Praise The Lord?

lom's picture
lom started the topic in Friday, 9 Sep 2011 at 2:55am

Now I'm confused- one guy thanks Jesus because his career is over and another thanks God for allowing him to win his heat!
Those fellas above work in mysterious ways-

Hobgood, a fixture on the elite ASP Dream Tour for more than a decade, needed to defeat Wright in their Round 3 bout to remain on the ASP World Title Series for 2011, but was gracious in defeat regarding the tough loss.
"At the end of it, I don't want to be known as the 2001 World Champion," Hobgood said. "I want to be known as a guy that loved Jesus and loved everyone and had fun and that's it. It's not a sad day for me.

"I can't believe it," Alves said. "I'm so tired right now after surfing three heats and happy too. I beat Joel Parkinson and Mick Fanning. Thanks to God for everything he has given me. I'm looking for my best result, maybe I'll find it here."

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 9 Sep 2011 at 4:43am

And according to some comments made on the ASP website, some of Bobby's swear words made little baby Jesus cry.

Peace be with you lom.

rushy's picture
rushy's picture
rushy Friday, 9 Sep 2011 at 5:25am

I don't think it would matter to God who wins or who retires, just the manner in which they do these things. Good to see them both acknowledge their God-given talents. CJ also thanked God when he won the 2001 World Title, so it's nothing new that he's doing.

Greetings @zenagain - hope all is well following what happened over there in March.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 9 Sep 2011 at 6:24am

G'day rushy. Good as gold. Sitting here eating my chocolate eclair with my ever tolerant, piano totin', red hot smokin' Japanese babe. Business is good, life is great and coming off the back of an amazing run of swell. Am I truly blessed?

Peace be with you too man.

rushy's picture
rushy's picture
rushy Friday, 9 Sep 2011 at 9:22am

Great to hear. Just polishing off a couple of home made pizzas and a bourbon & coke with the missus, waiting for the big game to kick off. Yes, we're truely blessed.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Friday, 9 Sep 2011 at 10:23am

Hope that's the AFL rushy?

barley's picture
barley's picture
barley Friday, 9 Sep 2011 at 4:04pm

Interesting subject yet to be covered on swellnet AFAIK? Christianity & Islam cover the same God as far as I know. Buddahism, Hinduism different Gods(respectfully) Huey (God unto the swells). Basically I think it all comes down to faith and belief. If one has enough goodwill and conviction then surely good things will occur. Isn't that also Karma? I was bought up Lutheran. I detest it now because in private school it was an everyday thing...and I mean everyday. Too much of a good thing is too much. I hate it now. I just believe and try to be a good ,kind person and help where ever I can. If I can then I am happy. After all isn't that the point of life? To feel good and happy? I love FRIDAYS (drink)

rushy's picture
rushy's picture
rushy Saturday, 10 Sep 2011 at 12:44am

Just believing in something (no matter much conviction you have) doesn't make it true. If I believe that I can surf better than Mick or Kelly, don't mean it is anywhere near reality (believe me, that definitely ain't true).

Same with faith. Whatever your belief, base it on "something", not just what you want to believe is real or true (or worse, how you feel). Christians base their belief on the Bible, which says if you really want the answers, just ask (seek and you shall find, ask and you shall receive etc). Hey, if you want to know if there's a God, ask Him. He promises to reveal himself to all who seek Him. If you don't get an answer, there's you proof He ain't there. BTW, that's what He says, not what I say.

Even if you don't believe in a higher order, you have still made a statement of faith in your own ablility to know what is real and what isn't. We all believe in something, even if it's only in ourselves.

I've had enough worms out of this can - next please.

rushy's picture
rushy's picture
rushy Saturday, 10 Sep 2011 at 12:46am

@ Craig

No, sorry, it was NRL. Now that Parra managed has to avoid the wooden spoon, I'm relying on the Swans to bring home the big one. Or maybe even the Wobblies, er Wallabys.

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Monday, 12 Sep 2011 at 11:22am

I sought, and I found.

I found that organised religion is a fraud, and a source of great evil. I found that asking God for anything, or subscribing a win or a boon or a tragedy to God involves a fundamental misunderstanding of the supreme being, and is personally insulting to him, and he's gonna get you for your insolence.

And thinking that god is out to get you because you are a sinner is just insulting.

Apart from that, you can go your own way. Which I'm sure you will.

Remember that I told you so.

whaaaat's picture
whaaaat's picture
whaaaat Monday, 12 Sep 2011 at 11:48am

Thank Dog She made me dyslexic....

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Monday, 12 Sep 2011 at 1:51pm

Me too. Stopped me selling my soul to Santa.

giuseppeisonhawksalvatoreo-o-hana-hannah's picture
giuseppeisonhawksalvatoreo-o-hana-hannah's picture
giuseppeisonhaw... Monday, 3 Oct 2011 at 4:49am

JESUS IS YOUR NEIGHBOR, EVERYBODY DO YOUR NEIGHBOR & YOUR WORLD MAY TURN UNLESS OF COURSE YOU MAY HAVE REPELARS ON. UNLESS YOU KNOW OF THE GREATEST STORY OF LOVE LIGHTING A FIRE INSIDE OF YOU WANTING TO PROPEL THRU THE FUTURE SHARING THAT GREATEST MESSAGE OF LOVE THEN UNFORTUNATELY FOR YOU THE REALITY MAYBE A YOUR MOMA'S JOKE. YES, IF YOU DID NOT GET ALONG WITH YOUR MOM, OR MOM'S BEST FRIEND, HOPEFULLY THAT WAS YOUR DAD DOUBLE DOG DO ON YOU. GOD MADE LOVE. tHEY LOVE SMART SURFING, WINNING CHAMPION FINAL HEATS & EXOTIC WT EVENTS, EARNING A SUCCESSFULLY HAPPY CAREER & EVEN YOUR OWN LOVINGLY MISSED SECOND OPINIONS, BETTER BE THE ASS THAN THE ASSHOLES BUT SOMEBODY ELSE ALREADY WON THE FIGHT I'M POINTING UP.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 3 Oct 2011 at 5:28am

Giuseppe, I want whatever you're on.

victor's picture
victor's picture
victor Monday, 3 Oct 2011 at 6:07am

yeh giuseppe,well said,whatever you said?? thermal if your next post is,well a little different,we will know giuseppe caught up with you.i also want some.....

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 23 May 2015 at 4:12pm

Theres a liar on the altar
George cardinal Pell.

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Saturday, 23 May 2015 at 4:52pm
udo wrote:

Theres a liar on the altar
George cardinal Pell.

Pell & Abbott, best mates who share the same poor understanding of the honesty

Sickaz's picture
Sickaz's picture
Sickaz Saturday, 23 May 2015 at 10:08pm

I agree, great form giuseppe, loved the capital's. Highlight for me was the lone lower case "t" at the start of one sentence.

I'm not religious but i would like to ask a question... if there is such a thing as heaven, and I have lead an honest life and tried to follow my common sense set of right and wrong, will I get in even though I haven't worshipped anything?

SurferFuk's picture
SurferFuk's picture
SurferFuk Saturday, 23 May 2015 at 10:21pm

Sickaz, you will get in, just trust Norchock he will tell ya, he loves it.
As long as you don't swear...;)

https://books.google.com.au/books?id=DCvDzt9fsykC&pg=PA29&lpg=PA29&dq=no...

SurferFuk's picture
SurferFuk's picture
SurferFuk Saturday, 23 May 2015 at 10:25pm

Geez Udo you are a classic;)

Quote Ben "Giuseppe, I want whatever you're on."

I wonder what Ben wants....?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 2 Mar 2016 at 8:03pm

Georgie Pell your starting to falter .

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Wednesday, 2 Mar 2016 at 9:17pm

George, you know you're fucked (well, not quite literally) when Bolt's given up the ghost on ya.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/mar/02/andrew-bolt-says-cardinal-g...

Suffer!

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Wednesday, 2 Mar 2016 at 9:31pm

Rot in hell Pell...certain ring to it,nothing worse than a ped lover.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Wednesday, 2 Mar 2016 at 9:39pm

.......so given the history why is the Catholic Church still permitted to run schools? And people actually pay money to put their children into the care of an institution with an international reputation for child abuse.

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Wednesday, 2 Mar 2016 at 9:56pm

When we become enlightened we will all see religious belief as a form of insanity

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Wednesday, 2 Mar 2016 at 10:02pm
floyd wrote:

When we become enlightened we will all see religious belief as a form of insanity

A-fucken-men to that

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Wednesday, 2 Mar 2016 at 10:04pm

Oh fuck here we go...... lol.....

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Wednesday, 2 Mar 2016 at 10:04pm

Those priests are a Bunch of slimy pathetic scum.

happyasS's picture
happyasS's picture
happyasS Wednesday, 2 Mar 2016 at 10:07pm

exactly blindboy. but funny how people think....an acquaintance of mine has been an avid church hater because of the abuse issues and very outspoken, and insistent that his kid would never attend a religious school ever. but recently when his ex wife successfully enrolls his very intelligent kid in an elitist religious school and gets accepted then suddenly its ok now and fine by him because its a 'good school'.

standards are a funny thing, never stops people turning the blind eye when it suits them.

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Wednesday, 2 Mar 2016 at 10:48pm

And to think George was a mentor, a spiritual fucken mentor, for our recent ex-PM. Who'd a thunk it? Who the fuck amongst us voted for the guy? Confess, confess!

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Wednesday, 2 Mar 2016 at 10:49pm

Then repent, repent, and kneel before ZOD!

happyasS's picture
happyasS's picture
happyasS Wednesday, 2 Mar 2016 at 10:55pm
floyd wrote:

to the contrary. when we stop believing in institutions founded upon stupid stories, stupid beliefs, and stupid practices.....then we can say we are no longer stupid anymore.....then the path towards enlightenment begins.

for now, human stupidity appears endless.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 3 Mar 2016 at 9:25am

C'mon Blowin, keep it clean. Happy to let the topic of discussion flow but this ain't a place for schoolboy jokes. 

tonybarber's picture
tonybarber's picture
tonybarber Thursday, 3 Mar 2016 at 10:08am

Gents, let's be truthful here. This issue affects all religions, not just Catholics. The royal commission is doing its job.

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Thursday, 3 Mar 2016 at 10:45am

Darn, I get grumpy when I agree with tones ......

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Thursday, 3 Mar 2016 at 11:19am
thermalben wrote:

C'mon Blowin, keep it clean. Happy to let the topic of discussion flow but this ain't a place for schoolboy jokes. 

Blowie gets on the turps, gets some liquid courage, and lets all the psychological projection pour out. Like a good vomit/beer shit.

Burp.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Thursday, 3 Mar 2016 at 11:26am

oh what a pleasure that has been to watch, I think the germans have a word for that

tonybarber's picture
tonybarber's picture
tonybarber Thursday, 3 Mar 2016 at 11:44am

Its sad that its had to take a royal commission to get some truths. The Commission is a bit smarter than Pell and the other archbishops. Pell had to run. Hollingworth had to resign. More to come, me thinks...

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Thursday, 3 Mar 2016 at 11:47am
sypkan wrote:

oh what a pleasure that has been to watch, I think the germans have a word for that

Der Kardinal ist eine böse Fotze!

tonybarber's picture
tonybarber's picture
tonybarber Thursday, 3 Mar 2016 at 1:03pm

Ahhh, sehr gut mein Herr. Danke, Klaus.

uncle_leroy's picture
uncle_leroy's picture
uncle_leroy Thursday, 3 Mar 2016 at 1:21pm
Sickaz wrote:

I'm not religious but i would like to ask a question... if there is such a thing as heaven, and I have lead an honest life and tried to follow my common sense set of right and wrong, will I get in even though I haven't worshipped anything?

Yeah mate, "heaven" is a place full of creeps, you don't want to go there
Honest surfers end up in a place where every wave that no longer breaks does exist.
You surf all day long on lost reef breaks due to earthquakes, sand bars moving, burleigh in the '70's, long lost point breaks that are all time every day, that rip bowl that you surfed with your mates that last summer before you moved out of home and best of all, when the time comes, all your mates end up in the local pub, as many steak burgers and chips as you can eat, drinking beer all night long and not getting a beer gut. You wake up in the morning to Oz-aerobics, rinse and repeat

sharkman's picture
sharkman's picture
sharkman Thursday, 3 Mar 2016 at 1:26pm

It seems like all the priests are white.
I wonder what place in the White Australia policy , did the church play , creating the "Stolen generation " , creating a system for abuse to indigenous children , which then spawned a culture of child abuse within the Church which became systematic torture and sexual abuse?
Seems like there was and is so much power within the institutions , they are a law unto themselves , with little or no consequences for illegal actions , one law for them and then us!

tonybarber's picture
tonybarber's picture
tonybarber Thursday, 3 Mar 2016 at 5:16pm

sharkman, it would be hoped that the Royal Commission would cover all abuses, regardless. Not sure about your line of thinking but yes, there is Canon Law for the Catholics. Conflict with civil, well thats debatable. Certainly, the fear of God is powerful, as are other human emotions, especially against the young. Lets see if there are no consequences for these illegal actions - doubt it. Many key religious personnel have run, left, quit. This is too big an issue and global at that.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Friday, 4 Mar 2016 at 11:15am

Sharkman.. I'd put this to you.. Child molestation has always been rampant.. And one of the saddest things is, it is mostly dads, uncles, grand dads, older brothers that do the molesting. That's what the stats say... The vast majority of cases go unreported, due to the victim relationship with the molester.. A dear girlfriend of mine was repeatedly molested by her father.. She never took it to the police because part of her soul still loved him.. Thats the tragedy of family molestation. A stranger can be hated with gusto.. But a dad? A grand dad? Needless to say she has lived a life of drug abuse, failed relationships.. ....She also "turned to god" in a massive way... Thankfully she herself has not "caught the disease".. A MASSIVE % of victims due to the mental damage become molesters themselves. So my theory would be, that back over the centuries, a heck of a lot of boys that were molested by family members would often "turn to god" when they entered their late teens with the hope that the "divine spirit" would cleanse their rapidly twisting thoughts that were brought on by an abused childhood... They would become priests... But of course becoming a priest is no cure for a mental perversion.. Hence a massive concentration of paedophiles can be found in so called "sanctuary"....

Mountainman's picture
Mountainman's picture
Mountainman Saturday, 19 Mar 2016 at 2:43pm

It is interesting reading through these threads that mostly people blame mere man or the institution and never mention God who created the very waves we surf. Everyone tends to forget that one day each one of us will have to account to God for our words and actions during our short lives on earth. No good blaming others including George Pell then. Let he that is without sin cast the first stone. This is the reason Christ died on the cross in a brutal crucitfiction brought about by the very institutions many in these threads speak of. It is a path for each to redemption for those whom wish to seek it. Thankfully Jesus Christ was not part of a man ordained instition but remains still as part of the God Head or Trinity. He forgave them instead whist dying on that cross for each of us. Religion of any kind will save no one. The risen Christ will should you simply ask. Nevermind your drugs, sex and drink. Christ wil deal with that with you alone at the time that you repent of that. As said, "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone". Only Christ is without sin in this world and he does not throw stones. No Pope or preacher is without sin. These are mere men like you and I. Christ instead welcomes all with open arms and heals each of us of our eniquities lovingly. No priest can do this. No man can do this. It is between you and Christ alone. We each die in time. That is when your heart which guides what comes from your mouth counts. The same measure you use to judge others wil be used to judge you. This is stated by Jesus Christ himself in the Gospels of the new testament. Time to move away from the blame game and seek the truth to life and life eternal.

inzider's picture
inzider's picture
inzider Saturday, 19 Mar 2016 at 4:22pm

the plane, the plane

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Saturday, 19 Mar 2016 at 4:26pm

.....I blame the Flying Spaghetti Monster....or maybe Allah or should it be Merapu? I have a lot of time for Merapu, minding his own business there on Sumba, so probably not him, but what about Zeuss and Apollo? Not to mention Shiva and all the Hindu gods, they would have to be more popular than Jesus these days, population growth and all that. Hmmm so many gods Mountainman. Are you sure you got the right one?

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Saturday, 19 Mar 2016 at 4:53pm

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Saturday, 19 Mar 2016 at 5:16pm
Mountainman wrote:

It is interesting reading through these threads that mostly people blame mere man or the institution and never mention God who created the very waves we surf. Everyone tends to forget that one day each one of us will have to account to God for our words and actions during our short lives on earth. No good blaming others including George Pell then. Let he that is without sin cast the first stone. This is the reason Christ died on the cross in a brutal crucitfiction brought about by the very institutions many in these threads speak of. It is a path for each to redemption for those whom wish to seek it. Thankfully Jesus Christ was not part of a man ordained instition but remains still as part of the God Head or Trinity. He forgave them instead whist dying on that cross for each of us. Religion of any kind will save no one. The risen Christ will should you simply ask. Nevermind your drugs, sex and drink. Christ wil deal with that with you alone at the time that you repent of that. As said, "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone". Only Christ is without sin in this world and he does not throw stones. No Pope or preacher is without sin. These are mere men like you and I. Christ instead welcomes all with open arms and heals each of us of our eniquities lovingly. No priest can do this. No man can do this. It is between you and Christ alone. We each die in time. That is when your heart which guides what comes from your mouth counts. The same measure you use to judge others wil be used to judge you. This is stated by Jesus Christ himself in the Gospels of the new testament. Time to move away from the blame game and seek the truth to life and life eternal.

Hi Mountainman,
Fair call amen to that, by all means.

IMO everyone has a right to say or feel whatever they want.

I will just say something tho Mountainman,

Ol mate, high ol mighty, GOD who ever ,will never save you one bit, when caught in an avalanche. Trust me MM, it's the luck of the draw;) I knew a few people, who travelled the mountains, always with a bible close to them.

Not now?
RIP

Mountainman's picture
Mountainman's picture
Mountainman Saturday, 19 Mar 2016 at 5:34pm

Read your history books man. Note the Roman Catholic church tried to wipe both the world of both history and the Bible during the period 1,000AD to 1,260AD as the Pope was considered infallible being 5hat only the pope could preach from his version of the bible. All in the History books. The Roman Catholic Church banned anyone readiing the Bible before its first fall in 1260AD. People were whiped to submition of the authority of that man made institution. Aside from all of that there has never in any time been a person other than Christ to be hung and brutalised on the Cross and further by the Church. Never was a person hung out for you in any religion. Also he forgave those that did it. Never did such a person rise after 3 days from a sealed tomb and was witnessed by over 140 people on just that day alone. Never in history did the Romans try to keep this quite by killing those that spoke of this. All in actual history. Yes you may serve other small g gods but none can attain the reality as written in the history books in respect to what happened to Jesus Christ and the result going forward. For this reason we celebrate Easter albeit infiltrated by those whom wish to destroy it stating it is a celebration of the Solstice. Only the truth will remain as has done so now for 2,000 years not to mention the 4,000 year lead up period to this event which is also noted in history. This history is outside of biblical accounts but supports it. That can't be said of anyone else. History does ONLY back the version of the bible and does not back any other so called god or gods. The truth will alway remain no matter what deniel or twists are put to it. The Bible warns of adding and taking away from the Bible of that which is written within. Note the last chapter of Revelations. That whole event in History alone is a solemn promise given by God that we all take to our graves no matter what spin you wish to put on it. Note that the Traditional Church still hides behind the walls of the Vatican and other institutions which was evident in Pell enquiry into peodifilia by a such organisation. They are only one of a few. Knowing the truth about Christ distances you from any of this crap. From my understanding of history over the last 2,000 years is Anglican and Catholic are the same higher up. Christ is Christ and that is not only biblical but is also within the hustory books. Visit your library. The Church is flawed by man and always has been since Abraham and always will be. That is also noted in the history books of the dark ages and prior when Persia and other countries in the Middle East existed. Refer to Iraq and Iran to name two of many. Look around you now to see the uprising of Christian meetings and Sunday worship to see how many have walked from the so called traditional churches. Look around to see the Anti mob whom are out to destroy the same with words in which will be geld to account lest repentance. Look at the Middle East Conflicts and ask why beyond the USA. This all started back with the illigimimate child of Abraham to his Servant Lady and is still continuing in wars to this very present day. To deny the truth is only denying yourself. God is loving graceful and has given us all a choice to come to him as we are. That is why Christ went through what he did. Remember his last words before before he died and subsequent resurrection " Father forgive them as they do not know what they do". The Roman soldier who heard this at Christ's feet converted to Christianity in its true form and not to a church paid he the price with his life by the Pharisees. That is also writen in History and not just the Bible. The choice always remains with you and NO ONE ELSE.