Firewire dimensions- can anybody interpret

zenagain's picture
zenagain started the topic in Sunday, 5 Sep 2010 at 5:56am

Hi, can anybody with knowledge of firewire boards help?

I`m looking at buying a firewire here in Japan, I believe it is an Australian sourced board, but the serial number doesn`t match anything on their website, leading me to believe that even though the board is unsurfed, it`s old stock.

It`s a Flexfire Direct Drive 6'6'' pintail #DFE606P-1812-208-00

From what I can gather, the dimensions are 6'6'' x 2 1/2'' x 2 08'' which is where the confusion arises- Firewire don`t have a board on their site with these dimensions and what is the 2 08''? Why not just 2.0 inches? I know 2 1/2, 2 3/4, 2 5/8, 2 5/16 etc but 2 08 is new to me.

I`m asking because I`m looking at buying on a Japanese website and my Japanese is not so good. The board is as new and at the right price. I`m currently looking for a step up board for indo and was wondering if this was the right board for me. the length and width is right but I`m concerned about the thickness, I`m 6ft and weigh 87kg.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Also, if anybody has experience with one of these, would like to hear how it goes.

brendo's picture
brendo's picture
brendo Sunday, 5 Sep 2010 at 11:14pm

no idea myself but I've seen Firewire has discussion boards and even Nev posts on there. They have a FB page too, maybe someone on there would know.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 7 Sep 2010 at 2:13pm

Thanks brendo, I got a reply from a bloke at Firewire. Apparently they used to model the last digits of the serial numbers as a fraction of 16ths- hence 208 is 2 1/2'', 212 = 2 3/4`` etc. It sounds cumbersome to me and they`ve now reverted back to just writing the true dimensions.