Hawaii..!

drizabone's picture
drizabone started the topic in Wednesday, 3 Nov 2010 at 8:05am

Firstly. I was saddened to hear of the passing of the great man, Andy Irons.
He lived the way he wanted...Epic... We have no choice in the death.

My wife and are planning a trip to Oahu at the end of the month.
Any clues on somewhere to stay? prefer a house/ B&B with a simple vibe..

I am keen to surf... who has surfed here? and what have been the experiences?!
Any tips will be appreciated..
Courtney

mozzie's picture
mozzie's picture
mozzie Thursday, 4 Nov 2010 at 12:01am

Hey drizabone... I'm not sure exactly what you could expect in Oahu, but surfing atlas will be able to give you a bit more of an insight.
Cheers...
http://www.surfingatlas.com/division/206

wako's picture
wako's picture
wako Wednesday, 10 Nov 2010 at 12:13pm

Courtney, not sure if you've been to Hawaii but Oahu is far from the tropical paradise you imagine it to be. Population of 2-3 million people. Worthwhile making the extra effort and heading Kauai or Molokai. You'll fly into Waikiki. Not much to offer here except shopping centres and highrise buildings. Maybe pick-up a new board which would be good value at the moment with the strong aussie dollar . There is a nice hostel on Waikiki called the Polynesian beach hostel. This place has connections with a great little place on the north shore which has bungalows located between waimea bay and pipeline. They will pick you up from waikiki and drop you off on the north shore. Surf at this time of year can vary from 3ft to 30ft. When it's pumping, all breaks on the north shore will be knarly. When it's small, Sunset it the best place to go. Cheers

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Saturday, 13 Nov 2010 at 5:36am

I just got back from a (work) trip to Hawaii, with a few waves thrown in.
I second the suggestion that you get away from Oahu if you can. While the North Shore is a lot more 'country' and the wave are epic, in general I think Waikiki is directly comparable with Gold Coast.

The other islands (Maui, Kauai) are both great to visit, and I think more reflective of 'Hawaii' than Oahu perhaps. I always find the vibe in Hawaii refreshing, and have never had to deal with hassle in or out of the water. Mebbe that's because I'll generally try and surf somewhere a little less crowded?

Either way though, I think you'll have a great time, and it's definitely the right season for waves! best of luck.