Swinger review.

freeride76's picture
freeride76 started the topic in Friday, 19 Nov 2010 at 4:56am

I went down to Yxxxa t'other day to see MP (Mark Pridmore) and talk boards, drink a beer at the pub and maybe grab a feed of schoolies from the co-op.
I'll talk fcuking boards till the cows come home.

Me and MP talked about QF Mk2 and DD mk2.

Mark's been keen for me to ride his Swinger for ages but I just couldn't get my head around it.
It was with reluctance that I accepted his offer to ride it, which is brainless but the truth.
He said don't even try and think about what is happening, don't try. Just ride it and see what happens.
But it sat in my garage all week with me trying to wrap my head around it and getting more and more reluctant to ride it.

Nothing that looks that weird can work. (i thought).
That mid board sharp wing (flyer) has to make for a super weird and dysfunctional feeling ( I thunketh).

Finally yesterday there was some surf and a window to go surfing. I almost didn't even pack it but I have to try it. for the sake of impartiality and first hand experience, if nothing else.

Surf was at a local point. Head high on the sets. Bit weird, the odd really fun bowly peeler. Light/mod crowd that consisted of Owen Wright amongst others.

My head space was negative, and I felt like I was wearing a mankini walking to the rock-off.
This thing can't work....what the fcuk am I doing on this? etc etc......no disrespect to MP, that is just an honest reflection of the self-talk.

I caught two shitty close-outs and was ready to pull the pin.
But the board felt alright on the paddle and entry so I figured one or two more.

I nailed a wide set on the bowl and came off the bottom, the board went hard off the bottom and straight into the bowl with speed and control. I was able to carve a hard backside hook straight back into the bowl with that wonderful feeling of coming out of the turn with more speed than I went into it with.
Schizer! There's something here........is what I thought.

I proceeded to catch a half dozen more set waves and the board felt ,,,fcuking unreal.
I can't explain it.
I can see why guys recoil from it.
I did .
But it surfs so good.
I'm gunna give it a few more goes and maybe change the DD to a Swinger.

Moral of the Story: On surfboard design...... I know fcuking nothing close to what I think I know.
But I know what I like.

the-spleen_2's picture
the-spleen_2's picture
the-spleen_2 Friday, 19 Nov 2010 at 6:30am

Nice review. Doesn't mean much without photos thouugh. What's so weird (looking) about it?

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Friday, 19 Nov 2010 at 7:16am

Hang on I'll post a few pics.

sir-yehudi-wooody-the-75-1-2th's picture
sir-yehudi-wooody-the-75-1-2th's picture
sir-yehudi-wooo... Saturday, 20 Nov 2010 at 12:36am

I had a Mike Davis stinger back in the 80's, this design also had a step bottom, the step was about 1/2''and was located where the rail cutaway was.
I found the design messed with your head in that if your feet were say 1- 2'' further forward than normal when you jumped to your feet to do a bottom turn, it would turn in a long arc,but 1-2'' further back and it would turn sharply.
Having said that I remember surfing a fast peeling point break near Bells and standing further forward (back foot almost above step) and it did fast up and down pumping rollercoasters, which felt good.
My overall impression of the stinger - a bit confusing.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 29 Nov 2010 at 12:41am

Tweaked me back so was unable to maintain the testing program for a week but finally got a second go-out late last week.
Twas in onshore, overhead Pointbreak. Unruly with heaps of chunky sections. hard to surf.

First wave I felt the similar sensations of the first surf. Very, very sure-footed off the bottom turn with a ton of hold and really easy to put it right where you want it.
Carving hooks feel like filleting a fresh tailor with a razor-sharp 12 inch blade, which is to say , super easy and buttery.

Showed my brother and mate and tried to get them interested but they just shrugged and raised an eyebrow. I can understand.
Unless you ride it, your not going to understand it.

Had a surf in total onshore slop on the weekend with the very odd slopey left. Had a ball going forehand. Tons of easy speed that can be hacked and belted at anything moving.
This board is fucking doing my head in. I'm seriously questioning everything I thought I knew about surfboard design. Whats so weird about this board is how unweird it is to ride.
Photos coming.

I'll try and get some footy cause words can mean jackshitt unless you can see whats happening.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 29 Nov 2010 at 8:59pm

Has it got a step on the bottom, or is it just similar to an Aipa Stinger with flyers further forward? If similar to an Aipa is the rest of the planshape also similar?

batfink_and_karate's picture
batfink_and_karate's picture
batfink_and_karate Wednesday, 1 Dec 2010 at 2:24am

I just don't think I could go there myself Steve.

Even if it is a great board to ride, I couldn't get around the aesthetic.

There would surely be a better way to skin that cat.

Not closed-minded about these things, but the aesthetic is important to me.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Wednesday, 1 Dec 2010 at 2:38am

Ah, yeah I know what you mean.

Stu, trying to get a few photos uploaded so you can see what I mean.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 1 Dec 2010 at 3:24am

Cummon Steve, I've been gagging to see what this board looks like.

Just get out the point and shot, click the shiny button on top and then put them up here :)

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Wednesday, 1 Dec 2010 at 3:34am

Umm...the board is in the van which is currently on a school pick-up run.

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Wednesday, 1 Dec 2010 at 11:18am

Cummon Steve, I've been gagging to see what this board looks like.

Just get out the point and shot, click the shiny button on top and then put them up here :)

By: "craig"

Plenty of images here......

http://www.moresurfboards.com/mainpage.html

Click the "Boards" link and then "The Swinger" link.