The Mid Coast White Pointer

funpeeler's picture
funpeeler started the topic in Friday, 18 Nov 2011 at 6:19am

Can anyone verify the rumours? Not knowing a lot about sharks I am wondering what the game plan is. Will it just set up residence and patrol between the rivermouth and Triggs or will it move on?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 18 Nov 2011 at 8:27pm

Yeah, there's been a few rumours around the last few weeks. In reality though I don't know if it's much different from the norm - there's been a few resident Mid Coast sharks over the years, most notably the big fella who used to patrol between Moana and Seaford back in the day (and for whom the break 'Fred Nerks' is named after).

victor's picture
victor's picture
victor Friday, 18 Nov 2011 at 8:51pm

thermal,re the fred nerks spot,recall a story that fred was actually a surfer? the story got changed over the years ,fred became a shark.....?big fred a large pointer was well known to frequent the barges fishing ground off pt stanvac.hey i may be wrong about fred nerks ,rod 'weasel'bedford might be able to clarify the story ,his site surf history s.a. im sure rod could help.
the recent sighting just one of many whites following the squid and snapper up the gulf ,as they do this time of year.

mozzie's picture
mozzie's picture
mozzie Friday, 18 Nov 2011 at 11:38pm

Big Fred also has a snapper fishing spot out from Glenelg known as 'Freds Ground'. There was an article in the Southern Times Messenger last week on the shark having several witnesses and cruising through the jetty at Pt Noarlunga also. A small 3m bronzie is also currently cruising the line up at Gulls... Hopefully his mate doesn't visit...

nathanangelakis's picture
nathanangelakis's picture
nathanangelakis Saturday, 19 Nov 2011 at 7:35am

yeh a friend said he was 20 m away from it at triggs on thursday night, and everyone bolted, leaving empty clean 2ft triggs. but there in the water like always, just a matter of someone seeing it

victor's picture
victor's picture
victor Saturday, 19 Nov 2011 at 7:51am

any whitepointer info for gulf waters,if any one knows how to track down andre gorgescu[spelling of surname may be incorrect] long time s.a. shark hunter,fisherman this man can tell you all pointer info,season movements e.t.c. e.t.c. andre caught the white which took terry gibson off seacliff many years ago. i saw this beast while it was sat on a car trailer and it was one large fish. i personally would lose no sleep over having to leave 2ft triggs..........just googled him he's around, a couple of sites,hunting e.t.c