Japanese tsunami

benski's picture
benski started the topic in Saturday, 12 Mar 2011 at 7:06am

Looks pretty heavy over there right now.

Zenagain don't you live and surf in japan? Hope you're safe and ok.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Monday, 4 Apr 2011 at 5:44am

First, I just want to say thankyou to everybody who took an interest in us and the words of encouragement from the swellnet surfing community, in particular benski, spongebob, pepe, rushy, et al. As things return to normal here and this thread draws to a close, I just returned from my daily surf check and just wanted to vent.

If there is ever an argument against nuclear power this is it. For weeks now, bar one time, I've gone without a surf and have just again returned home again from staring at good waves unridden with not a soul to be seen. The local Japanese crew (and us two token gaijins) are refraining from surfing in part out of respect. The ocean not too far from here (less than Byron to Brissie) has taken thousands of lives with hundreds if not thousands of bodies probably never to be recovered. It's very solemn here and very humbling at the same time. So, I kind of regret having that surf a week or so ago, it was disrespectful and selfish. We were fools.

We are babysitting a pet bulldog this weekend while a young couple we know are heading a couple of hours north to look for the husbands parents who are still listed as missing. Where do they start? They are soldiering on stoically and I don't have the courage to talk to them about it. Miracles happen but it doesn't look good. How do you put yourself in their shoes?

But, the selfish thing is that every day I check the weather and dread the northerly winds that seem to be a constant and blow what ever dust and crap that's in the air directly over us. As I mentioned, we are on the periphery of the 80km zone. They actually once showed a prefecture by prefecture reading on the news of millisevert levels and we (Ibaraki) were the highest, but still deemed to be within 'safe' levels. What the fuck does that mean? They now are getting so desperate that all options are on the table- the latest one is constructing a giant frame and wrapping the containment buildings in some sort of sheet to lesson the spread. That idea had come and gone as it would take months and not neccessarily work. Also, there's talk of injecting dye into the water that's sprayed on the reactors to try and trace the source of the leak that's pouring thousands of tons of radioactive water into the pacific. Beautiful.

The kicker is, there is just no information. I scour the news each and every day, watch tv, read all the news from around the world and the news that is translated into English here. They give you nothing but the same old fluff. Not going backwards but not going forwards either. NHK (like the ABC at home) instead of posting radiation information put up cutesy pictures of the Spring Shogun telling you to use a humidifier because of the dry air. Or a picture of mum and toddler wearing a mask because this is the time of the year when the Cherry Blossoms bloom and the Sugi pine (local species of cedar) give off pollen. So wear that mask! It's hayfever time! Unbelievable.

The point I'm trying to make is that no matter what safeguards are in place, super-dooper breakwalls, back-up systems, geologically stable tectonic plates, whatever. Nuclear power will never be 100% safe. I'm fine for now, fit as a Mallee bull, but if I get Thyroid cancer in 20 years time, will the Japanese government attribute causality to the reactor? Will they pay my medical bills?

Some of you might say why don't or didn't I get out? The life I have built myself here has made it very difficult to just cut and run. I have my wife, her elderly parents (one of whom is bedridden) a business etc. But the point is, I shouldn't have to. We have been through a pretty monumental event here and have emerged relatively unscathed, we have power, water, gas, fuel, food. I think a basic human entitlement no matter where you live, is safe air.

From a person who surfed on average 4-5 times a week, not knowing when my next surf will be is very frustrating.

rushy's picture
rushy's picture
rushy Monday, 4 Apr 2011 at 6:15am

Dear Zen,
Got no words of encouragement that could possibly make any difference, other than to say that I feel for your pain, loss, frustration etc.
Stay safe.
Rushy

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 4 Apr 2011 at 6:40am

Heavy.

ABC News 24 seems to have updates on the Fukushima plant.

You can get it online....might have to sit through alot of guff.

All the best for you and your fam.

asharper001's picture
asharper001's picture
asharper001 Monday, 4 Apr 2011 at 6:53am

Hey Zenagain (Big Brother),

There is only one thing I can say in this situation and I know that you know it too, and that is that you are still one of the lucky ones. You still have family here in Australia thinking about you, and that you, the wife and kiddies, can fall back on us at any time. You have friends from all around the world that I believe would say the same. You still surf better than your younger brother (dammit) but still look forward to our next surf together no matter where it is (psyched for Indo later in the year if you can pull it off), and that your most recent surf was still more recent than the surf at Narrowneck when "my arse was handed to me on a small back-hand drainer" as you so aptly put it in an earlier post on this forum subject. Still, I would rather you go six months (or however long it takes) without surf to ensure that the water over there is safe, so I can spend our later years surfing with you in good health as opposed spending crisp off-shore 4ft+ days in an oncology ward with you going through chemo or some other shitty scenario. I know how much you love to surf (as do all of us on this forum I suspect) however sometimes short term pain leads to long term gain.

So chin-up little buckaroo. Although things might look dark and gloomy now, you still have a lot to be thankful for.

Also, since you appear to be getting a few of the basic necessities back, looking forward to another drunken talk until 1.00am (aussie time).

Hashley

Thanks also to all those wishing their best for my brother and family.

benski's picture
benski's picture
benski Monday, 4 Apr 2011 at 7:04am

Zen,

Thanks for another post mate. I for one have really appreciated what you've written. You've put a personal touch to what has been difficult to comprehend. A lot of the information we've got has been numbers and facts and figures and it's hard to understand life and how it goes on through all that. It's been very enlightening and humbling to read your posts. To give an eg, when you'd write about your wife playing the piano in the next room while at other times aftershocks hitting as you wrote and people stoically waiting in line for supplies, it invoked stark images of what happened and continues to happen. The horror of what life can be and the simple and beautiful ways people deal with it.

I was stoked you got a surf in - I'm away from the ocean at the moment having lived the past 18 months across the road from the beach so I am dying for a surf too - but I understand the point you make about respect for those gone and the awesome and terrible power of the ocean that took them. To me it seems almost a pilgrimage to check the surf and choose not to surf out of respect. But the inevitable question arises, at what point do you go out again? When is it ok for a community to move on in ceratin ways. The same question that lingers around every tragedy I guess. To me, there can be no answer.

Over the years I've flipped between support for nuclear power and opposition to it. I still don't have a firm stance, however, your statement "I think a basic human entitlement no matter where you live, is safe air." is possibly the most powerful thing I have read on the topic.

All the best for the forthcoming months mate and here's to your next barrel whenever that may be!

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Monday, 4 Apr 2011 at 7:11am

Hash,

Shouldn't you be working?

We're cool man, just frustrating to be staring at the local reefie, offshore, head high and empty.

Don't worry about us, be back home in a few months for a visit and we'll nip over the border for a few waves. Is Cudgen still a secret spot? (joking!)

And as much as it pains me to say, you're not a bad surfer. Should see some of the flappers here.

So yep, 6'6'' in the hallway waiting to be waxed and keen to head off to the tropics.

I'm good now, just having a little hissy.

Dan.

ps just caught you there benski- cheers mate, you're a solid bloke. thankyou.

benski's picture
benski's picture
benski Monday, 4 Apr 2011 at 7:18am

No worries mate. Cheers.

Cudgen though eh? Fuck. Surfed that stretch a fair few times on my own or with a couple of others a few years back...til they built that bloody holiday town and well.... Still not happy.

asharper001's picture
asharper001's picture
asharper001 Monday, 4 Apr 2011 at 8:00am

Hey Zen (Dan),

Working??? For the missus during the day and for pay during the night (no not a street-walker, you know what I mean).

Will be good to catch up with you when you get back. Yep, Cudgen is still secret if going by scales (Snapper 300+ not secret, Duranbah 150+ not secret, Cudgen 30+ I guess you could say semi-secret).

Benski, agree whole heartedly. I too remember when it was all bushland and uncrowded. Still pissed off that a developer got their hands on a prime piece of crown land. On the positive side, at least some of us still got to surf those area's pre-crowd, and if you are lucky still get the odd day where you remember how it used to be.

benski's picture
benski's picture
benski Monday, 4 Apr 2011 at 4:46pm

Yeah man, a mate of mine emailed me with stories from home a couple of weeks back, reckons he had it on his own for three mornings in a row! Just like the old days. I was stoked just thinkin about it!

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Tuesday, 22 Nov 2016 at 9:33am

Zen, another one close by, hope you're OK?

Readings regarding a Tsunami don't look too bad, about 40cm?

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 22 Nov 2016 at 10:36am

Wow, this old thread, cheers Craig.

All good here, was a pretty big shake but we've had worse- ha ha!

The cameras are showing the coast on the news and the biggest tsunami appeared to be about a 2ft windswell.

Someone the other day mentioned the sensitivity of animals in regards to these things- our number two cat who is normally very mellow let out a loud hiss (or fart, I dunno I was half asleep) which is unusual for her and about a second later the quake came and about 2 seconds later the quake alarm went off on our phones. I reckon they should get a team of cats to warn of earthquakes.

As I write, Tsunami warning coming over the town loudspeakers has been cancelled.

So, all good, thanks for thinking of us.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Tuesday, 22 Nov 2016 at 10:58am

Ah that's good to hear!

I was talking to some friends this morning and they were in New Zealand around Nelson during their earthquake.

And it took half an hour for the tsunami warning to be sent out because they had to have some council meeting to initiate it.

Not the best system and by then the tsunami probably would of hit.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 22 Nov 2016 at 11:20am

Nope, our Tsunami warning is still in place- no surfing today.

Love the news back home, 'residents being urged to flee'. Not quite, but attention grabbing anyway.

Been lots of little aftershocks this morning. Hope I'm not pre-empting anything. The 2011 one started that way. We got a big quake in the morning then in the arvo the really big one came. Hope that's not the case today. Gosh, I never want to go through that again.

If it is, you read it here, first:)

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Tuesday, 22 Nov 2016 at 11:26am

As pointed out by a Kiwi girl in the office space I share, the 2011 Christchurch earthquake occured on 22 Feb, just before the devastating Japanese quake on the 11th of March.

Similar circumstances this time around, but slightly closer..

Stresses being released around the "Ring of Fire".

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Tuesday, 22 Nov 2016 at 11:44am

There's no question they're related. It's just a question of how much stress needs to be released to find that equilibrium.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 22 Nov 2016 at 3:44pm

Damn pain in the butt that cant post links now, but i just read a news story on SBS that says there is no link between the two quakes.

Here is the headline

"A 6.9 earthquake and the following tsunamis did not trigger a 5.6 earthquake near New Zealand's north island, an earthquake expert says."

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Tuesday, 22 Nov 2016 at 3:48pm

You can still post links Indo.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 22 Nov 2016 at 7:41pm

Sometimes i can sometimes not, sometimes i just get the fill the number/letter thing, other times i get the full page with prove I'm not a robot and normally i have to do it twice and fill out the letter/number thing twice, sometimes that's enough sometimes not.

Then other times it doesn't even bother it just doesn't let me post and doesn't even ask for a code or the robot thing.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 22 Nov 2016 at 7:47pm

For anybody that's interested (I'm hopeless at taking screen shots) this is todays quake compared to the 2011 one. The dots represent seismic sensors that are scattered around Japan in their hundreds. The white dots mean a shake is undectable and then they go up in order of intensity. Blue dots are gentle shakes, dark blue a little more intense, yellow, starting to get pretty severe, orange, things start falling off shelves and buildings sway, roads crack etc, red is off tap, major damage and purple is apocolyptic. Today wasn't so bad, bit overblown really but the 2011 one was crazy. It was an increadible experience to go through.

I reckon the next big one will be in Alaska or Northern California. Just a hunch.

PS I live right at the point of the bottom left axis of the cross in the top pic, kinda where the coast curves out to the sea. I'm about 30km from the border of Fukushima.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Tuesday, 22 Nov 2016 at 9:07pm

glad to hear there wasn't too much damage from this one Zen.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 22 Nov 2016 at 9:10pm

Ive got a feeling the mid to North Mentawai's area is going to get a big one in the next year, and HT's and a few other waves are going to be seriously changed or destroyed.

asharper001's picture
asharper001's picture
asharper001 Tuesday, 22 Nov 2016 at 10:20pm

Hey Brother Zen, mum and dad told me they got an email from you saying all was sweet. Not worried about you anyway (not even for 2011 quake). The worst you ever had in your life by that time was a paper-cut. Shoulder/Ribs however is more recent so maybe not riding your luck as much anymore. Checked the surf report for your region this morning and showed about 2 ft and light north/north-west winds (cross-shore lumpy I was guessing) so didn't think you would bother going for a wave anyway.

You're not wrong about the coverage over here. Just over the top. Flicking through the channels this morning, they were really trying to make a story of it on Channel 9 Today show (extended coverage). They were phone interviewing some lady over your way and she was busy still getting her kids ready for school (and said so multiple times during phone interview). So much for heading for the hills.....

Sky News wasn't much better with Helen Daly. Japan Met downgraded to 6.9 pretty early on (of which channel 7 thankfully did honestly report)but Helen Daly upped the ante over an hour later by saying the quake was upgraded from 7.3 to 7.4.

I could never be a journalist/news presenter. I have too much integrity.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 22 Nov 2016 at 11:39pm

There were a few waves around bro, couple out at lunchtime when I did the drive-by.

Yeah bit of a beat up, but between, Trump and schoolies, wasn't much happening on the news front.

Hako o hakonde ni-biki no inu's picture
Hako o hakonde ni-biki no inu's picture
Hako o hakonde ... Wednesday, 23 Nov 2016 at 5:04am

Nice move Indo, get that rumour going, create a bit of fear and book that ticket.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 24 Nov 2016 at 8:18am

How's this tidal bore created by the small tsunami wave.. http://www.news8000.com/news/japan-tsunami-triggers-rare-tidal-bore/42582358