Board Advice

Joel Eugene Slater-Burrows's picture
Joel Eugene Sla... started the topic in Saturday, 23 Aug 2014 at 4:49pm

Hello fellow Swellnetians, im currently in the market for a two board quiver to handle overhead to double over head clean, hollow-ish waves. I was thinking about either a Firewire Hellfire/ Firewire Hellrazor and Firewire Flexfire combo or a Maurice Cole Metro and Maurice Cole Protow combo. Just wondering if anybody has had any experience with any of these boards and could give me some feedback/advice, cheers.

Joel Eugene Sla... Saturday, 23 Aug 2014 at 4:56pm

Hello fellow Swellnetians, im currently in the market for a two board quiver to handle overhead to double over head clean, hollow-ish waves. I was thinking about either a Firewire Hellfire/ Firewire Hellrazor and Firewire Flexfire combo or a Maurice Cole Metro and Maurice Cole Protow combo. Just wondering if anybody has had any experience with any of these boards and could give me some feedback/advice, cheers.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 23 Aug 2014 at 6:41pm

Ive got both a 5, 10 Hellfire and a 6, 3 Flexfire in my quiver.

The Hellfire is one of the best boards ive ever had, and ive had about 30+ boards over the years
a real great all round board from waist high to double overhead and its the only board ive ridden that goes just as good as both a thruster and a quad.

You can ride it in hollow waves and its still goes good, but when its all about barrels i normally grab another board.

The Flexfire IMO, not a bad board but nothing extra special either its a pretty standard HP board, mine i use more as a step up in hollower waves, although ive got a few other boards that are similar that i prefer.

All that said boards are like women or like music, just because i love it doesn't mean you will.

Joel Eugene Sla... Saturday, 23 Aug 2014 at 11:20pm

Thanks Indo, I appreciate the feedback, been looking at getting the Hellfire for quite a while now (everyone seems to rave about them). Just out of interest what is your go to board as a step up in hollower waves?

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 24 Aug 2014 at 8:47am

Last trip to Indo in real hollow waves i was riding a 6,2 chilli future flex, rounded pin, forget what model, as i just picked it up secondhand and its now stashed at a local friends house over there.

Joel Eugene Sla... Sunday, 24 Aug 2014 at 4:05pm

Cheers indo!

Joel Eugene Sla... Sunday, 24 Aug 2014 at 7:17pm

Anybody had any experience with Maurice Cole boards? Particularly the Metro and Protow models?

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Sunday, 24 Aug 2014 at 8:45pm

Hey Brutus you better answer this one.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Sunday, 24 Aug 2014 at 9:04pm

Yes indodream . Thats right boards can go good some days then bad the next wave u surf

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Sunday, 24 Aug 2014 at 9:06pm

Been using a fun small board for weeks then today went left for first time . Cant say it went good .

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Monday, 25 Aug 2014 at 9:39am

JES...sorry mate but my order book is full at the moment and I am leaving in about 5 weeks......till end of Feb I am on the WST gain....

just for the record...a Metro/Protow combo will handle from waist high to probably 4 times overhead......or as big a wave you can catch on the protow,have a lot of people now ordering 2-4 bd quivers....as once you ridden the faster new designs , the rest of ya quiver is dead!!

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 25 Aug 2014 at 1:19pm
caml wrote:

Yes indodream . Thats right boards can go good some days then bad the next wave u surf

Board or rider?...I often blame my board on bad days, but i think its more me most of the time.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 25 Aug 2014 at 1:25pm
indo-dreaming wrote:

Last trip to Indo in real hollow waves i was riding a 6,2 chilli future flex, rounded pin, forget what model, as i just picked it up secondhand and its now stashed at a local friends house over there.

Well i did have have, I got SMS last night from a mate who is over there and took my board out and creased it :(

I did say he could borrow it, so i guess its my fault..Arrggghrrrr

Mmmm I didn't mind the feel of future flex tech, but now i think i will stick to FW FST tech, no boards indestructible but ive had five FW now in FST and yet to even crease one.

wesley's picture
wesley's picture
wesley Monday, 25 Aug 2014 at 6:16pm

Get a protow plus a metro. Add one of the hipster models and you'll never need another board. Check zak surfboards website

Joel Eugene Sla... Monday, 25 Aug 2014 at 7:04pm

Cheers everyone for the input!! ".... as once you ridden the faster new designs , the rest of ya quiver is dead!!" With a sales line like that Brutus I might have to wait till ya get back in February!