It's just not cricket

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog started the topic in Monday, 26 Mar 2018 at 7:32pm

The cheating fiasco is exactly what Australia needs. Since the John Howard era, we as not only as sports people, but as a nation have become so arrogant, so holier than thou, that the rest of the world look at us in disgust. Cheats... Hypocrites.. Bullies.. Look today, in the shadow of South Africa... Manly Sea eagles found guilty of salary cap cheating... No one blinks an eye... Well people better blink an eye.
Our tennis stars acting like pigs , our olympians having sook attacks, rugby players dealing coke and laughing as no criminal conviction is recorded... Excuses upon excuses for Essendon and James Hird.

But how did we get here? How did we get to the point where we crap on kuta beach, where we are looked at in disdain in Europe, where the turks look on in horror as we leave gallipoli on anzac day looking like a shit pit?

All you have to do is look at the arrogance of our leaders from Howard onwards... Monkey see monkey do. Now we have progressed to even vote for the likes of Hanson, Lambie, Bernardi.... And look at Abbott, or Turnbull, or Morrison, or Credlin, Jones, Hadlee, Dutton, Bolt, look at how people act on "My kitchen rules" and all those other ridiculous shows.... We are pathetic.

So that one little piece of tape used to rub a red ball - I hope it makes the whole of Australia reflect on what it means to be Australian.
Or maybe it's a bit too late?

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Monday, 26 Mar 2018 at 7:32pm

Thoughts?

crg's picture
crg's picture
crg Monday, 26 Mar 2018 at 7:52pm

That's a real big can of worms Sheepy...

As much as the attitude of the "Australian" cricket team is reflective of many of our current ills in society, I can't see this incident being a catalyst for any appropriate change. More than likely will end up being a leverage point for Cricket Australia in their ongoing negotiations with the players for revenue share. The sanctions will probably serve the purpose of removing the player power base instead of being a punishment for the cheating.

As for the rest of society...where to start...

cd's picture
cd's picture
cd Monday, 26 Mar 2018 at 8:08pm

choc "The Man" and
Jayrad "The Hayne Plane"
updating there resumes, new openers for the test side.

happyasS's picture
happyasS's picture
happyasS Monday, 26 Mar 2018 at 8:24pm

i can put up with cheating on the sportfield, lying politicians, drunken aussies displaying their arrogance all around the world....but one thing I cannot put up with is My Kitchen Rules.

cd's picture
cd's picture
cd Monday, 26 Mar 2018 at 8:33pm

choc "The Man" and
Jayrad "The Hayne Plane"
updating there resumes, new openers for the test side.

eat-your-vegies's picture
eat-your-vegies's picture
eat-your-vegies Monday, 26 Mar 2018 at 8:41pm

At least we haven’t got to the Tonya Harding stage yet .

Speaking of Tonya

Did you know that she and Micheal Jackson bought a horse racing track.
She did the handy capping , Jackson rode the 3 year olds.

Bshop_feez's picture
Bshop_feez's picture
Bshop_feez Monday, 26 Mar 2018 at 9:36pm

the cricket fiasco is not great news, do feel bad Bancroft

rees0's picture
rees0's picture
rees0 Monday, 26 Mar 2018 at 9:46pm

Bit of an over reaction over a bit of ball tampering. Fafs been done twice, tendulkar as well. No need for Mal to stick his 2 cents in either.

Was pretty brazen but no-ones ever been busted like that. Was like watching worlds dumbest criminals.

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Monday, 26 Mar 2018 at 10:29pm

Leadership team extorted $Gazillions for SA special Ops, playing their Sportsmanship card.
1/2 $Billion dollars lost on paper already...Easily a $Billion gone by next week.

Empire Games sabotaged! (S.A. will get a mighty locals roar vs loser OZ @ Ball sports)
Games Village might wanna consider a lock up...or pointy sticks for Aussie Zoo cage.

"Tricky Dickies Sticky Wicket"...
Movie ticket admission! (Supports needy greedy cricketers foundation)
Starring Cooly Kidz, Tom Tank & (cd's... Hayne Plain) as whataboutme OZ leadership team.

Are you tampering with your balls or just happy to see me?
That's not a Baggy Green ! This is a baggy Green ! WTF...(Where did that come from?)
{Blockbuster OZ Ballbuster} (MA) "Tricky Dickies Sticky Wicket" [Soundtrack by 12th man].

upnorth's picture
upnorth's picture
upnorth Monday, 26 Mar 2018 at 10:40pm

If some of the criticism has been on the raw side its because the Aussie team have presented themselves as the model of what it appropriate and proper conduct on and off the field for the last few years. Their arrogance has reached a new level as they've taken the moral high ground on where 'the line' is while insisting that they play hard but keep on the right side of it.

Lehman whinging about the abuse his team get in SA is pure hypocrisy, is was him who called for supporters to verbally abuse Stuart Broad when he didn't walk at Trent Bridge in 2013 saying “I just hope the Australian public give it to him right from the word go for the whole summer and I hope he cries and goes home”. Doesn't like his players being on the receiving end though.

It seems like the team are in a bubble and the same can be said about Australia to a certain extent. With a skewed idea of how they are perceived and too much arrogance to give it much of a second thought anyway. Partly geography, partly national psyche, there's no changing either.

rees0's picture
rees0's picture
rees0 Monday, 26 Mar 2018 at 10:46pm

Gotta say when Warnie can take the moral high ground then you've done something wrong. No doubt they are a disgrace and like pointed out it's been that way for a while.

ljkarma's picture
ljkarma's picture
ljkarma Tuesday, 27 Mar 2018 at 11:38am

suggestion to Smith, Warner et al for step 1 on a long road of possible redemption.
Go and buy a return ticket from your own money and go down to Tathra for the next 12 months and put in 12 hr days labouring for the good people who lost everything at the very time you were hatching a plan to disgrace all of them for personal financial gain.
Donate your match earnings and huge sponsorship takings and build a top cricket facility in town and pay for some real cricket heroes to coach the kids while you labour away in silence.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 27 Mar 2018 at 11:42am

Gotta love the redhead Sth African grom waiting on the boundary to get an autograph
On a piece of Sandpaper.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Tuesday, 27 Mar 2018 at 11:46am

It might not be cricket but more importantly it's not news either. It will be a question for trivia buffs in a few years. This is the circuses part of "bread and circuses". Keep 'em distracted while we go on with business as usual.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Tuesday, 27 Mar 2018 at 12:38pm

It's definitely news but your point is taken BB - it shouldn't be.

"Our nation is united in outrage and "shocking disappointment" over a cricket scandal — not the findings of the Royal Commission into child sexual abuse [that's 4,444 alleged victims with an average age of 10.5 for girls and just over 11.5 for boys] or the repeated suicide attempts of a ten-year-old boy on Nauru"

https://independentaustralia.net/life/life-display/steve-smith-cricket-a...

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Tuesday, 27 Mar 2018 at 12:48pm

Or maybe this should be one of the issues invoking near-universal outrage

"Tax concessions to the wealthiest fifth of households are costing the federal budget about half as much as the total cost of welfare payments"

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-26/tax-concessions-put-welfare-costs-...

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Tuesday, 27 Mar 2018 at 12:50pm

Wholeheartedly agree with fellow Swellnetonians.
Nothing short of Royal Commission into banning Sport. (Make it retrospective)
Piss off OZ yobbos! Pay off foreign debt the very next day...too simple!
I'll proudly march with the village idiots to torch Dr Frankenstein's slab at AIS.

Reclaim our past & reconcile our future.
No $ Billion World Games bribes & No footin' footy teams rum 'n' coke tabs.
Blow up the pokies/Kill your TV/Don't bet on it.

Once we'd plan secret midnite raids behind enemy lines to our prise ball from dogz teeth. Nowdayz a drone returns ball to front door with video apology/trophy & free game ticket!
Superbrat generation is so weened on boyz toys. Without their rattle they spit the dummy!

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Tuesday, 27 Mar 2018 at 2:09pm

Happyass writes "i can put up with cheating on the sportfield, lying politicians, drunken aussies displaying their arrogance all around the world....but one thing I cannot put up with is My Kitchen Rules."

I BET you're one of those "the bachelor" watchers :/ bahahahahaha

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Tuesday, 27 Mar 2018 at 3:19pm

Agree with much of above.

This cricket thing is just weird though. I don't know if arrogance is the word, twisted, stupid, spiteful, disgraceful, just fucken odd are closer. The major contributors should be sacked, and tbe rest of the morons should have their pays halved. If they don't like it, leave and we'll start again. The systemic-ness is alarming, an ugly ugly culture that has developed, and not just in cricket as SD points out.

I disagree with the tathra idea, that would just be another lame PR exercise that addresses nothing, slows the machine for a few weeks, and then back to business as usual. We've seen that pan out too many times, allowing this ugly culture to develop.

MKR was the ugliest thing on television. Until married at first sight came along. Talk about normalising the worst of contemporary culture. And that's without even considering the plastic surgery disasters, cue DK's, a pertinant warning 30 years ahead of it's time. Funny how women's persuit of beauty can be so fucking ugly.

Really interesting hearing my migrant workmates make these observations without me even saying anything. The downfall of western society is their general observation. An astute one from my persective.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Tuesday, 27 Mar 2018 at 3:22pm

"Tax concessions to the wealthiest fifth of households are costing the federal budget about half as much as the total cost of welfare payments"

WTF is with that?

Seems to be the dumbest thing you could do to stimulate the economy under the current conditions.

happyasS's picture
happyasS's picture
happyasS Tuesday, 27 Mar 2018 at 6:04pm

SD, im happy to say i haven't watched a single reality TV show since season 1 of survivor.

but yes, we are a little pathetic. in fact the developed world has become a little pathetic. were is the pride anymore? PRIDE. we are all too happy to accept the sub-standard. not just in our leaders and sportspeople but even perhaps in ourselves.

if we turn a blind eye then it says a lot about ourselves.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Tuesday, 27 Mar 2018 at 6:27pm

I don't think the main purpose of tax concessions for the wealthy is to stimulate the economy...
May have something to do with vote buying and neoliberal ideology though.

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Tuesday, 27 Mar 2018 at 10:50pm

Top OZ automatically automates laying off record numbers each record windfall.
Most are largely owned by U.S. shareholders.(Very few would know OZ company tax rate)
"U.S. Tax'breaks" + Smokin' Joe's Oz super bonds prop up Trump's neoliberal border wall.

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Wednesday, 28 Mar 2018 at 12:16am

Note: Mal's "Dumb Deal" got us into this mess.
Great Wall/OZ Steel likely to be only Southern Hemisphere project exempt from U.S. Tariff!

Back to watching grass grow during the Lay Year at the cricket!
These ground catches are real brimstone. Recall Smithy seething wanting system changed!
Each series has 'em & they really fire up proceedings. Way more telling than sledging.
For all we know the reversed nudge umpire decision got Smithy fired up to rebel.
Did we all know we cheat? S.A. did & installed Close up Candid Cameras to catch us out.

Easier for Aussies to say it was a bet !Crowd would never have doubted nor raised an eyelid.
Do you still get a fine for not betting? ...maybe sit out an over! Be all blown over by now!

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Wednesday, 28 Mar 2018 at 6:44pm

Looks like I better sue first dog for a blatant rip off bahahahahaha.

But probably shows I'm not alone in my thoughts of what we have become - an insidious bunch of fucktards.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/mar/28/cricket-gave-us-ho...

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 28 Mar 2018 at 7:27pm

Put your own hand up for being a fucktard if you want Sheepy. Myself , my family and my mates are decent people that try to leave the world a better place than they found it.

If you want to lump yourself in with some pratty cricket nancies then knock yourself out.

Australians are forever being told by people such as yourself that to have pride in their country is jingoistic and gauche , yet without pride you get a nation that has no care or responsibility towards each other or their community and common identity. You get a “ diverse “ nation of competing individuals and a segregated society.

Fuck that.

PS You been getting any waves , Sheepdog ?

Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie Wednesday, 28 Mar 2018 at 7:50pm

Whos Steve Warner and Dave Smith?

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Wednesday, 28 Mar 2018 at 9:29pm

Why Bright yellow Tape + 3 stooges routine...C'mon inside betting scam set up!
Band Aid would do the job with sanction of umpires
See-thru sticky tape ...Get lost on the wind! Whenever the occasion! What? It's gone now!

At least tape one frayed shoelace then show Umpire tape from your untidy trip hazard?
Unwrap tape from blistered finger? Poor sod,we best get you fresh ball tampering tape.
Band Aid falls from a shaving nick ..Accuse the wounded for What?... Listen to yourself?

Anyhow 1001 excuses & uses for tape so why flip the fluro yellow dicky bird. (Bloody suss!)

Luckily Aussies love tape if only to hold the Bumper on.
Tape Test wraps up Boxing Day Test.(Another piss up for solving Boxing Day riddle)

South Africa fights to retain The Yellow Tape in Test series to rival The Ashes.
Aussie Cricketers promise to cheat to bring our Yellow Tape back home.
Yellow Tape is now greatest prize in World Cricket recently valued higher than Ashes Urn.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Wednesday, 28 Mar 2018 at 10:10pm

This article in the Age about sums it up, Ross Grittins has been on a roll lately.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/cheating-at-cricket-just-one-of-the-u...

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Thursday, 29 Mar 2018 at 1:33am

Yellow Tape (Bloody Suss alright?)They lied! "Sandpaper" is the new Holy grail.
Why fluro Yellow Sandpaper? I mean that shit comes in skin tone as well. (Equally Stupid?)
In any event if our enemy owns that scrap of sandpaper they control us.
S.A. Kidz are testing "Gary" to sign his life away on the back of Sandpaper scraps.

(Yellow Tape Test) now rebranded (" Dura Gold Test Series" with actual Sand'timer trophy)
Most likely a new Power Sander promo goes with that package. (Just gets more mental)

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Thursday, 29 Mar 2018 at 1:20pm

True Grit Test Series (Update)
Sugar then Sticky Tape onto Sandpaper...4th Test the Grinding disc.
World is in a spin..."How do 3 BATSMEN get suspended for Ball Tampering"?
World also asks..."No OZ Bowler notices the Ball leaving the Men's Shed"?
No Bowler dusted down & polished the ball ?
OHS move in to shut down toxic work site as Police lock down crime scene.

[FACTCHECK] S.A. Test is biased in favour of Aussies by using OZ Kookaburra Ball
2017/18 Cricket Australia ordered Shield Games to adopt Pommy Duke Balls.
"Gary is Kookaburra mad" said that is nuts...As upcoming S.A. Test plays OZ Kookaburras.
Essentially S.A. were Training with OZ /S.A. Test ball while OZ Trained with Pommy Ball ?
At Test bowlers request the Kookaburra as if by magic transformed into a Swingin' Duke.

Handmade Dukes high glossy swingin' seam is to rid batsmen's monopoly.
Takeover pegs back the 2 biggest Kookaburra Klubberz in the game....'Our Ball tamperers'.
Cricket OZ Duke trial cost our advantage then biased Test Series to S.A. from the outset.
If that rings true then Senior players are waving a yellow card to return Aussie Shield Ball.

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Friday, 30 Mar 2018 at 6:36am

Cant remember how many stupid mistakes I made when I was young...
This pretty much sums it up...Happy Easter..
8 Jesus returned to the Mount of Olives, 2 but early the next morning he was back again at the Temple. A crowd soon gathered, and he sat down and taught them. 3 As he was speaking, the teachers of religious law and the Pharisees brought a woman who had been caught in the act of adultery. They put her in front of the crowd.
4 “Teacher,” they said to Jesus, “this woman was caught in the act of adultery. 5 The law of Moses says to stone her. What do you say?”
6 They were trying to trap him into saying something they could use against him, but Jesus stooped down and wrote in the dust with his finger. 7 They kept demanding an answer, so he stood up again and said, “All right, but let the one who has never sinned throw the first stone!” 8 Then he stooped down again and wrote in the dust.
9 When the accusers heard this, they slipped away one by one, beginning with the oldest, until only Jesus was left in the middle of the crowd with the woman. 10 Then Jesus stood up again and said to the woman, “Where are your accusers? Didn’t even one of them condemn you?”
11 “No, Lord,” she said.
And Jesus said, “Neither do I. Go and sin no more.”

upnorth's picture
upnorth's picture
upnorth Friday, 30 Mar 2018 at 6:53am

So, the accusers slipped her one, one by one?

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Friday, 30 Mar 2018 at 2:21pm

Blowin, you're the only one to take it personally, which sort of says a lot.

Yeah a few waves.... But too much peripheral life bs going on unfortunately