Suggestions for an Alaia build

Ethan Maloy's picture
Ethan Maloy started the topic in Thursday, 10 Sep 2020 at 8:32am

A friend of mine bought a 5'2 (158 cm), 15" (38 cm) wide, 5/8" (15.9 mm) alaia made from oak. The board is WAY to heavy and very unfinished. I wanted to get some opinions on the best ways to finish and lighten the board so that he doesn't turn it into a skateboard like he mentioned.

I am thinking about adding a small nose rocker and a mildly aggresive concave into a double concave V shape tail to the board all in an attempt to take away weight but I don't know what the best way to remove that much wood would be since I do not own a planer.

What would you suggest for removing that much material and would those design elements ruin a board like that?

Thanks for your time!

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 10 Sep 2020 at 10:41am

Got any pics?

blowfly's picture
blowfly's picture
blowfly Thursday, 10 Sep 2020 at 10:51am

Where are you Ethan? I have a contact that is right into that stuff and might be able to help.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 10 Sep 2020 at 11:45am

Pop it on the scales ..curious to know its weight.

tiger's picture
tiger's picture
tiger Thursday, 10 Sep 2020 at 1:48pm

Probably the easiest would be a disc sander with some 40 grit to take material away where you want, then go through the grades to tidy it up.

Ethan Maloy's picture
Ethan Maloy's picture
Ethan Maloy Friday, 11 Sep 2020 at 7:28am

Very new to the forum, do not know how to post a picture yet.

Ethan Maloy's picture
Ethan Maloy's picture
Ethan Maloy Friday, 11 Sep 2020 at 7:34am

I am coastal NC in the states

Ethan Maloy's picture
Ethan Maloy's picture
Ethan Maloy Friday, 11 Sep 2020 at 7:35am

I don't have the board with me as its a friends but doing some rough math would put it around 18 pounds I believe