Advanced concaves on 1970s equipment

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno started the topic in Tuesday, 18 May 2021 at 11:50am

OK, in the 90's concave article Udo asked me if I could supply pics of one of our HB's and the concave work on it. The board is a FAST board for it's time, and the design seems to work.

Now I'm quite addled when it comes to posting pics - can anyone advise how to do so, and without incurring a cloud account at some image hosting site preferably.

I will then try to post them. My use of light isn't the best, but you will get the idea.

Pops's picture
Pops's picture
Pops Tuesday, 18 May 2021 at 12:01pm

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 18 May 2021 at 12:14pm

Either use imgur.com - very simple process to upload then right click the image, save image address, and paste that into comment box - or just email to me:

[email protected]

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Sunday, 13 Jun 2021 at 1:43pm

Hey Stu, did you get the pics I sent through to you for this thread?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 15 Jun 2021 at 8:42am

VJ, yep. Gonna drop them into Imgur and post here shortly.

Keep an eye out.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 15 Jun 2021 at 4:51pm

Photos of VJ's 90s-era HB and its subtle concaves:

Looking like a moderate single in double conc into vee..?

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Tuesday, 15 Jun 2021 at 7:10pm

looks like a drifter model?...like boards with proper vee thru tail area...

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Tuesday, 15 Jun 2021 at 7:53pm

Thanks so much Stu, that's what I wanted to convey. For Udo, you can see the concaves, and I won't break down exactly where it transitions but basically it's a tiny bit of nose vee - going into a big single concave, going into double concaves - then the panel vee begins and the concaves continue running through the vee. Then it neatly fades out.

I like this type of bottom contour in pretty much any board I ride - more speed/sense of urgency than a simple panel vee, nicer meatier bottom turns as of the vee in the tail compared to a concave setup without.

Simba, this board has been dated about 1974 so before the Drifta. It's an excellent design.

And the point of the thread is to show concaves were very much refined well before the 1990s.

thanks once more Stu.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 15 Jun 2021 at 8:17pm

Yes thanks the concaves are deeper than i thought
No wonder Flyer Fitz used to Fly.
winged Flyer launched Dec 1972 Hawaii - the whole wing thing only came with concaves a double edged development -Concave to get you up the face wings to hold the high line

http://doublewingflyer.blogspot.com/

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Tuesday, 15 Jun 2021 at 8:21pm

Yep, this board at Winki - can get a lot closer to kicking out at the valley than most. Something also should be said about how pinched the rails are going into the flyers - I think Fitz said to hold in high on a wave when it was critical - as you said. They do work.

It's a down the line speed machine, turning is of lesser priority, although it does so as big carves.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 15 Jun 2021 at 8:36pm