War

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog started the topic in Saturday, 15 Nov 2014 at 11:45am

What is it good for........

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Wednesday, 14 Jan 2015 at 1:33pm
Blowin wrote:

I'm really just trying get to the pointy end of you're reasoning . Is it that the West is purely rascist because Nigeria didn't receive the same level of attention ? That secretly EVERYONE hates black people ?

It's all a matter of relativity. Australia has a long and involved history with France, unlike Nigeria.

So if media and public reaction is subdued, it's because it seems abstract. People know nothing about Nigeria.

You couldn't even locate it on a map.

If your cousin was in a car accident would it have more impact than if a stranger was in a car accident ? Of course.

Everyone knows what happened in Nigeria, no one condones it.

Are you also raging against the lack of Nigerian content in the Chinese and Inuit media. Or do you just hate the West ?

What would be your stance on the option of sending Australian troops to Nigeria ?

Pointy end of my reasoning? I didn't write the article.... Just a discussion point to see where people stand....... BTW, Nigeria was part of the British empire, unlike france, who once had a war with Britain.....
But hey.... And we won't talk about the 50 000 NIGERIAN SOLDIERS who came to our aid in Burma against the Japanese in WW2.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8201717.stm

Ignorance is bliss, blowin..... "Abstract ignorance".... You didn't know that Nigerians died alongside us, did you Blowin...

Now as far as pointing it out on a map goes, I thought you were joking.... I did ok at geography and modern history in school... Im sure I could find it... Dunno if you could find Rigestan lol

So, really, blowin, the pointy end of "my reasoning" isn't in question.. Yours is.... You've dissed 2000 murders as abstract..... You have been quite vocal on the war against radical islam, and on waving the old Aussie flag... You have been quite supportive of sending troops to Afghanistan (I don't think Australia has too much history with them, using your check list), you have been quite supportive of participating against ISIS in Syria/Iraq...... So the question is, why the silence on Nigeria, where Muslim extremists are butchering thousands of men women and children, and why aren't YOU calling for troops to be deployed?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 14 Jan 2015 at 4:08pm

I didn't know about the Nigerian support Sheepy. I didn't know much at all about Nigeria. Nor did you till you googled it.
That's my point. Australians aren't very aware. We don't holiday there. We didn't send virtually 2 whole generations of our healthiest men to defend it. We aren't related through our European heritage .
You asked why it doesn't get as much attention. That's why.

Me wanting to send troops to Nigeria ? If we had enough soldiers and they were to magically remain unharmed, with zero civilian casualties and without further inciting hatred of the West - I'd send them in a flash.

Ignorance is bliss on a lot of occasions Sheepy. You think that your grasping reasoning of a situation that has it's origins way beyond any comprehension attained through perusing roughly hewn facts from an emotional and physical distance has made you any happier ?

So if you would be kind enough to respond - Why do YOU think there was a greater response to France than Nigeria and do YOU think we should send troops to Nigeria?

BTW - Since when have I been supportive of sending troops to Afghanistan ?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 14 Jan 2015 at 2:16pm

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Friday, 16 Jan 2015 at 3:36pm

Gday, blowin..... Sorry for the late reply...
"I didn't know about the Nigerian support Sheepy. I didn't know much at all about Nigeria. Nor did you till you googled it".

Not quite true... But if you say so............. hands up all those who had granfathers and great uncles (one of which was used as a live dummy for bayonet practice by the japs) fight in the Asian pacific theatres..... Do I need to prove this, or will you take my word for it? You see, blowin, as a child, I studied and had a great interest in WW2.. With one side of my family be "allied", and the other being "axis", it was no wonder my parents divorced lol... My main interest was air warfare, from fw190s to Fairey battles to corsairs to Zero's to even the piece of shit Boomerang....

"That's my point. Australians aren't very aware."
Some are, blowin....... But your comment about a deep and meaningful relationship with france shows that you don't remember our nations horror as France dropped umpteen nuclear bombs in the pacific.... And no, I didn't google that either.....

"You think that your grasping reasoning of a situation that has it's origins way beyond any comprehension attained through perusing roughly hewn facts from an emotional and physical distance has made you any happier "
I really don't get your angle on this one..... What has my zen like happiness or inner peace have to do with posting a link for discussion in a war thread.... Why partake in war thread if "happiness" is my goal? It makes no sense....

"So if you would be kind enough to respond - Why do YOU think there was a greater response to France than Nigeria and do YOU think we should send troops to Nigeria?"
Part one of your question - A- because it was easier.... Simple...., Live footage at the time, middle of a major European city.... Amateur phone camera footage available.... Nigerian slaughter was in the "boondocks"..... B- live coverage is fantastic for ratings... C- Political and propaganda leverage by "our side"....
Part two of your question - I don't think that Australian troops should've been sent to GWB's Iraq battle against Saddam... I don't believe we should've gone to Afghanistan.... I would've fully thrown my support behind the USA in the legitimate hunt for Bin Laden and the perpetrators of 9/11 as CRIMINALS, not "war heroes" as the Islamic movement now see them... I would've suggested covert spying operations instead of the ensuing bloodbath and terrorist breeding ground that the middle east has become.... So.... If I was to say "send troops" to Nigeria, it may be considered as hypocrisy...... I think African nations should pull together to help their neighbour, or the cancer will spread... I also don't think that mollycoddling will fix it... The Nigerian army (and their African allies) should go in twice as hard.... Pussyfooting around wont work with these people...

"BTW - Since when have I been supportive of sending troops to Afghanistan ?"....
I assumed, like you assumed my lack of knowledge on ww2.... I assumed via your many posts, through your aired opinions on "terrorism", boat people/"illegals" etc..... I could not picture you marching back in the early 2000s chanting "no to Iraq, no to Afghanistan"......

So what was your stand at the time, blowin?

Cheers, man....

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 16 Jan 2015 at 4:43pm

We shouldn't ever have been in the Middle East. What the fuck has it got to do with us ?

Was it Floyd or Trippergreenfeet that put up the speech by the States most decorated soldier - War is a racket it was called. Like the man said : the defence force should be just that.... a defence force.

Unless we are called upon by the country involved or threatened from afar.

Remember WMD ? Was there anyone on the planet swallowed that shit ?

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Friday, 16 Jan 2015 at 6:10pm

Not me.