Kelly and Jordy: 2010 Title race

mowgli's picture
mowgli started the topic in Tuesday, 19 Oct 2010 at 12:29pm

who do you want to win? Personally, I used to think jordy was overrated, but admittedly this was before I saw a lot more footage of him, especially in comps. The guy goes for ridiculously futuristic stuff (backside superman reverse in porto!?) and normally pulls it off. However, similar things could be said about slater. I noticed that, people go "oooh, ahhh, only slater could make a drop like that to get a 10 point ride like that"...but I think such things aren't inherently unique to him, it's just that in the middle of the heat he has the confidence to back himself and attempt such things. What was it that indo bloke in the wheelchair in 'Framelines' said, "most people never try..if you never try, you will never make it...just try, and you will make it"...or something.

long story short, I hope Jordy Smith wins. I'm sick of seeing Slater win. And I must say I think that there is a bit of bias in his favor from the judges because he is 'King Kelly' and this "aura" he has adds a sparkle to his waves that wouldn't be there for anybody else (if u get my meaning) if they performed the exact same ride...

thoughts?

non-local's picture
non-local's picture
non-local Tuesday, 19 Oct 2010 at 8:34pm

check out the points and you will see that the race is already over. There are a lot of people sick of seeing Kelly win, but unless someone better comes along it won't happen, he is if anything under-scored. mowgli you need to look at the ratings points and you will see that his lead is unbeatable at this stage of the tour, he has the ability to lift when he needs to and that is exactly what he does, nobody else on tour this year has been able to do that, so take your hat off to the guy and give him the cred he deserves because when he does retire it is going to be a long time before we see a talent like him on tour, if ever.

brendo's picture
brendo's picture
brendo Thursday, 21 Oct 2010 at 1:13am

kelly wins because he is better than jordy, has a very handy lead in the points and he surfs pipeline better than anyone on the tour. Pretty hard for Jordy to win it from here. He's a bit of a wanker (maybe, don't really know him, might be the coolest guy ever) but if you look past that, he's one of the greatest surfers of all time.

my-6-4's picture
my-6-4's picture
my-6-4 Tuesday, 26 Oct 2010 at 7:40am

I dont think kelly is underscored, not many guys on tour are as powerful through their turns and he has variety as he rarely repeats a move on a wave. I hope he wins it as I like seeing records falling and being set. Anyone has to appreciate the acheivement (titles and his age) if he gets it (or when, non-local is right as his lead is that good he would have to sit out the next two events to lose). I just hope Jordy has to wait until parko, bede and owen get their crowns.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Wednesday, 27 Oct 2010 at 12:44am

I wonder if anybody would call Kelly a wanker if he was an Aussie?

Kudos to him I say for his prodigious talent, I doubt we will ever see another 10 time world champion in our lifetime in surfing or any other sport for that matter.

Also, whether his slick media persona is a product of the Quiksilver school of elocution or not, he always comes across as gratious in victory and humble in defeat. I think he is a truly worthy champion.

I saw him free surfing 5ft onshore Burleigh years ago (when he still had hair) and it still sticks in my mind. He is a freak of nature.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 29 Oct 2010 at 4:06am

Hope he gets his 10th, then he would have to call it quits wouldn't he???...he is a freak and we are all lucky to have been around in the era of slater, hard to see anyone in surfing ever achieving what he has, no ones perfect, but if he was an Aussie then we would claim him to be, (perfect that is).