Surfing politicians, what next?

pete_79's picture
pete_79 started the topic in Thursday, 25 Mar 2010 at 10:18pm

I saw a clip on the news the other night of Tony Abbott having a go in the surf (for the record he did get to his feet), and then doing an interview on the beach with his monster mal ticked under his arm. Is this guy serious…???

I have no idea of what he was talking about, my mind was racing the whole time he was talking. All I could think about was; it’s not bad enough that we have to put up with egos and agro in the water these days, now there’s going to be a load of shit talking politicians too…..

Tony Abbott trying to get the youth vote… FAIL..!!!!

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Friday, 26 Mar 2010 at 2:22am

I'm pretty sure he's been surfing a while Pete.

Seen him at the Bower and at Manly a couple of times. Although I'm not keen on his views, he was talkative and happy to be out there enjoying the waves like any of us.

Maybe Garett and Abbott should head out for a surf contest to decide all things climate change etc..

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 26 Mar 2010 at 3:05am

Like his views on contraception and sex before marriage the Mad Monk is way behind the times in this. Fred Hemmings, big wave pioneer from Hawaii, is a senator. Or at least he was. And old Ian Cohen, he who rode the bow wave of the USS Oldendorf down Sydney Harbour has been fooling about in State politics for years.

pete_79's picture
pete_79's picture
pete_79 Friday, 26 Mar 2010 at 4:58am

I'm pretty sure he's been surfing a while Pete.

Seen him at the Bower and at Manly a couple of times. Although I'm not keen on his views, he was talkative and happy to be out there enjoying the waves like any of us.

Maybe Garett and Abbott should head out for a surf contest to decide all things climate change etc..

By: "craig"

I guessed by that fact that he got to his feet and road the white wash to the shore that he’d been out before. It’s good to hear that he doesn’t go around preaching to everyone while he’s in the water, not that I really expected him to…
Just had a funny vision of him paddling around out the back boring the shit out of everyone till they all paddled away from him. Then, him sitting out there on his own taking all the waves he wanted and riding them with that stupid, smug grin on his face.

I think it was more the interview on the beach that bugged me (thinking he was trying to look “cool” in a vain PR exercise). But I guess if he does interviews in his budgie smugglers with the clubbies and also in those ridiculous lycra riding outfits, why not do one in boardies and a rashy.

Bring on the Garret V Abbott surf comp I say…. I assume Swellnet be doing the live web cast??? :)

goatfollower's picture
goatfollower's picture
goatfollower Sunday, 28 Mar 2010 at 11:07am

I saw that on the tv, I could have gotten out the rifle I was that furious. Keep publicity acts out of the surf.

pauly's picture
pauly's picture
pauly Tuesday, 30 Mar 2010 at 8:30pm

can you imagine next election, paddling out the back and finding buoy's with Tony Abbot's election posters stuck on them bobbing around in the water LOL. Must be going for the surfer vote.

prawnhead's picture
prawnhead's picture
prawnhead Tuesday, 30 Mar 2010 at 9:16pm

had to change my direction paddling out to avoid being run over by some guy in budgie smugglers on a mal double handed paddling to catch a wave that morning... didn't place the face until i had paddled across to the small peak 50 m away and saw the media hounds and cameras on the beach....missed a golden opportunity to tell tony his surfing was in some strange way symbolic of his politics..... trying hard but poor selection, way off the peak, drifting aimlessly, in front of the rocks

jaffa1949's picture
jaffa1949's picture
jaffa1949 Sunday, 23 May 2010 at 12:23pm

had to change my direction paddling out to avoid being run over by some guy in budgie smugglers on a mal double handed paddling to catch a wave that morning... didn't place the face until i had paddled across to the small peak 50 m away and saw the media hounds and cameras on the beach....missed a golden opportunity to tell tony his surfing was in some strange way symbolic of his politics..... trying hard but poor selection, way off the peak, drifting aimlessly, in front of the rocks

By: "prawnhead"

Sounds a bit like how his policy rides, The other is a disconnected Rudder on on an SUP of a party,

mishy1's picture
mishy1's picture
mishy1 Sunday, 13 Jun 2010 at 4:26am

If politics are heading to the surf to gain votes, at least have the consideration of others in mind when considering what to wear... Its different girls wearing small swim wear but when it comes down to old men...my gosh, keep the budgie smugglers to a minimum!! PLEASE.