Drug Aware Pro Margaret River webcast

thermalben's picture
thermalben started the topic in Wednesday, 2 Apr 2014 at 9:53am

Just about to kick off in a few minutes. Looks like our model forecast has nailed it: I'm seeing good 4-6ft sets on our Margs surfcam with E/SE winds.

https://www.swellnet.com/reports/australia/western-australia/margaret-ri...

Here's a couple of grabs from the surfcam (actually seen bigger bombs than this but wasn't quick enough to capture 'em!).

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 2 Apr 2014 at 9:57am

Bloody hell - how's these bombs! That's a GOOD 6ft+.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 2 Apr 2014 at 10:08am

Great to see.

I'm guessing they'll surf Thursday, Friday, possibly Saturday after a late start and then Sunday.

Will be tricky picking whether to surf Monday or Tuesday with more size Monday, but better winds Tuesday..

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 2 Apr 2014 at 10:28am

Interesting to read the 'official' forecast - this was taken from the ASP website this morning (linked off the homepage). 1-3ft with sideshore winds?

ACB__'s picture
ACB__'s picture
ACB__ Wednesday, 2 Apr 2014 at 10:33am

BOOM WE ARE LIVE!!!

Conditions are red hot!

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Wednesday, 2 Apr 2014 at 10:37am

Look... I realize that the smaller we call the size of a wave, the bigger our cocks are.... I've always understood that..... But the non surfing community who try to get a grasp of our sport just shake their heads...... And Ben, you and i both get a bit irate at BOM with their coastal warnings for the general public.... But if us surfers were in charge of this, how many novice rock fisherman would die with you and me saying that the waves are 4 foot today? "Cool", says the rock fisherman...... "That's tiny...... 4 foot...."...... Hours later, a wave with an 8 foot face swamps him and his kid.......
We are a funny mob, us surfers.....

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Wednesday, 2 Apr 2014 at 10:40am

Just switched on and will be ineteresting to see how the commentary addresses the move made by Kelly.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 2 Apr 2014 at 10:43am

Didn't say it was 4ft, Sheepdog.

I said that "I'm seeing good 4-6ft sets on our Margs surfcam". Then a few minutes later, I uploaded anothersurfcam grab and mentioned "That's a GOOD 6ft+".

For what it's worth, I actually watched our webcam for 10mins+ until these waves came through - it was tiny prior to then. Very typical of long range Southern Ocean groundswell - very inconsistent at times.

As for "how big is that wave".. well, that's another discussion which we've had many times before.

But in order to alleviate confusion, if you mouseover our Margs forecast for this morning, it says "2x overhead" (or, double overhead). That's about 6ft in 'surfers feet'. Which is what the surf is right about now.

ACB__'s picture
ACB__'s picture
ACB__ Wednesday, 2 Apr 2014 at 10:43am

@Doggy.

Fkn right we're a weird bunch... Its different break to break http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawaiian_scale

I'd Call today 6ft going by the webcast. remember also how bloody far out the wave is.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 2 Apr 2014 at 10:44am

BTW, our forecasting system also produces surf size predictions in "face feet" too (of which today would probably be in the 10-12ft range). We just haven't got around to making that functionality available on the website just yet.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 2 Apr 2014 at 10:45am

Jeez, there were waves galore before the start of the heat and now hardly a set!

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 2 Apr 2014 at 10:45am

Ah, always happens, bring on an add and you're bound to miss some action and a set.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Wednesday, 2 Apr 2014 at 10:50am

Didn't say you called it 4 foot, ben.... Was just painting a hypothetical about "surf size"in general.... Possibly worth a forum on it's own.....

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Wednesday, 2 Apr 2014 at 10:50am

Or when you're surfing and a set comes just as you start to have a piss;)

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 2 Apr 2014 at 10:53am

And.. how are the other major surfing websites forecasting Margaret River today?

Keeping in mind that Surfline and Magic Seaweed both forecast 'face feet' - so, their figures should be approx double of ours - this is what their forecast are showing for this morning (taken from their iPhone Apps):

Magic Seaweed

Surfline

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Wednesday, 2 Apr 2014 at 11:01am

Well that's right, Ben.... So how does a non surfer make any sense of this?. Name another sport that has this much confusion about the main facet of the sport.........

mick-free's picture
mick-free's picture
mick-free Wednesday, 2 Apr 2014 at 11:12am

Wow surfline massive overcall even if you half it....
Did I hear correctly the ad was Coastalwatch the official forecaster for the 2014 ASP World Tour?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 2 Apr 2014 at 11:13am

I believe they are for the Australian leg. Can't imagine they're doing the OS events though.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 2 Apr 2014 at 11:16am
Sheepdog wrote:

Well that's right, Ben.... So how does a non surfer make any sense of this?. Name another sport that has this much confusion about the main facet of the sport.........

Agreed.. that's partly what makes surfing what it is.

But as for the reliability of the various surf forecasting websites - my advice to anyone is that they choose one source and stick with it, rather than jumping between different sites looking for the 'most favourable' forecast. By using one source, you'll become accustomed to its specific trends and characteristics.

mick-free's picture
mick-free's picture
mick-free Wednesday, 2 Apr 2014 at 11:35am

Has Jordy got bigger?

There's some shit coming out of those commentators trying to fill the lulls

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 2 Apr 2014 at 12:40pm

Jeez the waves look bloody good!

mick-free's picture
mick-free's picture
mick-free Wednesday, 2 Apr 2014 at 1:08pm

I'm 20mins behind watching webcast - but have the commentators addressed the big elephant in the room - Kelly's stickerless board??

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 2 Apr 2014 at 1:16pm

Yeah they're not skirting the issue. Mentioned it this morning in the 'dawn patrol' segment too. 

What we really need though is for Kelly to jump into the commentators booth and do an interview. He's unlikely to win this heat (and therefore won't be up for a post-heat interview) so it'll be in his own time. Wonder when that'll happen?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 2 Apr 2014 at 1:17pm

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 2 Apr 2014 at 1:26pm

Classic Yadin! Speaking to Pete Mel post-heat:

"You beat Kelly Slater. Must feel pretty good".

"Well the guy doesn't have a sponsor. So I felt a little bad".

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 2 Apr 2014 at 1:37pm

Haha, and then the interview with Kelly was great, obviously still really raw for Kelly and showed.

ACB__'s picture
ACB__'s picture
ACB__ Wednesday, 2 Apr 2014 at 3:19pm

Surfs turned crap. Wrap it up for today, I wanna see Mr Wright on some clean faces.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 2 Apr 2014 at 3:32pm

Interestingly winds are still offshore in the Yalls region, and having gone light to moderate N'ly for a period well south of Margs, it's now somewhat variable (N'ly tending NW, then SW and now SE in the last few hours, all under 10kts). So, probably just a local sea breeze in the Margs region.

mick-free's picture
mick-free's picture
mick-free Wednesday, 2 Apr 2014 at 3:57pm

took a while to catch up. Pretty emotional for Kelly. Be great to have the inside story. Guess that will be good details for a book one day!

Best day of the contest period ACB they will milk it right through to the ladies

mitchvg's picture
mitchvg's picture
mitchvg Wednesday, 2 Apr 2014 at 4:42pm

and as soon as JJF does 1 good manoeuvre, the drivel about hawaiian's being the best because of their backyard begins.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 2 Apr 2014 at 5:10pm

The women are in the water now.. we're halfway through the first heat and the scoring system is buggered again (at least give or six waves have been ridden, yet the scores aren't showing). Argh!

memlasurf's picture
memlasurf's picture
memlasurf Wednesday, 2 Apr 2014 at 5:23pm

I am transfixed by that desk. Do you think they flew it there from the gold coast like a hover craft? Looks like it came the set of THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO with those jet propulsion units at each end. Come to think of it so do the commentators. Maybe Zosea could get the old puppets and use SIRI as a voice over to save money on this part of it? Couldn't resist when I saw poor Pete Mel with a blank look on his face.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Wednesday, 2 Apr 2014 at 5:43pm

No mem, it's inflatable! Never any shortage of hot air. Joe can blow it up easily, I think he uses circular breathing.

memlasurf's picture
memlasurf's picture
memlasurf Wednesday, 2 Apr 2014 at 6:31pm

Yes that's it! The rubber ducky of desks with Joe hooked up to it to maintain its tautness . Maybe they could hook up an outboard and take it out to the surf and commentate from there. He could talk in an iron lung so out in the surf wouldn't be a problem.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 3 Apr 2014 at 10:12am

Stoked.. our model forecast nailed it again. The ASP are reporting 3-4ft surf at Margs this morning (and it looks that way on the webcast) - just a little overhead on the sets, with moderate offshore winds.

https://www.swellnet.com/reports/australia/western-australia/margaret-ri...

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 3 Apr 2014 at 10:21am

And.. let's again see how the other major surf forecast sites are calling today (remembering both MSW and Surfline measure 'face feet').

Magic Seaweed

Surfline

So again - at 3-5ft MSW have significantly undercalled the surf, whilst Surfline at 9-10ft have overcalled the surf.

ACB__'s picture
ACB__'s picture
ACB__ Thursday, 3 Apr 2014 at 10:38am

looks like there is no waves at all at the moment!!

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Thursday, 3 Apr 2014 at 10:38am
thermalben wrote:

Interesting to read the 'official' forecast - this was taken from the ASP website this morning (linked off the homepage). 1-3ft with sideshore winds?

You must have gotten the "old" official forecast Ben, as CW updated it yesterday morning to call 4-6ft for yesterday. Must have been a close range storm off Margs Tuesday night that made the forecast change so significantly!!!! ;)

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 3 Apr 2014 at 10:46am

So, they updated the forecast for Wednesday, on Wednesday?

That's a little convenient. Kinda hard to get it wrong too.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 3 Apr 2014 at 10:51am

Also, what model are they getting 15kt N'ly winds on Saturday night from, no model I've checked even comes close to forecasting this..

ACB__'s picture
ACB__'s picture
ACB__ Thursday, 3 Apr 2014 at 11:09am

lets go to the box.. this is so inconstant.

carpetman's picture
carpetman's picture
carpetman Thursday, 3 Apr 2014 at 11:21am
ACB__ wrote:

lets go to the box.. this is so inconstant.

Exactly. Guys are getting pitted over at the box while the girls are just sitting around. Get to the Box!

thebeard's picture
thebeard's picture
thebeard Thursday, 3 Apr 2014 at 11:25am

http://www.aspworldtour.com/posts/36478/official-assessment-margaret-riv...
"We're looking for power, we're looking for unique lines and of course innovation where opportunity presents itself." Rich Porta

Isn't this a given when you're having a comp and how is this relevant to the Official Assessment Margaret River?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 3 Apr 2014 at 11:27am

I still think the Box is an average competition wave. Unreal freesurf viewing (and an excellent decision for the ASP webcast to have one camera trained on Parko over there!) but I reckon The Box would lose its appeal after a couple of heats. 

mick-free's picture
mick-free's picture
mick-free Thursday, 3 Apr 2014 at 11:30am

My feed is shithouse this morning jumping in and out. its got Kelly and hedge's heads on the screen with a live feed showing girls surfing. But display is saying Broadcast is off. Next call following womens round two. Got the fastest broadband too.

Given they measure in wave face MSW should be in line with Surfline.
haha frickin classic - I saw the official forecast too for yesterday and it was forecasted for small in morning

Only Southerlys on seabreeze too for the weekend Craig. No northerlies there. Though there are northerlies forecasted for Perth.

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/graphs/wa2.asp

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 3 Apr 2014 at 11:37am

Yeah it's buffering heavily here too Mick. I'm very surprised - YouTube have a really strong CDN network so this shouldn't be happening. 

matt123's picture
matt123's picture
matt123 Thursday, 3 Apr 2014 at 11:52am

The forecast the had up on the ASP site that you posted Ben was done last Wednesday they didn't update until yesterday. They were updating every few days on the CW main page just not updating the ASP page

ACB__'s picture
ACB__'s picture
ACB__ Thursday, 3 Apr 2014 at 11:55am
mick-free wrote:

My feed is shithouse this morning jumping in and out. its got Kelly and hedge's heads on the screen with a live feed showing girls surfing. But display is saying Broadcast is off. Next call following womens round two. Got the fastest broadband too.

Same it's really shitting me I wanna know the individual scores not just the total...

My feed isn't too bad though.

mick-free's picture
mick-free's picture
mick-free Thursday, 3 Apr 2014 at 12:18pm

waves are getting better. Was going to put Fuel on but its not even on Fuel TV....

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 3 Apr 2014 at 12:21pm
matt123 wrote:

The forecast the had up on the ASP site that you posted Ben was done last Wednesday they didn't update until yesterday. They were updating every few days on the CW main page just not updating the ASP page

If we were the 'official forecasters' and the 'official forecast' at the top of the ASP homepage was so wrong and so out of date, I would have been demanding the ASP update the content (the screengrab I showed was taken on Wednesday morning around 7am). Most of the ASP audience is non-Australian so they would have assumed that this was the latest information.

In any case, forecasting four consecutive days generally under 3ft in Margs in April is a big risk (especially at long range).

Basic forecasting principles would - in the absence of any other data - maintain at least a climatalogical average for long range (which is probably somewhere in the 4ft range at this time of year).

And for reference - Craig's written forecast for Margaret River - 9 days in advance (March 24th) and two days before CW's 1-3ft easing to 1-2ft call was:

"A stronger polar frontal progression right on the edge of our southern swell window, south-southwest of the state (pictured right) will kick up a moderate to large S/SW groundswell for next Tuesday and Wednesday that at this stage looks to reach 5-6ft in the South West, 1-2ft in Perth and 3-4ft up at Gero under favourable offshore E/SE winds."

https://www.swellnet.com/forums/swellnet-forecast-notes/101636

matt123's picture
matt123's picture
matt123 Thursday, 3 Apr 2014 at 12:32pm
thermalben wrote:
matt123 wrote:

If we were the 'official forecasters' and the 'official forecast' at the top of the ASP homepage was so wrong and so out of date, I would have been demanding the ASP update the content (the screengrab I showed was taken on Wednesday morning around 7am). Most of the ASP audience is non-Australian so they would have assumed that this was the latest information.

In any case, forecasting four consecutive days generally under 3ft in Margs in April is a big risk (especially at long range).

Basic forecasting principles would - in the absence of any other data - maintain at least a climatalogical average for long range (which is probably somewhere in the 4ft range at this time of year).

And for reference - Craig's written forecast for Margaret River - 9 days in advance (March 24th) and two days before CW's 1-3ft easing to 1-2ft call was:

"A stronger polar frontal progression right on the edge of our southern swell window, south-southwest of the state (pictured right) will kick up a moderate to large S/SW groundswell for next Tuesday and Wednesday that at this stage looks to reach 5-6ft in the South West, 1-2ft in Perth and 3-4ft up at Gero under favourable offshore E/SE winds."

https://www.swellnet.com/forums/swellnet-forecast-notes/101636

I really couldn't care less, all I was saying is that the forecast on the ASP site was a week old and they were updating on the CW site.. and if I remember correctly they had 5ft Margies in the Friday update, Not sticking up for them tho.