Reading forecasts

Tjcarroll's picture
Tjcarroll started the topic in Sunday, 8 Apr 2018 at 10:19pm

Hi guys,

I’m new to the game here and was wondering if someone could explain a few things for me when reading the surf forecast on the app.

I can see the wind direction forecast but how do see what the swell direction is?

And could someone please explain what the green arrows and yellow arrows mean and why the two different colours?

Appreciate your help here guys :)

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 9 Apr 2018 at 10:31am

Swell direction is the green (and sometimes yellow) arrows at the top of the graph. Wind speed/direction is under the surf height graph.

The yellow graphs are a very valuable tool for disseminating the different swell directions that may be in the water at one time.

Check this article - it goes into a little more detail:

https://www.swellnet.com/news/swellnet-analysis/2013/10/21/understanding...

Also, this one is useful:

https://www.swellnet.com/news/swellnet-analysis/2013/10/25/south-facing-...

Tjcarroll's picture
Tjcarroll's picture
Tjcarroll Tuesday, 10 Apr 2018 at 8:35am

Absolute legend thanks so much mate.

redmondo's picture
redmondo's picture
redmondo Wednesday, 24 Oct 2018 at 9:43pm

I reckon we could start naming East Coast Lows. They are often more productive in the swell department and more damaging than cyclones. June 2016 should have a name. Swell windows could have names too An acknowledged window will provide more waves. Depending on the name of course.

redmondo's picture
redmondo's picture
redmondo Friday, 26 Oct 2018 at 5:09pm

The UK started naming storms a while back I found out. Premium swellnet members could submit their names and away we go, naming rights. Maybe name and a numbers, coords where they first formed. Each storm is unique and could probably write its own signature. J low is a possible starting name.

redmondo's picture
redmondo's picture
redmondo Sunday, 28 Oct 2018 at 3:45pm

I will start naming storms on my own then starting with David Low.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 28 Oct 2018 at 4:11pm

Cyclone Uplift - a Slow moving depression

happyasS's picture
happyasS's picture
happyasS Sunday, 28 Oct 2018 at 8:28pm

I had always associated Uplift with hot air.