Firewire dimensions- can anybody interpret

zenagain's picture
zenagain started the topic in Sunday, 5 Sep 2010 at 5:56am

Hi, can anybody with knowledge of firewire boards help?

I`m looking at buying a firewire here in Japan, I believe it is an Australian sourced board, but the serial number doesn`t match anything on their website, leading me to believe that even though the board is unsurfed, it`s old stock.

It`s a Flexfire Direct Drive 6'6'' pintail #DFE606P-1812-208-00

From what I can gather, the dimensions are 6'6'' x 2 1/2'' x 2 08'' which is where the confusion arises- Firewire don`t have a board on their site with these dimensions and what is the 2 08''? Why not just 2.0 inches? I know 2 1/2, 2 3/4, 2 5/8, 2 5/16 etc but 2 08 is new to me.

I`m asking because I`m looking at buying on a Japanese website and my Japanese is not so good. The board is as new and at the right price. I`m currently looking for a step up board for indo and was wondering if this was the right board for me. the length and width is right but I`m concerned about the thickness, I`m 6ft and weigh 87kg.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Also, if anybody has experience with one of these, would like to hear how it goes.

brendo's picture
brendo's picture
brendo commented Sunday, 5 Sep 2010 at 11:14pm

no idea myself but I've seen Firewire has discussion boards and even Nev posts on there. They have a FB page too, maybe someone on there would know.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain commented Tuesday, 7 Sep 2010 at 2:13pm

Thanks brendo, I got a reply from a bloke at Firewire. Apparently they used to model the last digits of the serial numbers as a fraction of 16ths- hence 208 is 2 1/2'', 212 = 2 3/4`` etc. It sounds cumbersome to me and they`ve now reverted back to just writing the true dimensions.

Watashi wa metabo oyagi desu.