ECS BOARDS

haggis's picture
haggis started the topic in Monday, 1 May 2017 at 10:46am

Hi anyone bought one of these boards from this company. Looking to buy a 6'6 drifter to use as a mini mal! and if any good a 'bulldog'

Im always sceptical about boards with low price points, but you never know?

http://ecsboards-australia.com.au/

Thanks Hag

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 1 May 2017 at 3:08pm

Have seen them and quality looks real good...dont know how they compare to other offshore made boards..Firewire etc. The price is right .

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 1 May 2017 at 3:27pm

God they are cheap on special $407 bucks. http://ecsboards-australia.com.au/Boom-Box-surfboard-ecs-boards-2.html

Not really a good thing though selling boards that cheap, people often complain about brands like Firewire because they are made offshore, but really it's the board makers that are selling boards super cheap that make it hard for others especially smaller shapers to make money.

Even at the full price of $577.00 thats like late 90,s prices.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 1 May 2017 at 3:46pm

Firewire in that style is about $950.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 1 May 2017 at 4:55pm

That's what i mean $950.00 isn't undercutting other board builders no matter where there made, but when a label/shaper sells boards for ridiculously cheap prices it's kind of a race to the bottom as others try to compete and no one makes money so some go broke.

That's unless you have a good name for yourself like say Jim Banks and you can just say screw that I'm selling them for $1,500 to $2,000.

haggis's picture
haggis's picture
haggis Monday, 1 May 2017 at 4:59pm

Found an earlier topic on this thread and this is what this a bloke said:

"I bought a fish from ECS around 2 years ago for a small wave funboard, Was 5'7" by memory. Construction quality was good but I found the shape of the board mediocre at best, rails were very boxy and with volume in all the wrong places it didn't provide much performance and wasn"t my cup of tea, each to there own I guess.
Prob more suited to beginner/low level intermediate.
Could be an option if your not after something to throw around to much and just as a cruiser but personally I wouldn't purchase again."

morg's picture
morg's picture
morg Monday, 1 May 2017 at 10:01pm

I've had a few boards from esc and they are good value. One is a 9'4" mal. I've had two 9'4"s. The first one had a slight twist along the rocker, and they happily swapped it over for another one. They go well, and the glass job is good. If you like stiff performance fins you will need to upgrade them. You could argue that they aren't as good as the performance board you get from your local shaper, but they are very close and a lot cheaper.

haggis's picture
haggis's picture
haggis Tuesday, 2 May 2017 at 7:25pm

Thanks Morg and others,

I ordered the 6'6 Drifter V-flex. I'll tell you how it goes. It looks like the shape has been based on the Takayama Scorpion. They look amazing, but out of my price bracket at the mo.

Thanks Hag

haggis's picture
haggis's picture
haggis Sunday, 28 May 2017 at 11:31am

Took the ECS 6'6 drifter out in one foot + fattish clean surf today. Normally i come off the back on my 6'0 magic door rusty - only 30 approx litres. With 47 litres underneath me, got some of the longest waves I have had in a very long time. Didn't need to pump to stay on the wave once. For thirty years I have only surfed 6'2 fishes and 6'1 max shortboards. To up my foam from 30 or so litres to 47 litres was the best thing I've done in years. It is really odd sitting on top of the water, rather than in it and duckdiving is not as successful - in one foot+ not an issue though. The drifter is a really great board. The v flex version is really light and tough. It flies across sections and just takes off on anything. I would really recommend getting this board - 607 bucks delivery - cheaper in PU (i don't work for them and am not affiliated in any way with the company). The drifter is based on a Donald Takayama design - the Scorpion (they start at 6'8). They cost 1500 bucks or so I believe and they look like a work of art - very well made and would be brilliant. You can get them in a surftech design for cheaper - which would be very similar to what I have, except they dont make a 6'6. The Greedy beaver looks very similar but about a grand. If I have any advice to older blokes (i'm 44) is dont be afraid to get some more foam underneath you. I came out of the water smiling.

Hag

Posted the same comment on seabreeze forum

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 28 May 2017 at 11:52am

The Greedy Beaver !!!

haggis's picture
haggis's picture
haggis Tuesday, 12 Nov 2019 at 3:06pm

Still got the drifter 6'6 . Still in excellent condition. No compression dings in the bamboo top. Great board.

spuddyjack's picture
spuddyjack's picture
spuddyjack Tuesday, 12 Nov 2019 at 5:59pm

@Haggis,
What fin set-up are you using currently using on the drifter?

adam.lavis's picture
adam.lavis's picture
adam.lavis Sunday, 1 Dec 2019 at 5:27pm

What weight are you in kgs was looking myself at same board I’m 104kg was wondering if it would float me ok

adam.lavis's picture
adam.lavis's picture
adam.lavis Sunday, 1 Dec 2019 at 5:28pm

What weight are you in kgs was looking myself at same board I’m 104kg was wondering if it would float me ok

haggis's picture
haggis's picture
haggis Tuesday, 16 Feb 2021 at 8:57pm

Hi mate. Better late than never. Quad. The board is now 4 years old. Still use it all the time. Need to get a new one

haggis's picture
haggis's picture
haggis Tuesday, 16 Feb 2021 at 8:59pm

I’m 80 kg