Surfing in yanuca fiji

josh-s_2's picture
josh-s_2 started the topic in Thursday, 25 Nov 2010 at 6:58am

This school holidays my mum decide that were going to fiji, YEEW! were staying in the shangri-la on the yanuca island. So i was just wondering if there is any surf there and if so what board should i take (dumpster diver or conventional shortboard), do I need booties whats the wave like and do i need a boat to get out to the break.

your response will be much apreciated

josh

josh-s_2's picture
josh-s_2's picture
josh-s_2 Thursday, 25 Nov 2010 at 9:43am

I here that there is a left hander close called frigates, how woulod i get to it, are there daily boat trips there or something?

josh-s_2's picture
josh-s_2's picture
josh-s_2 Friday, 26 Nov 2010 at 8:03am

are there boats for surfers there that take you out for a day

thelostclimber's picture
thelostclimber's picture
thelostclimber Friday, 26 Nov 2010 at 11:34am
freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Saturday, 27 Nov 2010 at 3:28am

Doesn't really answer the lads question lost climber.

Contact Shanri-La direct Josh and see if there are boat rides out to Frigates.

I imagine with the new Fiji Surf Decree there would be.

Frigates is a heavy reef wave, especially at any size over 4ft.

Your going Dec/Jan which is outside the traditional swell season but you could still score an out of season swell.

Check the charts before you go and make a call on which board to take. I'd take a shorty and semi-gun.

stuz's picture
stuz's picture
stuz Saturday, 27 Nov 2010 at 11:05am

Be prepared to fork out money to go surfing. Frigates is great fun if you get a good day. Best of luck

thelostclimber's picture
thelostclimber's picture
thelostclimber Monday, 29 Nov 2010 at 11:23pm

I dont have all the answers, but at least it confirms there is a wave there, which was the first part of the question.
So Josh at least you know to take a board with you.

I am sure by asking the hotel staff you will find someone with a boat who'll take you for money.

josh-s_2's picture
josh-s_2's picture
josh-s_2 Wednesday, 1 Dec 2010 at 6:15am

Im also going to the Sheraton in the Westin Denarau Island and is there any surf there. I am not so keen in surfing big heavy and dangerouse waves. are there any breaks around that i don't need to get a boat to get to.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Wednesday, 1 Dec 2010 at 6:22am

No. But from there, your a hop skip and short boat ride out to Cloudbreak/Namotu/Wilkes etc etc.
Namotu is soft and gentle.

Cloudbreak is the swell magnet and probably in your league it it's small.

Mate just came back and said a boat ride out to Cloudbreak was running about 80-100AUD from the Sheraton.

main's picture
main's picture
main Wednesday, 1 Dec 2010 at 6:25am

if you take a board the guys at the sheraton should be able to organise you a boat.

I worked there for a while and used to get a boat to Wilkes. apparently you can surf anywhere around there now the new government has overturned all the rules with regards to resort operators having exclusivity to waves. Accross the channel from Wilkes is Nomutu lefts and theres another right next to that - from memory its swimming pools ?! the next island on that barrier reef is tavarua which has a few breaks on it and cloudbreak across the channel. They used to be private but you can surf them all now...

josh-s_2's picture
josh-s_2's picture
josh-s_2 Wednesday, 1 Dec 2010 at 6:26am

mate im from bondi, don't get me mixed up with a pro big wave charger, in my league that stuff is huge

josh-s_2's picture
josh-s_2's picture
josh-s_2 Wednesday, 1 Dec 2010 at 6:29am

Are there any breaks i can walk to from yanuca or denarua

josh-s_2's picture
josh-s_2's picture
josh-s_2 Wednesday, 1 Dec 2010 at 6:30am

It's quit pricey to catch the boats and if you get injured your far from land

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Wednesday, 1 Dec 2010 at 6:34am

No.

Paddle-out breaks at Sigatoka, Natadola, Cuvu.

And a few dodgy semi-closeouts on the Coral Coast inc Hideaway.

Fiji is mostly a boat deal.

niggly's picture
niggly's picture
niggly Thursday, 2 Dec 2010 at 1:16am

hey josh,
make sure you check frigates i have been a few times in jan over the past few years, for three week periods and scored some epic days, i'm not a big charger either, but we usually get a few flat days, a few days bout 4 feet and then a few bigger days 6 - 8. The locals are wonderful people.
watch the low tide though.
have fun

josh-s_2's picture
josh-s_2's picture
josh-s_2 Saturday, 8 Jan 2011 at 12:55am

Im in fiji at the moment staying at the shangri la in on yanuca island and i really want to surf frigates passage but i cant find a surf chatter thet can pick up from my hottel and take me there.
any info on how to get there (cheep and safe) would be great.
thanks

i-u-brawn's picture
i-u-brawn's picture
i-u-brawn Saturday, 8 Jan 2011 at 5:34am

any info on how to get there (cheep and safe) would be great.
thanks

By: "josh-s"

man up and paddle kid

josh-s_2's picture
josh-s_2's picture
josh-s_2 Sunday, 9 Jan 2011 at 8:04pm

It's a 45 minute boat ride, u can't paddle to it.

benski's picture
benski's picture
benski Sunday, 9 Jan 2011 at 8:56pm

There were some inshore reefs with reasonable waves off the Waidroka Peninsula (Serua Rights and a couple of others) but the waidroka bay resort had exclusive access to them a few years ago. You could try calling em to see if you could jump on one of their boats but you'd have to get there, probably an hour by car. It was a pretty ordinary place when I spent a few days there but they do have boats going out there. They also go to Frigates but they charged a pretty penny, $50 US a person I think.

longinus's picture
longinus's picture
longinus Monday, 10 Jan 2011 at 1:45am

Kadavu Island to the south sounds much more in line with what you're looking for, an actual resort right next to a decent wave basically (King Kong in this case). Either that or south coast Vitu for cheap boats to Frigates. That horrible surfing Atlas site has it all listed if you want to check. The Denarau boat run takes it toll on the hip pocket. Last time I did it I had to stop half way out for an aqua bog. All those yams and things they serve at the nightly 'traditional dinner'went through me like a plug of cleansing fibre.

more's picture
more's picture
more Sunday, 23 Jan 2011 at 8:40pm

best bet is to try Frigates but sounds like you arent up for too much of the heavy reef waves so I'd be goin on the high tides only and small swells, it can pack a bit of punch , rest of Fiji is boat access for waves, all reef except for a few spots and hour or so drive from Denarau ( which is nice but full touro stuff and no waves nearby ), you can arrange to be picked up and taken out to Wilkes, Namotu and tavarua but it costs as the others have said, I paid $60 aud 3 yrs ago, this is a half day, door to door deal, its ok and your best chance of waves, but all waves are reef and all can be serious waves with a bit of size and lower tides....great place and people....

barstardos1's picture
barstardos1's picture
barstardos1 Monday, 24 Jan 2011 at 3:43am

I stayed at Shangri La in Sept last year with the Family. Timed perfectly with THAT cloudbreak swell that lasted for 1bout 10 days. I tried almost every surfing option on the Coral Coast and the only thing worth doing boat to Cloudbreak with Ian's fiji surf co. They pick up at the hotels and drop off. Paid about F$150 but totally worth it. Waidroka and Frigates are too far from Shangri La. Hideaway needs absence of trade windswell (rare). Sigatoga is a mission to get to and super heavy when getting SSW groundswell. See comments below Fiji Surf Decree in surfpolitik