downsizing

loggerdan's picture
loggerdan started the topic in Monday, 9 Jan 2012 at 11:42pm

Hi,

I'm a long time logger and I just got a 7'3 for something different.
The trouble is I can't get it wired. Paddling and catching waves no Probs, can even hang 5 on it. It's just when I come to doing a cuttie i always seem to get bogged. I guess I need to shift my weight more forward in a turn, rather than jamming my back foot like I do to swing a log. Anyone got any tips for me to keep in mind when I go out next to speed things up a bit?

Cheers
Dan

bigwayne's picture
bigwayne's picture
bigwayne Tuesday, 10 Jan 2012 at 6:44am

mr dan there is a few things that need to be sorted out before one can give his totally (un)wanted opinion , like, is it a thruster set up or single or quad? 7'3 is rather small to hang toes but anythings possible .minimal or gun? they as you know all surf differently

loggerdan's picture
loggerdan's picture
loggerdan Tuesday, 10 Jan 2012 at 8:05am

Hi Big Wayne.

It's a thruster. It's the Oxbow 7'3 mini mal.
The Hang five is the Paul Strauch style where you get low on your back foot and stretch your front leg out to the nose, so most of my weight is way back from the front of the board.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

dellabeach's picture
dellabeach's picture
dellabeach Wednesday, 11 Jan 2012 at 4:37am

Any chance of posting video of failed cutback attempts so the problem can be correctly analysed? failing that,when you bog,is it because the board has come around too far causing you to lose speed or does it just bog as it rolls onto the rail without having really initiated the turn?

loggerdan's picture
loggerdan's picture
loggerdan Wednesday, 11 Jan 2012 at 5:05am

Hi dellabeach,

Sorry no footage available. It all starts out ok. Going forehand I get a bit of speed move to the top of the face, start the turn and it's when I get facing the beach that it goes wrong. My longboard would just drive through the turn, but I always end up with my back foot and ass in the water on the 7'3.
I guess I'll just have to put in the hours and work on it.

dellabeach's picture
dellabeach's picture
dellabeach Wednesday, 11 Jan 2012 at 5:37am

Just check that your back foot is at least over your side fins no further forward if anything try a touch further behind them(a good way to check is by scraping the wax off forward of the leading edge of your side fins,if you're too far forward you'll slip).Also be aware of what your arms/hands are doing,try to keep them between your waist and chest and point your hands along the arc you're wanting to carve(steering).Start off gently and as you get more successful add a little more back foot power until it feels good to you.
Put your hours in ESPECIALLY in shitty waves,once you've got it wired in slop it will feel even easier in better waves.
Good luck and good on you for being brave enough to ask for advice,why waste waves if it can be avoided?

non-local's picture
non-local's picture
non-local Wednesday, 11 Jan 2012 at 9:16pm

Dan,
I ride both short boards and long boards and the thing that gets me is how are you bogging on a smaller board? It may be your fins, are they plastic? You may be overloading them and causing them to release causing the rail to have to take over and thus bogging under pressure.
A good cutback is just like a good cornering style in a car, what you need to do is to have a lot of speed and power loaded up going into the turn (croner) then through the apex of the turn (corner) you take your weight off the board (accelerator) to move from one rail to the other (adjust the attitude of the car) then once the board is on the opposite rail you apply the power smoothley until it comes time to rebound.
This needs to be done smoothly to not bog, in a car to not spin out.
Fins are important in this as they will hold the speed and load and need to react fast. A good set of fins will make all the difference.
Try doing a half drop knee cutback and just feed the power through the turn smoothly with your weight centered.
I think your problem is jamming the turn rather than carving it, you are releasing all of your power in the apex of the turn and have nothing left in the tank to drive the board through the last part of the turn, a longboard will compensate this and flow through where a shorter board will bog.
Hope this helps, cheers!

loggerdan's picture
loggerdan's picture
loggerdan Wednesday, 11 Jan 2012 at 9:54pm

Thanks guys, there's some good advice there. I'll let you know how I go.

backbeach's picture
backbeach's picture
backbeach Thursday, 12 Jan 2012 at 10:14am

logger dan, The board is not the problem, nor is it length or width, its you, Now you want to turn, practice get a fat fish 6'6,(fatburner webber) a forum cannot teach yo to surf

NON LOCAL "It may be your fins, are they plastic? You may be overloading them and causing them to release causing the rail to have to take over and thus bogging under pressure. "

That is the most outrageousely funny thing ever, plastic , overloading them, causing the rail which you have no idea about to take over, thus bogging under pressure, still laughing.

Why i say this i just got ripped off on the super special blah blah fcs fins the plastic standards are back in, worst fins ever going on ebay next

Loggerdan take your new creation out for a week with no fins??????? become a waterman not a consumer

non-local's picture
non-local's picture
non-local Thursday, 12 Jan 2012 at 7:23pm

backbeach,
mate you dont have a clue do you.

loggerdan's picture
loggerdan's picture
loggerdan Thursday, 12 Jan 2012 at 9:05pm

Thanks for your helpful advice backbeach. I am aware that I am the problem and not the board, which is why I'm asking for tips.
And why would you advise a different board if the board is not the problem???????

I thought non-locals advice was helpful, so unless you have something useful to add, keep it to yourself.

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Friday, 13 Jan 2012 at 3:13am

@ Loggerdan,

Good on you for your honesty and to those that obviously know like non-local etc for there advice.

Don't worry about backbeach, as he has proven to be new and forcing his opinions down everyones throat. Wants his 15 mins of fame and doesn't understand the likes of Bigwayne. He may learn one day but at the moment will comment on everything and anything, good or bad.

BTW, good to see you back Bigwayne !!

Keep at it dan and most of all enjoy yourself.

backbeach's picture
backbeach's picture
backbeach Friday, 13 Jan 2012 at 10:07am

I dont know i may be overloading my comments causing them to release to early, but they dont bog under pressure

NONlocal i have to much of a clue its scary at times, rode a surfmat today hilarious, didnt feel the need to ask for pointers tonight though. Maybe you could fill me in on greenough inflation techniques for surfmats, forget it might ride the clubby board tommorow or the 1963 gordon woods with a 1kg fin

No clue what i'm doing tommorow

backbeach's picture
backbeach's picture
backbeach Friday, 13 Jan 2012 at 10:41am

loggerdan, " I am aware that I am the problem and not the board, which is why I'm asking for tips.
I agreed originally, you have to spend the hours doing it yourself,

loggerdan"And why would you advise a different board if the board is not the problem???????"
Why collect surfboards get small ones large ones, ride single fins,twins, tris & quads of different lengths, either get a surf coach or ride every vehicle you can find & master it all, personally taking my massively heavy 1963 gordon woods out occasional improves my shortboard surfing, taking my 7'2 robert conelly out in big surf adds a lot to when i jump on my 6'10 modern gun, The 7'2 is harder to master & is not mastered

loggerdan "I thought non-locals advice was helpful, so unless you have something useful to add, keep it to yourself."

removing plastic fins is not the issue or the solution to your problem nor is
Non local"I think your problem is jamming the turn rather than carving it,"

Take the easy fluff approach or take a can of harden up & become a better surfer the choice is yours, I can ride any vehicle, aim for that just takes hours of fun play, no words or forum can solve your issues just time in the water, ride the worst surfboard you can find for a week than you will improve & understand

backbeach's picture
backbeach's picture
backbeach Friday, 13 Jan 2012 at 11:16am

Gees fitz, you must be a grommet

Fitzroy ":Don't worry about backbeach, as he has proven to be new and forcing his opinions down everyones throat. "

No fitz just my opinions, hate them, debate them, destroy them, i do not care, certainly not forced down a throat of anyone, still thats what you may call disagreance, it does hurt the online forum world who just want cuddles and aggreeance.

Simple if you find someones words or opinions shite respond to it prove them wrong, you have not so just attacked me ....., lame well done, i understand why you have a false guru/messiah because you have nothing

Fitzroy"Backbeach Wants his 15 mins of fame and doesn't understand the likes of Bigwayne. He may learn one day but at the moment will comment on everything and anything, good or bad."

Fitzroy we are all anonymous posters even if names were stated i would hardly think my greatest moment in life & my 15 mins of fame would occur on the swellnet forum.
Yes i do not understand BIGwayne the 4'5 midget, is he some sort of guru to you ??????, fair enough follow i do not care, i have no gurus or desire followers. AND fitz i will comment on everything and anything, good or bad is that OK???????????????????? or will that interfer with your love guru fest & group think.

Now take your billabong boardshorts your quiksilver tshirt & Your GSI surfboard & go surfing, & make yourself a better person & stop complaining when you are dropped in on.

PEACE LOVE SURFING

bigwayne's picture
bigwayne's picture
bigwayne Saturday, 14 Jan 2012 at 12:18am

mr beach, guru one is not ,but have been accused of being a raconteur , and still, one
thinks, by way of virtue, that you have not helped our esteemed collegue mr dan with his
quandry and why is that mr beach? nevermind.you must have 2 penises...........
anyhoo.. mr dan not forgetting the fact that one is the "guru", all round ladies man,
high performance coach and comp director for the "pro" tour, every thing that one says is right right! ok .. said you rode logs ( as does one) dont be tempted to jam the turns , finesse grasshopper is whats needed , if that minimal is 7'3 would it be around 3" ? if so , and knowing your not bigwayne , 6'4"and2/3 and 120.23 kgs ,you might have to , as you finesse the turn , justkeep the board a bit flater by moving your front foot forward a little and turn the upper half of your body to where youwant to go and use the momentum from arm and waist to get through the turn.there is still alot of foam in a minimal and if it has alot of rocker that can add to the problem big mr dan.
this was bought to you by a still not understanding the reason for mr beaches vitriol HRH bigwayne

non-local's picture
non-local's picture
non-local Saturday, 14 Jan 2012 at 1:44am

Hey backbeach,
Mate you take the cake this week for biggest surfmat inflator. You seem to think that this thread is all about how good you are and what a hero you are. Would love to have a surf with you one day.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Saturday, 14 Jan 2012 at 4:04am

Nice one non-local.

Methinks his lips have been attached to the nozzle just a wee bit too long as well.

backbeach's picture
backbeach's picture
backbeach Saturday, 14 Jan 2012 at 7:21am

non local, i too would love to surf with you, the thread is about me is it i'm a hero, blah blah, sorry for invading your fluff world, words do not make you a better surfer experience does, you can explain all you want to a kid on how to ride a bike, until they do it again & again they will not get it regardless of the emotive crap that you spout to them.
Big wayne sorry HER ROYAL HIGNESS, your comments are over analysis of surfing if people cannot work it out themselves like riding a bike they have no hope

whetunui's picture
whetunui's picture
whetunui Saturday, 14 Jan 2012 at 9:05pm

Methinks BBeech is a bit of a trolling type. Theres nothing wrong with asking for advice on here. And I don't see the need for the aggressive responses either.

BW we have long awaited your return oh holy one, how was the sabbatical ?

non-local's picture
non-local's picture
non-local Sunday, 15 Jan 2012 at 2:34am

backbeach, how do you know how much experience I have or don't have? What level of experience do you have?
So with your son who you are teaching to surf do you just put the board under his arm and tell him to go surfing, or do you give him advice? When he gets old enough to surf well and he asks you the mechanics of a particular turn are you going to tell him to go figure it out for himself?
Are you putting up a front because your cutbacks suck and you are the jelous type?
I would hate to have you as a dad ;-)

bigwayne's picture
bigwayne's picture
bigwayne Sunday, 15 Jan 2012 at 3:05am

big mr nui , long service leave was always going to be my birthright after such short tenure as lord and master , G.M.R.C club captain and all round nice guy with a juanty angle to ones hat.ones onesness has been more one with one for having such a loyal subject.
this just in from number 12....... backbeach , lets get one thing straight i dont like the rest of the numbers in here and they dont like me , so mate , i was wondering if you could come over and give me a hand to sort out this mess ? sure there is a few rats running around in here but you should fit right in! so give me a call eh?...... one thinks hes the boss of all of us.
thank you mr 12 that will be all get back in your place! now! sorry for the intrusion loyal subjects but as you know one has a constant fight on his hands with the 22.
we as the (self)appointed custodians of all that is fair and good in this land of swellnet generously held together by huge mr nettle and huge mr ben one has treid and it it seems failed in the attempts to give mr beach a guiding hand in the way that your betters should and as such will have to throw a mantrum untill one gets what one wants and that is only undying devotion to the GURU yes GURU (a moniker given by others) is that too much to ask? anyhoo........
it seems that mr dan has been scared away with the crassness of the uneducated , but hopefully will return and ask us again for advice
this was bought to you by a wanting mr dan to forgive us for our indescretions HRH bigwayne

loggerdan's picture
loggerdan's picture
loggerdan Sunday, 15 Jan 2012 at 10:30pm

Ok Guys,
I'm starting to get it together now.
I ended up getting a tail pad so that I would know that my back foot was over the fins, and am really making a conscious effort to rotate my shoulders and have my arms/hands in the right place and let the board follow my rotation through the turn, rather than forcing the board around.

I had the beach to myself for about two hours this morning, so all I did was take off and cutback every time.
I had noticeably improved by the end of that session.

Thanks for the tips guys, they really did help.

Cheers
Dan

backbeach's picture
backbeach's picture
backbeach Wednesday, 18 Jan 2012 at 9:00am

WHETUNUI"Methinks BBeech is a bit of a trolling type. Theres nothing wrong with asking for advice on here. And I don't see the need for the aggressive responses either."

Asking advice fair enoungh, what you term aggressive responses are just dissenting views, should every response have a fluffy female response

non local "backbeach, how do you know how much experience I have or don't have?
your posts & responses

non local" What level of experience do you have?"

I am a waterman

non local"So with your son who you are teaching to surf do you just put the board under his arm and tell him to go surfing, or do you give him advice?
He is 3 he has a mentoring shadow

non local"When he gets old enough to surf well and he asks you the mechanics of a particular turn are you going to tell him to go figure it out for himself?
No i will video him & point out were he went wrong or maybe he will go fut off dad i'm just having fun & will do my own thing do not care either way

Non local"Are you putting up a front because your cutbacks suck and you are the jelous type?

I like my cutbacks its my favourite surfing motion, no i'm not the jealous type tends to happen when you have a hot wife

non local "I would hate to have you as a dad"

I would hate to have you as a son mummys boy,
My son at 3 has caught a flathead dropped in on a foamie on a 3 ft wave, snorkled rocks what more can i do???????????????

backbeach's picture
backbeach's picture
backbeach Wednesday, 18 Jan 2012 at 9:28am

I unravell company reports easily now i unravel a big wayne post

BigWayne " backbeach , lets get one thing straight i dont like the rest of the numbers in here and they dont like me , so mate , i was wondering if you could come over and give me a hand to sort out this mess ? "

you dont like posters here & they do not like you why are you here???????????

AS jacko said "i'm an individual you cant fool me". stupidity like your rocker theory shows you have nothing

BIG wayne" sure there is a few rats running around in here but you should fit right in! so give me a call eh?...... one thinks hes the boss of all of us."

Who is the boss of all of us?????, i'm running around here nude & saying what i want refreshing.

BIGwayne" thank you mr 12 that will be all get back in your place! now! sorry for the intrusion loyal subjects but as you know one has a constant fight on his hands with the 22."

NO COMMENT

BIGwayne"we as the (self)appointed custodians of all that is fair and good in this land of swellnet generously held together by huge mr nettle and huge mr ben one has treid and it it seems failed in the attempts to give mr beach a guiding hand in the way that your betters should and as such "

BIG WAYNE THINKS he is (self)appointed custodian, Your betters & such a guiding hand,
WAyne your deluded views are your own not worthy of indoctrination of the masses as has been shown previously by other posters & mine

BIGwayne" will have to throw a mantrum untill one gets what one wants

WAAA WAAA WAAA WAAAA SOME ONE call the WHAMBULANCE, throw your mantrum, so capital city, so gay, hope you get the legend status you want by stamping your feet

BIGwayne"it seems that mr dan has been scared away with the crassness of the uneducated , but hopefully will return and ask us again for advice"

mr dan probably ran away when you told him rubbish, yes i agree you did scare him away, what advice

Here is a question her royal highness i like quads what area of fins should i have i'm 80kg

ando's picture
ando's picture
ando Wednesday, 18 Jan 2012 at 12:34pm

watch what you say to Mr Back Beach....he's core local that boy...check out his design savy quad fins....he's so local that boy that he's allowed to critize sydney surfers and call them kooks...check out his local views on his own thread...invasion of the north coast...he's north coast local surfer dude..

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Wednesday, 18 Jan 2012 at 2:22pm

Backbeach is a fucking pole smoker that has been here 5 minutes and wants to start guessing the make up of people that share these forums. Comes in all guns firing full auto. If anyone dares criticize him he'll then decide to quote your every word and retort. "Oh you must be a grom." Pppffff.

Fucken eat dick Backbeach.

If you actually have been around or read previous forums, you may have gotten to know a few things and the general make up of a lot of regulars. Their little nuances, where they are from, where they have been and where they are now.

You've got fuck all.

Comment all you like in return, I couldn't give a flying fuck. I've met plenty of dick eaters like you in my travels, and your bullshit is like teflon.

mrsbradpitt's picture
mrsbradpitt's picture
mrsbradpitt Wednesday, 18 Jan 2012 at 2:37pm

maybe buy a paddle and turn it into a SUP. its about the right size

non-local's picture
non-local's picture
non-local Wednesday, 18 Jan 2012 at 10:23pm

Backbeach you don't know shit do you turkey.

non-local's picture
non-local's picture
non-local Wednesday, 18 Jan 2012 at 10:26pm

Bbeach we all know about your hot wife, pity she thinks you are a wanker with a pin dick anyway. She looks after all the boys when you are out watermaning.

loggerdan's picture
loggerdan's picture
loggerdan Thursday, 19 Jan 2012 at 3:28am

Hey Backbeach.

No-one is trying to start a fight with you, but you're making a pretty easy target. If there are some things you don't agree with, fair enough post another opinion, but you don't need to burn the person who made the comment. Let it slide.

As for your comment about your 1963 gordon woods with a 1kg fin.
I've got a 1950's balsa pig that I ride often, and it does make me a better surfer on my other boards, so I agree with you on that one.

Chill out everyone.

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Thursday, 19 Jan 2012 at 4:03am

Hey Dan, does it really make you a better surfer? Or do your other boards just feel better after surfing the pig.

loggerdan's picture
loggerdan's picture
loggerdan Thursday, 19 Jan 2012 at 4:19am

I learnt to do drop knee turns on the pig, and to recover from a pearling while stepping. So maybe it makes me a better long boarder, rather than better surfer? Anyway it's loads of fun, just don't fall off or you have to swim to the beach to get it back, the bastard will ride a wave with no-one on it.

backbeach's picture
backbeach's picture
backbeach Thursday, 19 Jan 2012 at 7:26am

Fair enough loggerdan, as you said i just disagreed, their only words, of disagreance I'm not guilty of childhood name calling of "pole smoker" & "pin dick", i never went that low, pin dick gees havent heard that one since year 7, i respond on words which a forum is if your wrong i will respond, sorry for disagreeing

loggerdan 1950's balsa Thats an expensive craft to be taking out $5000?? special thing

As for riding old pigs and i will include singles twinnies quads etc dan shaun

i believe it does make you surf better, riding my gordon woods requires an approach like chess 5 moves ahead, its hard, 70's single fins are same same but different, you have to surf different a more flowing style 3 moves ahead, twinnies like riding a skateboard different again., tri's i'm bored with them, and hate them now as i like quads they perform better in all conditions

All require you to use a different part of the wave & to attack a wave different.

Sometimes the greatest stoke i will get is from riding a 2-3ft wave and making the end on the beast, the same stoke as getting barreled.

Sometimes the craziness of a twinny makes me feel stoked in a different way

I encourage you all to take a selection of boards down the beach, start at the pig & catch waves until you master one than change, by the time your on your favourite it flows beautifully, regardless of conditions. Your approach to riding a board has changed everytime & those benefits flow on.

When my sons grow up their first waves will be on the 1963 beast plus clubby boards & alaias, than the 70's single than twinnies etc etc. No leg ropes, again you surf different with out the umbilical cord

People forget the skill involved in riding everything, even alaias an abomination for paddling but once your up & riding sweet.

Enjoy every craft except those that have royalties attached.

loggerdan's picture
loggerdan's picture
loggerdan Thursday, 19 Jan 2012 at 7:46am

I'm not worried about what the pig is worth. I got it from my dad and it's no good on the wall. Ton of fun though .

stranger's picture
stranger's picture
stranger Thursday, 19 Jan 2012 at 10:10am

A happy surfer has a quiver

whetunui's picture
whetunui's picture
whetunui Thursday, 19 Jan 2012 at 11:18am

Stranger that is exactly what I keep telling the missus.

backbeach's picture
backbeach's picture
backbeach Friday, 20 Jan 2012 at 8:19am

Stranger & whetnui keep you eyes open even the dump throws up surprises, restore & love.

Took the beast out today (old 1960's mal), one beautiful cutback was the same as a great tube when you paddle in after it, alaia tommorow, maybe even a single fin found a bank dredging

its good having a quiver.

stranger's picture
stranger's picture
stranger Friday, 20 Jan 2012 at 8:49am

That and "yes dear, for the third time, you do look nice in that outfit"

seal's picture
seal's picture
seal Friday, 20 Jan 2012 at 9:54am

Gees, how do you get to be a self confessed waterman with a hot wife? Suppose it's by being a "core local" on the north coast.
Hey Backbeach at first i used to like your posts but now I think you've become over the top.
Big Wayne is a funny cunt but Backbeach, you don't have the funny part.

whetunui's picture
whetunui's picture
whetunui Friday, 20 Jan 2012 at 10:12am

Backbeach, I have grabbed a few from the tip over the years. Im not too good at restoring them though.

Stranger, "Does this mal make my ass look big ?" My beloved has a thousand pairs of shoes ( most of which cost about half a surfboard) but I get the ultra frowns if I even go near the board shop. She can't understand my need for more than one board :)

backbeach's picture
backbeach's picture
backbeach Friday, 20 Jan 2012 at 10:17am

Seal you find wayne the swellnet computer geek who does not surf funny, now thats funny,

Self confessed waterman seal i live it daily & do not need anyone to notice nor an internet forum you sad sack. hot wife was only a response to non local drivel

Overall this forum has several members who understand our pastime and a bunch of deluded wannabes & children who think an insult is you have a pin dick (thanks for that non local) plus some tech heads

i will leave you to your bland unquestioning existence where you can all sing kumbya together

Its been bland thanks

seal's picture
seal's picture
seal Friday, 20 Jan 2012 at 9:51pm

What Backbiter, you regard me a sad sack because I don't self promote myself as a "waterman with a hot wife"!
Get a grip man! Surely you know what Australians think of self promoting wankers talking themselves up ?

Waterman is a term that someone else gives a person, such as Laird Hamilton, not some wanker triehard who probably rides a few different boards, gives to themselves! "Look at me, I ride so many boards I must be a waterman." "I can ride any vechicle"

Gesta non verba. You know what that means. It's latin for deeds not words. Something a lot of people on these forums could well try to live by, not the American way of talking yourselves up and self promotion, leave that for Hollywood types and wankers!

non-local's picture
non-local's picture
non-local Friday, 20 Jan 2012 at 10:21pm

Backbeach,
you slammed me from the get go, I tried to hold back on you but you seem to be on here to get reactions from people. I explained to loggerdan the fundamentals of a good cutback and you took it upon your self promoted waterman self to make yourself out to be the be all and end all.
Well I am with seal on this one.
As for my own credentials I have no need to list them here to glorify myself to others, but be ware backbeach as they are pretty good on anyones standards.
You are just like a lot the so called watermen around the north coast, not all as there are a couple that get respect, who think that their ability to afford a quiver affords them respect in the lineup.
Now if the advice that I gave to Loggerdan about performing a cutback is incorrect I will eat my longboard and have a shortboard for desert, because I have been doing cutbacks for more than 35 years and should know a thing or two about them.

non-local's picture
non-local's picture
non-local Friday, 20 Jan 2012 at 10:24pm

And for the record a real waterman is someone who can break a leggie in 20 foot plus surf and not be bothered by the situation at all, someone who is happy in the worst of situations the ocean can deliver. Someone who is prepared to swim out in 20 foot + surf to rescue someone. That is a true waterman, not someone who is a fashion statement.

bigwayne's picture
bigwayne's picture
bigwayne Friday, 20 Jan 2012 at 10:59pm

can anyone see whats going on here , mr your not local , how can you possibly know how to do a cutback after only 35 years ? come on answer that one .but what does one know hes only a tech head!
this was bought to you by a having a quiver of boards so that makes me a "waterman" HRH bigwayne

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 20 Jan 2012 at 11:04pm

And an even more real waterman is someone who doesn't wear a leggie in 20ft surf.

Don't let him get to you NL, he's been bangin' on about doing his 'cutback on a 2ft wave on a nice little bank to himself'. Better than being tubed he reckons. I don't think he's ever been tubed and wouldn't know a lip if it hit him in the head.

Backbeach, who knows, you probably do rip? I knew a bloke once who told everybody how good he was. Turned out to be the biggest flapper in the lineup.

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Friday, 20 Jan 2012 at 11:24pm

Non-local , gotta disagree on you about what makes a real waterman. Guys that surf those sort of waves are concerned when they bust a leggie, there comfortable in the situation cause they trained for it and done there homework.
I like surfing bigger waves, it's less crowded. But from the time I see the size of the swell, till the time I,ve finished surfing and paddled in, I'm a bundle of nerves and very cautious, till I'm dropping into a bomb and I'm rushing. I'm not a waterman by any means, but I have known a few over the years and believe me they shit themselves, That's why they love it.

seal's picture
seal's picture
seal Friday, 20 Jan 2012 at 11:31pm

Hey Bigwayne I've got a quiver too so can I be a waterman also, can I, can I?
I'll even go out and shape my own alaia or even take the door off the shed and paddle out at the local Backbeach cause I'm that core I never surf where there are others. Fuck I'm that good that my hot wife never even looks at other blokes, except Laird when he stays at my house, so please can I be a waterman too?
Eagerly awaiting your HRH's royal anointment.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 20 Jan 2012 at 11:42pm

Hey Shaun, love your honesty.

I'm a bit that way myself. As soon as it's a couple of feet overhead, my sphincter starts tightening up. Double overhead + and it loosens again (and not in a good way). Triple overhead and I'm usually 'running late because it's my day to drive for meals on wheels';)

Not to mention the odd dry heave before paddling out when no one is looking. But I suppose when I jag a big set I slap myself for being such a pussy.

bigwayne's picture
bigwayne's picture
bigwayne Saturday, 21 Jan 2012 at 5:29am

mr seal, the use of profanity ones kingdom is forbidden , exept in cases of flattery of course,and you will never again use that word in ones presence. one does try to amuse but calling one funny is just not on! you need not woman nor quiver mr seal to be a waterman just the desire to be...... ok! just between you and ones almighty self , one thinks that old mrs backfroth has got the message , she worships one (as you all do) one just has a feeling that he will soon show to be the man that one has raised him to be ( yes one has two) and give in to the bigwayness of it all!?!?????.
has one digressed too much loyal subjects ? if so apologies will be accepted from you in all forms of media.
mr dan are you there? if so can you please put your feerless leeder and all round ladies man, big HRH bigwayne jong-il ( a moniker given by others but none the less fitting one thinks)a rundown on how things are progressing....please!
this was bought to you by a totally inconsoleable untill mr dan responds HRH bigwayne jong-il