Egg

thebeard's picture
thebeard started the topic in Sunday, 26 Jul 2015 at 10:58am

Why is it you don't see more egg shape boards around given the retro mania of singl pins currently raging along the various coasts of Australia? Is it a shitty shape, hard to handle, poor design? I Like the look and shape of them but have actually never ridden one. As I'm in the market for a nice mide size craft that offers a bit of versatility (one board quiver kinda thing) I was wondering if an egg could be the way forward or would it more in the range of a takayama scorpion / mct sumo range (love a good pin tail!) keep in mind I ride logs (yes with leash and am always very mindful of people around me, that is I don't like other people around me hahahaha) and enjoy single find very much.

Any info welcome, appreciate it!

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 27 Jul 2015 at 7:25am

I picked up a Sardine by JR the other day - is this the kind of thing you mean?

Only surfed it twice so far but it feels good in slow fatter surf - picks up waves really easily but turns much more like my regular shortboards (really squirty when coming out of a driving cutback). However I was surfing a sucky 'lil backhand bank yesterday and it was difficult at times - from my end it seems there's a little too much foam through the nose for small hollow waves.

But as a versatile board this one seems to be reasonably good choice. Wouldn't mind getting it into some bigger waves to see how it goes.

linez's picture
linez's picture
linez Monday, 27 Jul 2015 at 8:07am

What dims Ben?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 27 Jul 2015 at 9:31am

6'0 x 21" x 2 3/4. A little more volume that I need but in small gutless surf I'd rather have too much than not enough.

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Monday, 27 Jul 2015 at 11:19am

Come on ben, you really have the 6'4" don't you. after all those beers and all!

thebeard's picture
thebeard's picture
thebeard Monday, 27 Jul 2015 at 12:25pm

Cheers Ben! Yep, that very much looks like an egg ;) Didn't know JR had one, looks like lots of fun and I'm very curious how it would hold in overhead + . For anything under 3 ft I rid a log, but it's those nice "slopy" 4ft+ point breaks that would need some other sliding craft then a 9.2 simply because it's a b*tch to get it out! Came across this http://www.southcoastsurfboards.com/#!south-coast-egg/c1692 any thoughts?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 27 Jul 2015 at 12:35pm
floyd wrote:

Come on ben, you really have the 6'4" don't you. after all those beers and all!

Ha! Actually, having lost a lot of weight earlier in the year I've put a few kilos back on after moving (haven't been to the gym in a few months). But I'm getting back into it this week. I think I'm currently around 87-88kg, aiming for 85kg again.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 27 Jul 2015 at 12:38pm

So far, it seems pretty fast in smaller waves so I'm looking forward to surfing it in something bigger. It's got a really nice rail line too that bites pretty well when you sink it. The board has a quad setup too which I'll probably switch to if it gets bigger.

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Monday, 27 Jul 2015 at 2:21pm

@ben, this would have been a good article for BB but i wonder whether gyms are good for people wanting to loose weight. If they were they would do themselves out of business. I've read/heard time and time again 80% of weight loss is diet related.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 27 Jul 2015 at 2:40pm

You're right, it is the main factor (although, having a good gym routine helps too, and it's boosted my strength). The not-going-to-the-gym part always seems to coincide with an increase in beer drinking.

Anyway, back to the Egg...

markxxx's picture
markxxx's picture
markxxx Tuesday, 28 Jul 2015 at 9:38pm

Hey thebeard, I've got a Southcoast egg, it's a pretty solid board. I ride short boards so I pretty much ride it as a log replacement. At 6'10 x 22 1/2 x 2 7/8 it's got a bit of foam for smaller days. On the whole it's a well made board with nice resin tint etc. it feels pretty heavy to me but like I said usually ride short boards.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 29 Jul 2015 at 7:45am

What's the litreage of that board mark? 

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 29 Jul 2015 at 7:49am

48-55 at a guess.

thebeard's picture
thebeard's picture
thebeard Wednesday, 29 Jul 2015 at 10:26am

Thanks Markxxx, helpful feedback. It looks like a great board and I'm having a squiz in the shop this weekend. Funny when you're looking for a new board, there's plenty of info available on dims, rails, shapes, fins, how the board should feel, what you could do with it, suitable level etc. but little info on the conditions the board performs in best. Sure you have sentences like "great in hollow conditions" or "for those smaller days" but what does that mean? Teahupoo hollow? 3ft johanna (which to me is very different from 3 ft point addis). And I get that certain boards work in certain conditions (wouldnt take out a foamie to the wedge, unless you're JOB) but often I find the online info on boards pretty marginal.

markxxx's picture
markxxx's picture
markxxx Wednesday, 29 Jul 2015 at 10:33am

Hey Ben, no idea mate, bought it slightly used. I'd guess 50+ easy.

markxxx's picture
markxxx's picture
markxxx Wednesday, 29 Jul 2015 at 10:50am

Hey TB, I see in the link you put up it said chest to DOH. Seems like it might be designed to be a step up from a longboard so it might suit you nicely. I use mine in tiny waves when I just want to get out there or even if my grovel board would struggle so I can't really comment on how it'd go in waves it's designed for. I did take it out in 2-3ft once and it did perform really well but I'd rather been a shorty/hybrid in waves that size.

foreday rider's picture
foreday rider's picture
foreday rider Wednesday, 5 Aug 2015 at 5:37pm

You mean double-enders ?.....very user friendly plan shape , and can perform in just about any sized waves when built correctly....they like a bit of volume.

thebeard's picture
thebeard's picture
thebeard Thursday, 6 Aug 2015 at 4:29pm

Yeah, double-enders. I got inspired by watching Devon Howard drawing these beautiful lines in this little vid