and while theres more rocker in it then what would come nowadays the board is still functional and suits a certain style of surfing. People were getting barrelled in the 90's..........

I'm still yet to surf a day in aus that has warranted that sort of board since i found it so the 700 a quality board will cost is better spent on something you can surf every week.