Anyone watch some good films lately?

toby's picture
toby started the topic in Wednesday, 23 Feb 2011 at 11:27am

I didn't yet. But here's a thread I enjoyed and a few other realsurfers did too. I'm going to watch one tonight to kick this thread off.

dondellion's picture
dondellion's picture
dondellion Wednesday, 23 Feb 2011 at 11:36am

Finally watched DEER HUNTER today... fucking incredible, 10/10

Can't decide which war movie I like the best now, Full Metal Jacket or this...

misterpink's picture
misterpink's picture
misterpink Wednesday, 23 Feb 2011 at 1:33pm

In bed with Madonna.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 23 Feb 2011 at 11:39pm

Just watched 'Conviction' inflight (terrible Qantas audio/visual). Incredible story but a little 'meh' as a film.

coops's picture
coops's picture
coops Thursday, 24 Feb 2011 at 1:43am

The last thread was awesome.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Saturday, 26 Feb 2011 at 9:55pm

Saw 'Inside Job' on the flight home yesty. Charles Ferguson does a brilliant job interviewing some of the key players responsible for the 2008 Global Financial Crisis - it's amazing how well he managed to corner them on camera. Kinda like an eloquent Michael Moore, without the need to constantly put himself on screen. Beautiful cinematography too.

misterpink's picture
misterpink's picture
misterpink Saturday, 26 Feb 2011 at 11:55pm

Two-lane Blacktop on tv last night.
Dennis 'i won't last forever' Wlison's best role ever :-)

totally pointless, aphalosceptic excercise in drag racing and nothingness.

Bit like The Rollcall thread.

toby's picture
toby's picture
toby Sunday, 27 Feb 2011 at 2:20am

I watched the movie about the fookin' prawns again - District 9. Just as good as the first time, i.e. excellent. The last 10min with the walker is so gratifying.

toby's picture
toby's picture
toby Saturday, 5 Mar 2011 at 1:17pm

Ah, for fuck's sake (note the apostrophe, olds), Antichrist with Dafoe and Gainsbourg is on right now (for me) but I missed the start. Searching Foxtel online and it doesn't come up again. Goddamn. I think I'm going to switch channels and hope it repeats next month.

While looking for it I noticed Coops' perennial favourite Let the Right One In is on on Monday/Tuesday. Taping it, haven't seen it yet.

alva's picture
alva's picture
alva Sunday, 6 Mar 2011 at 1:04am

hall pass is fickin hilarious

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Sunday, 6 Mar 2011 at 5:26am

Yeah I seen a great one on sbs the other week can't remember what it was called or what it was about but it was all time.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 28 Nov 2011 at 4:26am

Been struggling to find a good movie of late, and chose 'The Ghostwriter' last night (Ewan McGregor, Pierce Brosnan). A somewhat predictable story line with a strange ending that didn't appear to be very well thought out. Stunning set location in NY though.

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Monday, 28 Nov 2011 at 8:43pm

The Hunter with Willem Dafoe was very good, the scenes of the Tasmanian wilderness were stunning. Surfwise check out Second Thoughts, it has great surf footage.

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Tuesday, 29 Nov 2011 at 12:14am

Someone gave me a copy of a movie called Shortbus a while ago but it wouldnt play in my DVD player. I recently stuck it in the computer and it played. Holy shit that was some crazy shit!!

amb's picture
amb's picture
amb Monday, 12 Dec 2011 at 3:49am

Into the wild

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 12 Dec 2011 at 4:41am

Yeah, that was a great movie hey AMB.

angrybrigade's picture
angrybrigade's picture
angrybrigade Monday, 12 Dec 2011 at 6:41am

at the flicks of late: THE GUARD...Feckin' hilarious! On DVD: Well, A SERBIAN FILM makes for interesting lazy-days viewing with the significant other!

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 12 Dec 2011 at 6:59am

Snow Town. Had to switch it off about half way through (I'm not big on that kinda stuff). Although it turns out I actually made it through the heaviest part of the film without knowing. I just couldn't go on any further.

Not a movie for the faint of heart.

For what it's worth, I really liked the filming style and production.

angrybrigade's picture
angrybrigade's picture
angrybrigade Wednesday, 22 Feb 2012 at 2:01pm

Being a fan of the great Aussie film renaissance of the 70s (& 70s cinema in general), I was stoked to watch THE LAST OF THE KNUCKLEMEN again recently on Fuxtel. A definite antidote to the RED DOG 'rose-coloured' view of mining (then & now)...much more Lang Hancock-ian than today’s Gina/Twiggy/Piggy rom-com's!