Management of Sharks in NSW Waters Parliamentary Inquiry

surfaripat's picture
surfaripat started the topic in Thursday, 27 Aug 2015 at 4:49pm

For those interested

NSW Govt has called for an Inquiry into management of sharks in NSW waters

Submissions close: 23 Oct 2015

Further details found at
http://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/prod/parlment/committee.nsf/0/91CF190BC...

Terms of Reference

That the Committee inquire into and report on the
management of sharks and the economic impact
of shark attacks on communities in NSW, with particular reference to:

a)The impact of shark attacks on tourism and related industries;

b)Changes in shark numbers,behaviouror habitat;

c)Adequacy of management strategies;

d)Measures to prevent attacks by sharks, including
strategies adopted in other jurisdictions;
and
e)Any other related matters

rule303's picture
rule303's picture
rule303 Sunday, 6 Sep 2015 at 12:15am

Whist i hate providing info for a sydney based public servant with no idea about the ocean
https://taronga.org.au/conservation/conservation-science-research/austra...
Fund research not nets

Gees the government loves to waste money let me answer for free here's some facts

a)The impact of shark attacks on tourism and related industries;
What impact storm in a tea cup https://taronga.org.au/animals-conservation/conservation-science/austral...

b)Changes in shark numbers,behaviouror habitat;
Yeah great idea the government should fund, , has there been changes in shark numbers and habitat, is not that what you pay your public servants in sydney to answer. na fut that i might start my own religious charity to investigate my shark god

c)Adequacy of management strategies;
poor , too many public servants doing nothing the majority in capital cities, cull them and fund research
d)Measures to prevent attacks by sharks, including
strategies adopted in other jurisdictions;
DONT GO IN THE OCEAN, my family went surfing today on the North coast NSW,oooohhhh sharks they are always about you cannot prevent shark attacks unless we start killing whales and dragging them out to sea for a buffet for sharks
ah by the wayhttps://taronga.org.au/animals-conservation/conservation-science/austral...
more people on this forum are likely to be dead via car or alcohol than shark
sick of the hysteria sick of the opinions sick of nothing based on fact

e)Any other related matters

The government pays public servants in sydney way to much money direct the money to regional nsw fund research and jobs in regional nsw

sharkman's picture
sharkman's picture
sharkman Sunday, 6 Sep 2015 at 10:25am

the NSW govt should look at the affect burying dead whales on the beach , at Coffs and ballina , dig them up from the beaches and stop the burley lines.

http://www.coffscoastadvocate.com.au/news/buried-whale-may-put-surfers-a...

No-one in their right mind would bury whales on the beach to decompose , and think that the whale oil/scent will not attract GWS's and or any other shark.

trippergreenfeet's picture
trippergreenfeet's picture
trippergreenfeet Sunday, 6 Sep 2015 at 11:03am

About 18 months before Ken Crew was killed ( Nov 6 2000) at Cott the local Council buried a whale in the primary dunes...a sudject the council avoided at the time of Ken's death.

In 1997 a whale washed up at Silver Sands in WA. Instead of burying the whale it was cut up and trucked away...with a giant mess of shredded whale blubber / meat left on the beach. For the next six months that was THE mulloway spot and many caught were attacked by shark before getting them to the beach.

mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207 Sunday, 6 Sep 2015 at 11:27am

Whale got buried at Umbies (WA) couple years ago and attack there also followed

sharkman's picture
sharkman's picture
sharkman Sunday, 6 Sep 2015 at 1:38pm

will be interesting to find out , how long it takes for a whale carcass to completely breakdown , as the Umbies incident might have been the start of all the attacks and sightings around the Gracetown area ?

bobby2's picture
bobby2's picture
bobby2 Tuesday, 29 Sep 2015 at 8:00am

Here is something to reflect on: just heard a clip on the radio about a new film coming out. The story tells about the mass killing of rays and sharks, primarily in Indonesia. What caught my attention was this fact: after the success of the movie and it's makers efforts "70% of the 70 million sharks that are killed each year (for shark fin soup) are now free to live". So, if this is correct and the sharks migrate....we have a problem.

rule303's picture
rule303's picture
rule303 Thursday, 1 Oct 2015 at 6:34pm
bobby2 wrote:

Here is something to reflect on: just heard a clip on the radio about a new film coming out. The story tells about the mass killing of rays and sharks, primarily in Indonesia. What caught my attention was this fact: after the success of the movie and it's makers efforts "70% of the 70 million sharks that are killed each year (for shark fin soup) are now free to live". So, if this is correct and the sharks migrate....we have a problem.

Just heard about a new film on the radio, Thanks

Yes Boobby a big problem they are coming to kill all our children and eat our fish. I Am never surfing again

doghead's picture
doghead's picture
doghead Tuesday, 19 Jan 2016 at 6:10am

SHARKADOO.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Tuesday, 19 Jan 2016 at 11:50am

https://au.tv.yahoo.com/sunrise/video/watch/29674718/diver-spooked-by-gr...

worth a watch,guy seems to have dodged a bullet...just

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 19 Jan 2016 at 12:13pm

Scary, which country is that from ?
for a minute there I thought he was screwing a powerhead onto the speargun

carpetman's picture
carpetman's picture
carpetman Tuesday, 19 Jan 2016 at 2:55pm

Sounds like they're speaking Afrikaans so prob South Africa. Amazing how such a big creature can move through the water without making a sound.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Tuesday, 19 Jan 2016 at 3:43pm

wonder which go-pro wearing diver or surfer will capture the first POV great white attack?

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Tuesday, 19 Jan 2016 at 5:50pm

and who would dare watch it? ...not me.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 19 Jan 2016 at 9:12pm

Westpac chopper in Adelaide gulf waters sighted a 7m GWS yesterday.