downsizing

loggerdan's picture
loggerdan started the topic in Monday, 9 Jan 2012 at 11:42pm

Hi,

I'm a long time logger and I just got a 7'3 for something different.
The trouble is I can't get it wired. Paddling and catching waves no Probs, can even hang 5 on it. It's just when I come to doing a cuttie i always seem to get bogged. I guess I need to shift my weight more forward in a turn, rather than jamming my back foot like I do to swing a log. Anyone got any tips for me to keep in mind when I go out next to speed things up a bit?

Cheers
Dan

backbeach's picture
backbeach's picture
backbeach Saturday, 21 Jan 2012 at 7:26am

whetunui"Backbeach, I have grabbed a few from the tip over the years. Im not too good at restoring them though. "
start the journey its costly but resources are online

Seal"Waterman is a term that someone else gives a person, such as Laird Hamilton, not some wanker triehard who probably rides a few different boards, gives to themselves! "Look at me, I ride so many boards I must be a waterman." "I can ride any vechicle""

No seal a waterman is not a corporate millionaire like laird hamilton it is someone who lives the ocean, no money required developing skills in fishing, diving snorkelling, surfing etc etc the greatest waterman i ever met was a 60 yr old in the solomon islands who probably earnt cash in his life time equivalant to your yearly wage and he made his own canoe that was 35 yrs old your concept of a waterman is deluded

I hope to one day become a waterman its a work in progress, could you dump me on a beach with a 4wd packed with equipment & no supplies for a month yes, could i live like that forever yes will the missus & kids allow that NO

Non local"Backbeach, you slammed me from the get go, "

No i did not slam you precious i just disagreed with your reality, you could have responded to what i said but you chose to be childish & attack the size of my dick & my wifes supposed sex acts, hence your credibility dropped

Non local"you are just like a lot the so called watermen around the north coast, not all as there are a couple that get respect, who think that their ability to afford a quiver affords them respect in the lineup. "

No one in the line up deserves respect its the attitude, if mark richards, occy, tom carroll, Slater, a grommet & a european tourist drops in & becomes self important the result is the same. SImple wait your turn, waterman are rare, i think if you read some books the waterman theory may become clear laird hamilton is not a waterman he is a brand

I regularly drop in on so called local legends you think they need respect as they are no more deserving of waves them me or you

Non local"That is a true waterman, not someone who is a fashion statement."

you are a fashion statement following your gurus & legends

zenagain"Backbeach, who knows, you probably do rip? I knew a bloke once who told everybody how good he was. Turned out to be the biggest flapper in the lineup.

When did i ever say i rip or was good, the greatest moments in surfing for me are solitary, i hope the best tube I ever get is seen by no one nor a video camera

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Saturday, 21 Jan 2012 at 7:43am

Quote by backbeach,"I regularly drop in on so called local legends you think they need respect as they are no more deserving of waves them me or you"

Can't wait to see how your kid's turn out with you as a role model!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stranger's picture
stranger's picture
stranger Saturday, 21 Jan 2012 at 8:09am

whetunui: There is a property developer on the NSW mid-north coast who tried to use an exposay of his own lifestyle and personal interest in surfing as a tool to promote his beachside subdivision in an in-flight magazine.

Among the glossy pictures in the advertorial was one of his quiver, all of which were the same colour with all the decals etc in the same spot. The quote attributed to the photo was along the lines of "I get all my boards made to look the same so my wife doesn't notice if I get a new one".

Pretty smart as long as your wife doesn't get on the plane.

Betcha his sphincter tightened up when he found out they printed that loose quip.

backbeach's picture
backbeach's picture
backbeach Saturday, 21 Jan 2012 at 11:27am

Shaun"Quote by backbeach,"I regularly drop in on so called local legends you think they need respect as they are no more deserving of waves them me or you"

Shaun"Can't wait to see how your kid's turn out with you as a role model!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

your kidding shaun, if you do not understand that your lost should i advise my kids to be complacent to the local legend crap, should i teach them their place & not be stood over by twats, or older kooky surfers i regularly let local youngsters have waves & others will do the same as they grow up

What i cannot put up with is wave stealing

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Saturday, 21 Jan 2012 at 6:32pm

Funny in the world I live in, the bloke that has to "regularly drop in" is a kook and generally is just past by as he has no place in the pecking order. If you need to drop in on a regular basis, maybe you just don't fit in.
Perhaps you could try moving from the shoulder to the actual take off and start off a conversation with all the other locals, some thing along the line of the ones you have been having here. I'm sure in no time you will have the peak to yourself and as time goes by and all the boys get to know you better, when they see you paddling out, they'll paddle straight in.

non-local's picture
non-local's picture
non-local Saturday, 21 Jan 2012 at 11:43pm

Bbeach dropping in won't make you a waterman, respect is earnt in the lineup and pecking orders are established, you don't have to be a local at a certain beach to get respect, it can be got by simply saying hello to a few people in the lineup. It can be gotten by ripping the shit out of your first wave and it can be gotten by surfing a certain break for years and years and having the place dialed in. It cant be gotten by dropping in on people and writing them off.
You are trying to preach to someone who at the core of it is sick to death of kooks self promoting themselves in order to be surfers, or worse still a waterman. Now if you are truly going to become a real waterman Bbeach you will need to move to south oz or west oz to get your taste of slab surfing and you may as well ride your alia. There is no such thing as a waterman in the north coast of NSW as you don't get enough swell to become one. Vicco has a few real watermen and they are deserving of respect and to top it off they are doing it for themselves. They get all embarressed when someone calls them a waterman, not wanking on like some people.

Loggerdan, how are those cutty's comming along?

non-local's picture
non-local's picture
non-local Saturday, 21 Jan 2012 at 11:47pm

Oh and Laird is a true waterman, lets see you tackle jaws or chopes.

seal's picture
seal's picture
seal Sunday, 22 Jan 2012 at 5:32am

Yep Backbiter, I've gotta agree with Non local but probably take it further by saying the term waterman, in my opinion only, is a bit of a wank all round. The sort of blokes that you could class as watermen probably wouldn't want any attention brought on themselves by the media and would surely not self promote as others do by calling themselves waterman or aspiring to become one.
Have a good read through what you have posted Backbiter and have a good hard look at yourself. If you don't think you've been over the top and had a bit of a toss off about yourself then you probably more of a wanker than I give you credit for.
Tone it down and give people good info and due credit and then others might take you a little more seriously. Just a thought!

loggerdan's picture
loggerdan's picture
loggerdan Sunday, 22 Jan 2012 at 8:09am

Mr Bigwayne & Mr non-local
The cutbacks are coming along nicely. As long as I think about what my shoulders and arms are doing it all flows through. I just need to keep practicing and eventually it will become second nature. Starting to get a bit more drive into them though.

Thanks for asking.
Cheers
Dan.

bigwayne's picture
bigwayne's picture
bigwayne Sunday, 22 Jan 2012 at 8:43am

thank you mr dan , thank you very much ,and of course things are comming along swimmingly my loyal subject , one has the answers to all of his subjects quandrys, matter of fact one has an answer for everything!
this was bought to you by a consoled and smugly warm HRH bigwayne

sidthefish's picture
sidthefish's picture
sidthefish Sunday, 22 Jan 2012 at 8:50am

big wayne - driving a Prius reduces ones smog, but increases ones smug.

bigwayne's picture
bigwayne's picture
bigwayne Sunday, 22 Jan 2012 at 9:26am

mr thefish , the non use of manners on this site will not be tolerated.(notice the mr mr thefish), but as your better it ones duty as such, to inform you that ones smugness is mesured in dock loads of said vehicular transport.
see mrs backfroth , one can get along with one and all including your (at the moment)boorishself, surrender to your gut feelings and join the juggernaught that is bigwayne! and this silly talk of not reading ones posts is an outrage! a fib if you will mrs backfroth, we both know that you read them its just that you cant bring yourself to admit that you really do love and adore one, ones juantiness does have a certain allure does it not mrs backfroth? anyhoo.....
this was bought to you by a knowing that mr backbeach has been hinted to by all and sundry and he thinks , nay knows, that he will understand the lineup HRH bigwayne

wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443 Sunday, 22 Jan 2012 at 9:19pm

... i will leave you to your bland unquestioning existence ... Its been bland thanks ...

By: "backbeach"

So, why haven't you left then?