Tail Pad

denisp's picture
denisp started the topic in Monday, 18 Mar 2013 at 9:38pm

Hi guys. My tail pad is getting slowly detached from the board. Does anyone know a good glue to glue it back on or should I wait for it to come off completely and put another one? Thank.

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Monday, 18 Mar 2013 at 11:57pm

Gidday, Urethane Bond works really good for deck grip lifting. Just use it as the instructions say.

50young's picture
50young's picture
50young Tuesday, 19 Mar 2013 at 9:03am

Tip from one ofthe guys at Palmers was to heat the pad with a hot air gun this will reactivate the glue

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 19 Mar 2013 at 9:39am

Who's got a hot air gun these days?

rees0's picture
rees0's picture
rees0 Tuesday, 19 Mar 2013 at 8:59pm

Most guys girlfriends will have a hot air gun.

jam-pacific's picture
jam-pacific's picture
jam-pacific Thursday, 4 Apr 2013 at 9:06pm

Ive always used super glue and its always worked a treat! Just make sure you get the tail pad on a clean borad in the first case. Prevention better than cure!

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Thursday, 4 Apr 2013 at 9:46pm

I've used super-glue too, but only on PU boards and with the intention of never removing the tail pad again.

But, if you have tuff-lite boards or epoxy boards, there's a good chance that the tail pad will wear out before the board, so I wouldn't use super-glue.

If you want to remove a tail pad, use a hairdryer to heat up the pad. Use the lowest setting and keep it moving, don't heat in one place for too long. Then when it's nice and warm use dental floss in a sawing motion. The pad should come away pretty easily and then try and get the rest of the residue off with a sharp, clean wax comb. Clean as best you can and put on a fresh tail pad.

denisp's picture
denisp's picture
denisp Thursday, 4 Apr 2013 at 10:49pm

I took uplift's advice and used urethane bond. Holds great but the bloody thing is very expensive, $20 in bunnings. I guess it must be because its the only thing that sort of guarantees to hold with something that's used in the water regularly. Now the only problem might be because its the Firewire fst board and what zen said, the pad might wear out before the board. Wasn't even thinking about that....