Drug Aware Pro Margaret River webcast

thermalben's picture
thermalben started the topic in Wednesday, 2 Apr 2014 at 9:53am

Just about to kick off in a few minutes. Looks like our model forecast has nailed it: I'm seeing good 4-6ft sets on our Margs surfcam with E/SE winds.

https://www.swellnet.com/reports/australia/western-australia/margaret-ri...

Here's a couple of grabs from the surfcam (actually seen bigger bombs than this but wasn't quick enough to capture 'em!).

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 3 Apr 2014 at 1:13pm
matt123 wrote:

if I remember correctly they had 5ft Margies in the Friday update, Not sticking up for them tho.

Actually, CW's Margs forecast issued Friday (for Wednesday 2nd April) was "Decreasing S/SW swell, 2-4ft, largest sets on S exposures".

ACB__'s picture
ACB__'s picture
ACB__ Thursday, 3 Apr 2014 at 1:25pm

Anyone know if blokes are running today?

mick-free's picture
mick-free's picture
mick-free Thursday, 3 Apr 2014 at 1:32pm

Female commissioner just confirmed a big no mens today

ACB__'s picture
ACB__'s picture
ACB__ Thursday, 3 Apr 2014 at 1:34pm

ahuh, I cant hear commentary cause I'm at work streaming on the sneaky.

carpetman's picture
carpetman's picture
carpetman Thursday, 3 Apr 2014 at 1:36pm
thermalben wrote:

I still think the Box is an average competition wave. Unreal freesurf viewing (and an excellent decision for the ASP webcast to have one camera trained on Parko over there!) but I reckon The Box would lose its appeal after a couple of heats. 

Maybe so but it also has the smack-down-factor which makes for interesting viewing.

ACB__'s picture
ACB__'s picture
ACB__ Thursday, 3 Apr 2014 at 2:03pm

Based on that theory though Ben of boring repetitive slabs, what would you classify Teahupo'o as?

mick-free's picture
mick-free's picture
mick-free Thursday, 3 Apr 2014 at 2:13pm

acb you're lucky you cant hear pottz and the turpel non stop talk with their classic lines like getting the feet in the wax, finishing on her feet, taking a leaf out of her book.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 3 Apr 2014 at 2:26pm

...and every single wave ends on "the bricks".

Just call 'em rocks, Joe. That's what they are.

ACB__'s picture
ACB__'s picture
ACB__ Thursday, 3 Apr 2014 at 2:53pm

Not sure if commentary or a competition of who can make up the worst new sayings for shit that already exists.

a360's picture
a360's picture
a360 Thursday, 3 Apr 2014 at 5:22pm

absolutely worst commentary I have heard. If you had no picture some of the terms are incoherent to me I would have no idea what just happened.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 3 Apr 2014 at 7:42pm
ACB__ wrote:

Based on that theory though Ben of boring repetitive slabs, what would you classify Teahupo'o as?

Teahupo'o is a much different wave (although I can't speak from personal experience, only what I've seen on the screen).

From a viewers standpoint, Teahupo'o looks a lot better than the Box as it's typically surfed bigger - Chopes is primo at 6-8-10ft whilst the Box doesn't seem to hold quite the same amount of size.

Teahupo'o is also a longer wave with a couple of different areas to take off (all of which dictate how the wave will develop down the line), which keeps things very interesting - after the barrel, the Box seems to go straight into deep water. However, at Chopes surfer will usually get a turn or two (or three) in which makes for a lot more variety.

I suppose The Box just looks smaller and shorter to me. And with a lack of good filming vantage points due to its offshore position (one long-lens camera on land, and one closer camera in the channel - just like they did for the IBA event a few years ago) - I reckon it'd become a little stale after a few heats.

Just my 2c anyway.

welcomeguest's picture
welcomeguest's picture
welcomeguest Thursday, 3 Apr 2014 at 9:05pm

Teahupo'o - is it not a lefthander...mostly ?

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Thursday, 3 Apr 2014 at 11:19pm
ACB__ wrote:

ahuh, I cant hear commentary cause I'm at work streaming on the sneaky.

Is that you Stu,,,,? (not Stunet)
Get back too ya Lawyers stuff and looking after the dog.

Nah its Bob...!
Get back to building and concentrate on hitting the hammer, properly.

ACB__'s picture
ACB__'s picture
ACB__ Friday, 4 Apr 2014 at 9:34am

Who knows the schedule for today? Are they gonna finish off the girls considering its like 3-4ft today and 5-6ft for the w/e?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 4 Apr 2014 at 10:02am

Dunno.. waiting for the call. Looks about the same as yesterday - nice and clean but an inconsistent 3-4ft.

https://www.swellnet.com/surfcams/margaret-river

mick-free's picture
mick-free's picture
mick-free Friday, 4 Apr 2014 at 10:17am

Coastalwatch forecast still calling for 9-15 knot northerlies on Saturday. screen grab it 18:22

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 4 Apr 2014 at 10:17am

Off for the day due to inconsistency (interesting quote from Kieran: "Right now it looks pretty fun. And we may at the end of the waiting period be wishing for these conditions again"). 

But the right call I reckon. Yesterday was quite frustrating to watch at times. 

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 4 Apr 2014 at 10:34am
mick-free wrote:

Coastalwatch forecast still calling for 9-15 knot northerlies on Saturday. screen grab it 18:22

Interesting to also hear Pete Mel describe the upcoming forecast as the CW graphics were on the screen (showing N'ly winds for Saturday) yet Pete said that we were looking at "an increase in winds, coming out of that southerly direction" (discussion starts around the 18 min mark in the video below).

So.. is Pete getting his forecast information from somewhere else?

mick-free's picture
mick-free's picture
mick-free Friday, 4 Apr 2014 at 10:43am

yep got that, How was the set at the box when Pete was talking about Kelly. 3 waves a framing

Not sure where official forecast is getting its official wind from but checked seabreeze again and they have increased their forecasted Southerlies for Saturday arvo.

I reckon man on man there's enough waves but not three man, but they dont want to send out Kelly in that, having said great day to be on caves road chasing be pumping up at 3 bears, ;efties though

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 4 Apr 2014 at 10:50am

Yeah agreed. Personally I think that rather than having the Box as one possible venue, they should have a small wave spot up their sleeve (many previous 'QS events at Margs have suffered from small waves). For example, the reefs south of Gracetown (ie Lefthanders) would be unreal on days like yesterday and today and would be a great backup option - of which they could use backup infrastructure for North Point.

WesleyPipes420's picture
WesleyPipes420's picture
WesleyPipes420 Friday, 4 Apr 2014 at 11:27am

@thermalben Why are CW swell forecasts always so overcooked?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 4 Apr 2014 at 11:32am

Dunno WP, you'll have to ask them.

ACB__'s picture
ACB__'s picture
ACB__ Friday, 4 Apr 2014 at 1:29pm

Just out of curiosity, why dont they let locals and others free surf at times like this. Nobody's out there.. they normally broadcast the early sessions.. why not when its on hold?

Is it "closed" or are people just not interested in going out there.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 4 Apr 2014 at 1:44pm

Can't imagine that anyone's barred from surfing. I reckon most locals would have writen off Mainbreak during this period due to it being difficult to get access/carparking etc. 

I saw the same thing at Bells.. hardly anyone surfing on laydays. 

However they ain't gonna webcast laydays - webcasting requires too many people to make it happen and this all costs more $$ (webcast crew would be locked down for x number days of production days and x number of laydays over the waiting period).

mick-free's picture
mick-free's picture
mick-free Saturday, 5 Apr 2014 at 10:07am

Boom we're on...!! Official forecast back in line with the wind models (finally) so cross onshore Southerly.
Mens round 3 in halfa

Stupid's picture
Stupid's picture
Stupid Saturday, 5 Apr 2014 at 3:17pm

Not on topic as such, but it would be great to have Chappy Jennings as a guest commentator on the ASP tour.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Sunday, 6 Apr 2014 at 9:51am

Just checking in on the forecast - our automated model has nailed the last few days again (3ft yesterday building to 5ft in the a'noon). Today, the surf seems to be in the 4-6ft range and our model has 5ft (the threshold between 4-6ft, 5ft and 5-6ft is very close). We also got the wind direction spot on although at a lesser strength than what eventuated (this is a common trait, which we're looking into).

MSW again majorly undercalling the surf (4-7ft faces, first image below) while Surfline are still slightly overcalling at 11-13ft faces (although not quite as much as previous days, second image below).

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Sunday, 6 Apr 2014 at 9:55am

Actually, our model got the wind forecast pretty close. Cape Leeuwin - which normally sees wind strength a smidge stronger than in the Margs region - has had S/SW winds under 10kts from the SW thru' S/SW for the last two hours, as has Cape Naturaliste for since midnight (although Cape Nat is often a smidge lighter than the Margs region).

mick-free's picture
mick-free's picture
mick-free Monday, 7 Apr 2014 at 1:07pm

Layday today - Gee it looks like they are relying on the W swell from ex tropical cyclone Ivanhoe to finish event. At best 3-4 foot finals day at Margarets bit of anti-climax if ever there were any highlights I can't remember now. Actually I like the way the girls genuinely congratulate each other when they lose is a nice touch.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Monday, 7 Apr 2014 at 3:42pm

Yeah was gonna go out to Rotto on Saturday, looking at Willy weather said NE winds around 11-1pm
I think SN called SW winds all day, which was spot on. Seabreeze also.
My good mate 20 years experience here said flag it bro, it won't go NE at all today lets go fishing instead.
Good call SE in the morning then moderate SW by lunch and got stronger, long way to go in a 18ft boat.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 8 Apr 2014 at 9:27am

The ASP need to change some of their media terminology. Today's press release has the subject heading: "Drug Aware Margaret River Pro on STANDBY".

Ordinarily this means we'd be waiting for an updated call in a few hours (i.e. waiting for the tide to turn, the wind to swing or a new swell to arrive).

However the event is actually off for the day. You've gotta get into the guts of the press release to read: "A lay day has been called and event organizers will reconvene at 6:30 a.m. local time (AWST) on Wednesday, April 9 to reassess conditions."

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 9 Apr 2014 at 8:54am

Looks like the Naturaliste buoy is picking up a faint signal of W/NW swell from ex-TV Ivanhoe. Not much size in it though, just under a metre.

Our model has 0.5m at 11.8 seconds at 6am this morning (out of the W/NW), building to 0.7m @12.1 seconds by noon, then 1m @ 12 seconds by 6pm. It has a little more size tomorrow (1.6m) but with a slowly dropping swell period (11 seconds easing to 10 seconds).

Will be interesting to see if it produces anything at Main Break - looks a little quiet on the surfcam right now: https://www.swellnet.com/surfcams/margaret-river

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 9 Apr 2014 at 1:30pm

Nuthin' really showing on the surfcam, except for a bunch of whitecaps from the 20kt N/NE breeze. Can't see them running today. Tomorrow is probably their best bet.

mick-free's picture
mick-free's picture
mick-free Wednesday, 9 Apr 2014 at 1:46pm

15 heats to run...... that's a full day.

WA is going to be pumping for Easter though once the pros leave the locals will be stoked. Back to back swells.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 9 Apr 2014 at 2:27pm

Will be interesting to see how big tomorrow comes in. Interestingly, MSW are forecasting 4-6ft which is almost the same size forecast they had for Day 1 (which came in easily double overhead). So unless tomorrow also comes in at double overhead, it shows that there's a lot of inconsistency in their forecast algorithm.

Our forecast model has 3ft tomorrow which I think is a more plausible figure (had 2ft at dawn this morning which seems about bang on with what I observed on the surfcam).

mick-free's picture
mick-free's picture
mick-free Wednesday, 9 Apr 2014 at 3:42pm

Could it be that this Westerly component is throwing the models out - its not even registering in the above chart. Seems the other forecasts have picked up the Westerly swell and are forecasting westerly swell building at lunch today and then peaking tonight and finally fading away completely by tomorrow lunch. Seabreeze is saying 5.5 feet at 11 seconds (gathering thats also wave face) and windguru has the 2.2m at 11 seconds. Both are rudimentry with sloppy wind swell etc. but are okay for the average joe.

The Commissioner was on about the West swell this morning forecast..
Official forecast "tomorrow a stronger midperiod swell pulses up Thursday morning"

Be great to put up the live buoy readings

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 9 Apr 2014 at 3:45pm

Westerly swell is in our forecasts above Mick, peaking tomorrow 6am at 1.6m @ 11s, same as Seabreeze forecasts.

But it's under the stronger SW groundswell to 1.8m @ 13.2s

mick-free's picture
mick-free's picture
mick-free Wednesday, 9 Apr 2014 at 4:09pm

mmmm why wouldn't it be under the secondary and tertiary swell then?

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 9 Apr 2014 at 4:13pm

It is Mick, in the second column (secondary swell), haha.

And 00z has just upgraded the size to 2m @ 11s now and put it in the primary swell column for 6am tomorrow morning. I'm only expecting an inconsistent 3ft to occasionally 4ft from the SW and W/NW tomorrow.

mick-free's picture
mick-free's picture
mick-free Wednesday, 9 Apr 2014 at 5:05pm

haha I see it got frazzeled by the first NW 0.3m and didn't bother to look down.

Well they have to run it and finish it tomorrow. Someones got to drive the

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 9 Apr 2014 at 5:16pm

.... Mick! What do they have to drive! I gotta know!

mick-free's picture
mick-free's picture
mick-free Wednesday, 9 Apr 2014 at 5:44pm

haha nope I cant even remember a customer just chewed my ear off for 20mins...

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 9 Apr 2014 at 6:15pm

Still looks really small on the Margs surfcam, 2ft maybe 2-3ft if you're super lucky (pic below is the biggest set I saw in almost 10 mins). Winds have backed off though.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 9 Apr 2014 at 6:18pm

And the 'official' forecast is 3-5ft for tomorrow morning. Will be interesting to see what happens.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 10 Apr 2014 at 8:09am

Couple of peaks in the gloomy pre-dawn light. Conditions are nice with offshore winds, size looks about 3ft+. It's not very big but they've gotta run today.

https://www.swellnet.com/surfcams/margaret-river

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 10 Apr 2014 at 8:39am

'Tis a long wait for the sets, but there's a few more convincingly in the 4ft range now which is nice.

mick-free's picture
mick-free's picture
mick-free Thursday, 10 Apr 2014 at 8:57am

Ben, I remember - it was driving all the gear across the Nullabor.....Bells starts next week so someones got to drive the desk and gear over to vicco.

Sunday arvo be a write off. Done and dusted today...its contestable. Maybe the Box for the morning high tide

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 10 Apr 2014 at 9:00am

Wow. ASP Press release just came through (before the 'Dawn Patrol' has even aired on the webcast) and they're calling "Four-to-six foot (1.5 - 2 metre) surf at Main Break", and that the event will kick off at 7:15am.

That's the same size that they called on Day 1. Doesn't look anywhere near that on the surfcam so far though! Will be interesting to see how it looks once they commence competition.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 10 Apr 2014 at 9:05am

Pete Mel calling "head high range". Kieran says there are "definitely some fun ones". Looks 3-4ft on the first few waves broadcast.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 10 Apr 2014 at 10:16am

Bit bigger than I expected, looks like some 5ft bombs in the mix.