Shaping an isometric tail

groundswell's picture
groundswell started the topic in Wednesday, 10 Jun 2015 at 4:51am

Ok its about time i got shaping an idea ive been wondering about for a while. An Isometric shape.

The idea is i like round tails and fishy wide swallows but not much else.
My normal instant stance likes swallows (back foots right on rail so its drivey on swallows) but a little slidey on round tails sometimes but i like round tails for sharper turns and cutbacks.Due to the foot on rail i can not ride pin tails.
So i think id like to shape a left only isometric with the half swallow one side for drive, possibly with a keel fin that side (inside rail).
then round tail for cutback side and two fins (half a quad) other side.
The idea gets me mixed up as im sure it could take a lot of foam and blanks and glassing to get one that's just right.
Its also the cutback side fins i might stuff up.

I was hoping to get some feedback on isometric boards similar to this. I only have one spare bedroom right now that i probably should not use for mowing foam but i will anyway.
Any tips from people, like Caml and Brutus or anyone else are welcome.

Im not sure if this will be a small wave board or what yet, just curious to ideas thrown around.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Wednesday, 10 Jun 2015 at 5:07am

I mean Assymetric

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Wednesday, 10 Jun 2015 at 9:09am

Haha to start with it is assymetric mate . As youve corrected . Thats a good start . Go with your instinct

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 10 Jun 2015 at 9:16am

Mikayla Jones is raving about his new assym from Ryan Birch ,pic on his insti page
Futures boxes and a stray fcs plug or two ?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 10 Jun 2015 at 9:30am

I've been riding a Chris Garrett assym for the last 3 weeks and freaking out on it. Don't think I've ever spent as much time thinking about a board, how water flows over fibreglass, how the fins on each side operate differently, the myriad possibilities with shape. I've lost sleep thinking about it.

My board is 5'8 on the heel side, 5'10" on the toe side, the fins (quad set up) are equidistant from the stringer yet the heel side fins are about 2 inches forward. Each cluster is the same distance from the rail and so they relate to the rail in the same way, nothing weird happens when going toe to heel side, no weird pull or track.

The gist of it is just as you've alluded to Groundswell, drive off the toe side, shorter arcs off the heel side. In rights that means sharper top turns and cutbacks (I'm a natural footer).

I've been eyeing off a few boards in the shed and wondering if they'd work better if I did a backyard assymetrical job on them.

Gonna write more about it later.

memlasurf's picture
memlasurf's picture
memlasurf Wednesday, 10 Jun 2015 at 10:13am

Is it better Stu or just really different?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 10 Jun 2015 at 11:38am

memlasurf wrote:

Is it better Stu or just really different?

Not sure about better, but it feels really, really good.

mick-free's picture
mick-free's picture
mick-free Wednesday, 10 Jun 2015 at 1:54pm

Memla I can vouch for Stu surfing the assymetric board. Had a session with him on a reef down south coast and watching the board, sat in the water real nice, very smooth through turns looked the real deal....pretty interested in giving them a go. I have always looked at Garretts shapes but thought too weird to ride but changing my mind and would love to take one to Indo. Can we get a trial one ???

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Wednesday, 10 Jun 2015 at 3:15pm

The amazing assys of col smith newy had shorter on forehand & longer on backhand . By 10 inches !

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Wednesday, 10 Jun 2015 at 9:24pm

Real keen to hear more detail on that Stu,
Camel im not sure how many you have had but i think that one you lost at customs , word down the line someone said you thought it was the best tube riding board you had ridden back then.
I wish you had some shots of it.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Wednesday, 10 Jun 2015 at 9:43pm

There is pics & it still exists . That one wasnt lost at customs . 3 were lost but they were all normal boards i think (. Rember 2 at least ) i have done plenty of assy stuff but did give up doing that stuff becos i thought about it non stop . Ie lots of fin & materials but mostly left barrels with assymetric designs .

norchock's picture
norchock's picture
norchock Thursday, 11 Jun 2015 at 3:24pm
caml wrote:

The amazing assys of col smith newy had shorter on forehand & longer on backhand . By 10 inches !

Yeah caml,cols and to a lesser extent al byrne's assyms are what i think of when this topic comes up...cols were very extreme,designed for big lefts at high speeds.single fins too,big surfboards in the 8'0 range...you know the one caml.do these asyms that others are talking here,offset fins etc,in the 5'10/6'0 size range really perform much different?just asking....

more's picture
more's picture
more Wednesday, 1 Jul 2015 at 11:28am