The Idiocracy

blindboy's picture
blindboy started the topic in Saturday, 11 Feb 2017 at 1:35pm

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Monday, 13 Feb 2017 at 5:11pm

I question why people would vote One Nation at a State Level.

Australians love their services - hospitals, schools, roads, power and State Governments are generally charged with the direct responsibility of their service provision.

We all have a plus or minus understanding of One Nation's policies, which according to my ignorance on the matter, would mean they would be better served rattling the collective political chain at the Federal Level.

Can anybody explain what One Nation has to offer at a State Government level? Federally, they talk about cost cutting and tend to vote with the LNP but at a State level that will may mean cuts to hospitals, schools etc. Will voters in WA or Qld want that? I doubt it.

Gaz1799's picture
Gaz1799's picture
Gaz1799 Monday, 13 Feb 2017 at 5:14pm

bb I agree but in the case of brexit the leader was faced with an issue that he was not mandated with at election. He resigned the day after the result from memory as he staked his job on the result and inadvertently his views did not match those of the people.
Instability seems more likely to occur as leaders views are at odds with the majority of the population. I don't think that governments should be turncoats on policy depending on popular polling of the day but something as dire as brexit warranted at bare minimum a referendum although an election on the issue would have been more appropriate.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 13 Feb 2017 at 5:15pm

No mate, I'll just enjoy the thought that you're irritated at Curl Curl whilst I'm happy as fuck in Bali !

Seriously though mate, any chance of a bit less of the political stuff, it's sucking all of the oxygen and life out of Swellnet.

There is a million other online outlets for political discourse , none of it solves anything and judging by the way it makes me feel it doesn't make anyone happier.

Up to you of course, I've always enjoyed your non political stuff but this gear just makes me mad. Yesterday and today I came home on a post surf high only to feel bitter within ten minutes of looking at Swellnet.

Lot of clever people on here with amazing things to say , but it seems like all energy is dissipated on blah blah blah

Just a thought.

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Monday, 13 Feb 2017 at 5:17pm

Remember this?

The architect of the "Mr Harbourside Mansion" nickname comes clean:

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2017/02/12/carbon-tax-just-brutal-pol...

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Monday, 13 Feb 2017 at 5:23pm

Forget "Mr Harbourside Mansion", we here at Swellnet have got our very own (take your pick)...

"Mr Strawman"

"Mr Gish Gallop"

"Mr Psychological Projection"

And that's just the tip of the iceberg!

Blowie, you da man!

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 13 Feb 2017 at 5:28pm

Get any waves today , Turkey ?

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Monday, 13 Feb 2017 at 5:51pm

Don't look. It's a win win.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Monday, 13 Feb 2017 at 5:59pm

Gaz it was political weakness writ large. They thought they could have it both ways, give the people demanding a plebiscite what they wanted, while feeling certain it would fail. Leadership is make the decision, for or against, and stick to it.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 13 Feb 2017 at 6:08pm

What would you know about leadership Blindboy ?

You go to water at the first sign of opposition .

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Monday, 13 Feb 2017 at 6:15pm

And you go to Bintang, Blowie

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 13 Feb 2017 at 6:31pm

You wouldn't have been far off the mark with that comment a couple of months ago Turkey. In a hole and attempting to drink my way out of it.

Not park dwelling alcoholism , but binging in any opportune downtime.

I was going to write a bit of a post about it yesterday before I got sucked into the Trump thread bad vibe vortex .

Anyway Turkey, Ive had less than 5 beers in 5 weeks.

Feel so much better for it too.

Sleeping so much better with energy levels through the roof.

Drinking - It's not just an Australian cultural thing cause every where I go I'm still getting grog pressed into my hands .

Japanese love a drink, Peruvians love a drink , French love a drink....and they are all here wanting to have a drink together.

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Monday, 13 Feb 2017 at 6:33pm

Don't swap out booze for something else. Like being on here when you're in fucken Indo! Let it go!

Trump/Pauline/Shrooms ain't the answer either!

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 13 Feb 2017 at 6:35pm

I dig the Swellnet deal.

Fuck, I've had two surfs for a total of nearly 5 hours water time , chilling out in the AC after being fried by the sun it's a great place to talk and read some shit.

I don't do Facebook or any other social media.

Just watched Donnie Darko for the 3rd time this week on Chinese movie channel.

My body is too cooked to be productive in any real fashion , so Swellnet it is .

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Monday, 13 Feb 2017 at 7:09pm

Too much Darko, find Hail, Caesar! Or Hunt for the Wilderpeople.

Anyhow, here's some more Kiwi gold.

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2017/02/trump-fascism-gilded-age-knights-of-l...

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Monday, 13 Feb 2017 at 7:39pm

Ah now I see Blowin, you're a masochist. You whinge about political posts, but here you are, you spend five hours in the sun and get fried, you give up drinking and you make ridiculous comments in the hope someone will abuse you. What's next? The Balinese equivalent of Madame Lash?

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Monday, 13 Feb 2017 at 8:01pm

Hmmm, less Bintang, more Banchong

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave Monday, 13 Feb 2017 at 10:46pm

Hang on, what is going down here? Am I responsible? Just a little rave has turned into the utmost strange. Whilst we all dither we do also differ but that is okay for fucks sake, just enjoy your life. Death will take but your mind shall for sake. Imagine if you're last words to anyone were regretful!!!!

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 13 Feb 2017 at 11:12pm

Enjoy life !?

ENJOY LIFE !!!???

But .....how ?

Oh, that's how -

https://www.swellnet.com/reports/indonesia/bali/uluwatu/forecast

Scroll down the bottom of the page ...it just gets better , baby !

Picking up two new boards this week , then it's off to a more suitable location ( ******** ) - oh yeah.

Gaz1799's picture
Gaz1799's picture
Gaz1799 Tuesday, 14 Feb 2017 at 9:08am

All this talk about bintangs and ulu has me gazing out of my office window..

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 14 Feb 2017 at 9:31am

I don't surf Ulu hardly ever.

It's just a good read on swell hitting the island in general.

Looks tasty.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 14 Feb 2017 at 9:47am

Head up the N.W area for some r+r
Villa Selina

Blarney's picture
Blarney's picture
Blarney Tuesday, 14 Feb 2017 at 12:42pm

Leadership, the false notion that we the people need someone to tell us what to do! What evil men(not a gender issue) hide behind and justify there actions, funny how no one is accountable in the end, see the GFC and later major bonuses paid, then may hired into US government posts afterwards.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Tuesday, 14 Feb 2017 at 5:40pm

Blarney the corrupt and ineffectual leadership we suffer arises directly from governments trying to appease the populist sentiment that they should do whatever the majority want whenever they want it, regardless of its consequences. If you think that why bother with government at all? Just appoint some bureaucrats to run never ending opinion polls. Of course no-one would sign treaties with us since they might be repudiated the following week and no-one would trade with us since we might at any moment impose tariffs and you would need to really concentrate on the changes to the law because what was legal last week might not be this week.

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Tuesday, 14 Feb 2017 at 6:33pm
Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 14 Feb 2017 at 7:17pm

Haha !

Looks like I'm timing my exit strategy perfectly.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 14 Feb 2017 at 7:24pm

30,000? Gotta be bullshit. Hoping it's bullshit.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 14 Feb 2017 at 7:32pm

It's been an amazing run since I've been here.

Another couple of weeks and it's all theirs .

Blarney's picture
Blarney's picture
Blarney Saturday, 18 Feb 2017 at 5:03pm

Leadership Mr Blindboy, its not in a democratic balance with this bunch of politicians. Maybe its right time to get rid of this stale old men and weak old women, hanging onto traditional concepts like race and national boundaries amid gender imbalance in their ranks. Hire the Chinese to build new refugee cities in a year. The Chinese are a ruthless an efficient government. That's what we are after, a radical idea to be implemented, like the Australian democratic people hiring the Chinese for a four year term to run the government truly on our democratic principles, while the people watch over. Instead of this incredulous populist fake news and fake shock jock group of real Australians who supposedly feel so threatened by changes in the world, that we start to return to a closed society. The billions in wages for the pollies, media, business and even the rertreating arts, no one wants to challenge the status quo. The rich, the aristocracy and their fawning pawns are getting smarter all the time,(?using supercomputing power to maximise profits?). The question is about thispopulist majority", who are they who are they listening to, the vunerable inexperienced youth mass, the lower bell curve of intelligence, who are easily manipulated or might sign onto the bottom line eg real estate crisis in USA, or the at times mis- labelled "middle class" whose constant striving to get ahead they throw in our face, while the middle class waffle, constantly introspecting their own belly buttons and neurotically worry and study about every emotion or though,t while infecting us all. They really pay the middle class higher working class wages ( eg Malcon Turnbulls wealth is really middle class).
At least a hired Chinese government for four years might implement the best scientific based economic plan for all, for climate change, ruthlessly. Please remember to take this content with a grain of salt!

upnorth's picture
upnorth's picture
upnorth Saturday, 18 Feb 2017 at 9:59pm

'In the case of Brexit, leadership would have been shown by not having the plebiscite. The people are not disenfranchised in this process. They elected leaders who should have had expertise to see that it would be a bad decision and so should not be put to a popular vote.'

A bad decision Blindboy? Says who? At the very least the jury is still out and so far none of falling off a cliff type events that were predicted by remainers have happened.

As for not having the vote, I think you underestimate the demand there was for a referendum. Cameron had no choice he had tried negotiating with the EU and the electorate. He had to show leadership and let people have their say, to deny 17million+ a voice would've got messy.

trippergreenfeet's picture
trippergreenfeet's picture
trippergreenfeet Sunday, 19 Feb 2017 at 10:42am

BB, one thing you have shown with your OP is that the idiocracy is alive and unwell. The usual suspects prove it beyond shadow of a doubt ... as for Trump's idiocracy, President Camacho would be proud.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Sunday, 19 Feb 2017 at 10:54am

upnorth the jury is still out because it hasn't happened yet!

upnorth's picture
upnorth's picture
upnorth Sunday, 19 Feb 2017 at 9:42pm

... so we can't say Brexit is a bad decision.