Illegal boat people

nick3's picture
nick3 started the topic in Monday, 20 Aug 2012 at 6:20pm

Who is sick and tired of these illegal boat people having a lend of us?

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 12 Feb 2015 at 9:12am

So this guy flew to Australia........
http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/feb/12/peter-dutton-links...

Didn't come by boat...... Last time I checked, the 9/11 bombers flew into the USA... This shows that any 1/2 decent would be terrorist aint gonna risk their lives and spend 2, maybe 3 years on a perilous land and boat journey from the middle east across the Indian ocean via Indo, via a detention centre.... They would simply get false documentation and come through the front door, like the 9/11 bombers..... Governments have to stop appealing to the underbelly of Australian opinion... And stop using imprisoned children as a pawn... A really shameful episode, that will be judged poorly by the sands of time......

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 12 Feb 2015 at 10:08am

Yesterday I saw a sign at an Indonesian airport saying that if you attempt to enter the country without correct documentation you're looking at 5 years gaol.

burgsurfer's picture
burgsurfer's picture
burgsurfer Thursday, 12 Feb 2015 at 10:15am

You are spot on in terms of how terrorists from overseas come in. We are fast becoming the armpit of the "western" world when it comes to humanity and history will view us that way. I think this politician is just wagging the dog to build support for the cruel regime that is place.

I think this politician is full of it and just being a politician and trying to gain a bit more approval for the current cruelty. All reports indicate that both of these guys became radicalised over here not back there.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 12 Feb 2015 at 10:26am

I think what he is saying Sheepy is not so much an attack on Refugees, more an attack on Labour. It's just politics mate.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 12 Feb 2015 at 10:27am
Blowin wrote:

Yesterday I saw a sign at an Indonesian airport saying that if you attempt to enter the country without correct documentation you're looking at 5 years gaol.

Problem is, blowin, that some of the false passports etc are so well done, it is near impossible to stop.... Big money from big poppy fields in the tribal lands can buy anything..... In the meantime, the gutter pollys whip up the "Alan Jones and John laws 5 million plus voting block boomer generation" into a lather, having them believe that asylum boats are full of Mohamed Atta's........ It's just not feasible.... It's just not true.... Both this guy and the sydney dude flew here.......

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 12 Feb 2015 at 10:47am

I don't think we should be granting any sanctions to people that arrive without ANY documentation either.
Why throw your passport away if it will corroborate your story ?

Not because of the threat of terrorism , just so immigration has a better idea of who is trying to enter the country. Why should we be importing criminals that lurk amongst the innocent people fleeing persecution for political or religious beliefs ?

I did some work at Port Hedland detention centre in 02/03 and met a few of the detainees. A lot of nice people, some unsavoury characters for sure in there too. One day a group got together and started busting up a concrete path , I was pretty off it thinking it was vandalism. Then they started passing the broken concrete up onto the roof of the mess. After we left there was a bit of a commotion and amongst it some of the detainees started to rain this concrete down on centre. A few of the guards were pelted with these, not insubstantial ,blocks of concrete. A couple of the guards got flogged with large pieces thrown straight down on their heads and shoulders receiving bad injuries.

Would you ever consider dumping a large block of concrete onto someone's head ? Under any circumstance ?

You'll probably say that these fellas were so frustrated at their treatment that they'd lost perspective and we couldn't fathom this frustration till we'd experienced it - bullshit. That was nothing less than attempted murder from some violent men that should never be granted access to our society. No excuses. Nothing will ever condone trying to kill an innocent worker doing their job.

That's why all documentation must be given due process. Sure , people will always have fake documentation, but not everyone. Most people are genuine but when they dispose of identity papers it ties up time and effort that could be focused on attempting to weed out those with criminal history. An impossible task made harder .
So I actually agree with this Dutton knob in that regard.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 12 Feb 2015 at 10:56am

Yeah i agree, blowin, but that wasn't my point... Would a terrorist attract attention to himself by raining down concrete? They are buffoons, not terrorists.....

tonybarber's picture
tonybarber's picture
tonybarber Thursday, 12 Feb 2015 at 12:37pm

Sheepdog...article does not mention boats but rather suspect may have false papers.
Four Corners ran an interesting segment where boat people purposely got rid of their papers.
Once they are in checks are minimal.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 12 Feb 2015 at 1:15pm
tonybarber wrote:

Sheepdog...article does not mention boats but rather suspect may have false papers.
Four Corners ran an interesting segment where boat people purposely got rid of their papers.
Once they are in checks are minimal.

I know that mate..... Everyone seems to be delberatley missing the point.... I mentioned boats, the article mentioned planes....
"Dutton says he’s been advised one of the suspects might have flown to Australia with false documentation in 2009"

That sydney siege guy also flew here....
Mohamed attar flew to the USA....
And now we are waffling about boat people not having documentation..... Some people are ORDERED to throw it by the smugglers...... Would any one of us have any idea? As far as being locked up indefinitely, I'm sure I'd lose the plot.......
No one seems to... or wants to "get it"....... Maybe you should all dye your hair purple, tune in to Alan or Ray Hadlee, watch the bolt report, head down for a schooner at the rsl, and continue to justify this ridiculous boat people charade, as the REAL dangerous one's walk straight in the front door......

tonybarber's picture
tonybarber's picture
tonybarber Thursday, 12 Feb 2015 at 2:48pm

Sheepdog…I assume you remember not long ago a couple of 'boat' people being charged with rape at a Uni in NSW. Yoou may have missed the Four Corners how but it was clear boat refugees 'lost' their papers. It was their choice not ORDERED. Sorry can't dye my hair, my habib covers it.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 12 Feb 2015 at 4:51pm

I'm talking terrorism, tones.... Lots of rape by whitefellas too..... Remember Anita Cobby... WTF does rape have to do with planned terrorist attacks? Of course there are unsavory types coming by boats... No doubt there were heroin peddlers back in the days of vietnamese boat people.... But that is all a distraction from my point, my point being terrorists fly in, they don't spend 3 years travelling here just to possibly drown at sea.....

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Thursday, 12 Feb 2015 at 5:39pm

Here we go again ....

If you want to read about real illegal boat people read something about the First Fleet. I suggest Robert Hughes' The Fatal Shore. Read about the hundreds of hangings, thousands of men and women whipped for mostly trivial offences, the almost universal forced rape and prostitution of all women transported to the new colony, or in the absence of women the rape of men and boys at places like Norfolk Island and finally read about the the wholesale murder of Aboriginals everywhere whites settled.

Wholesale terror inflicted on its own citizens and Aboriginals by British terrorists.

Finally, this question came to me today: How would we view history if the Japanese locked up Australian soldiers during WW2 up in tropical hellholes like we are doing to refugees and their families?

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 15 Feb 2015 at 7:28pm

This is kinda interesting

Police in West Sumatra have detained 30 undocumented migrants from Myanmar and Bangladesh in Padang on their way to Christmas Island.

“We found 24 immigrants on Thursday, and we found another six near residents’ houses in Bayang,” police spokesman Adj. Sr. Comr. Toto Fajar told Indonesian news portal Tempo.co on Friday.

Police also arrested the ship’s captain and crew, all of whom were from Sulawesi, Toto said.

Some 24 of the migrants, 16 from Myanmar and eight from Bangladesh, all aged between 20 and 30, were brought to the Padang immigration office. Six others were remanded in police custody

http://thejakartaglobe.beritasatu.com/news/padang-police-nabbed-30-austr...

Meanwhile

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/feb/15/tony-abbott-signals-fallout...

What a weird world.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 16 Feb 2015 at 5:32pm

And another.

I follow Indonesian media as best as i can and never see this happening, its either coincidence or maybe Indonesia is sending out a message to Australia politically?…Maybe look we can help you on this issue, but back down now on the Bali nine thing?

Medan, N Sumatra (ANTARA News) - The Immigration Office of Medan, North Sumatra, is detaining 170 Somalians for entering Indonesia without proper immigration documents such as passports.

"Most of the detainees in the Immigration Offices detention center are Somalian citizens," Head of Medans Immigration Detention House Purbanus Purba said here over the weekend.

The Somali people entered Indonesia using wooden boats from Malaysia.

"They arrived in Medan through Tanjung Balai Port. They planned to continue their trip to Jakarta and Australia where they will ask for political asylum," he said.

He said that besides Somalians, there are also illegal immigrants from Sri Lanka (85), Myanmar (23) and other foreigners.

"There are 395 foreigners being detained at the immigration detention center. They all get good protection and are healthy," Purba said.(*)

http://www.antaranews.com/en/news/97780/medans-immigration-detains-170-s...

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 11 May 2015 at 10:04pm

Interesting read, kind of puts a different perspective on things in that its just not us as in Australia that is affected by this whole refugee/asylum seeker thing.

Hundreds of Refugees Arrive in Malaysia, Indonesia After Thai Crackdown

http://thejakartaglobe.beritasatu.com/news/hundreds-refugees-arrive-mala...

silicun's picture
silicun's picture
silicun Wednesday, 13 May 2015 at 10:11am

Yep refugees happen all over the world, the amount that come to Australia is miniscule in comparison to many countries.

surfadudezz's picture
surfadudezz's picture
surfadudezz Friday, 22 May 2015 at 11:11am

so sick of them 2 :/ ugh

braudulio's picture
braudulio's picture
braudulio Friday, 22 May 2015 at 11:26am
surfadudezz wrote:

so sick of them 2 :/ ugh

Gee mate that's terrible. How dare people fleeing for their lives inconvenience you in such a heartless and callous way. Hang on I'll go get you a tissue.

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Friday, 22 May 2015 at 11:52am

Hey Tony, going to do anything about the latest humanitarian refugee crisis and risk offending your red neck electoral base?

"Nope, nope, nope".

silicun's picture
silicun's picture
silicun Friday, 22 May 2015 at 11:59am

He did his bit setting the callous precedent he did, now the entire region has been sullied with his redneckery.

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Friday, 22 May 2015 at 12:48pm
silicun wrote:

He did his bit setting the callous precedent he did, now the entire region has been sullied with his redneckery.

Abbott did, Rudd did, Gillard did, Rudd did but most of all Howard did. He is the one that first twigged on to the fact their were votes in it from the red neck suburbs and ran with it as fast as his little legs could take him.

Later Abbott used the red neck vote to kill carbon pricing and the mining tax.

Immigration and our treatment of refugees was once an issue that united the nation and source of national pride; now its an issue that divides.

silicun's picture
silicun's picture
silicun Friday, 22 May 2015 at 12:54pm

I agree totally Floyd, its a dismal state of affairs, the precedent that Abbott set was the turning back the boats strategy, that's what the rohingyas are facing here a complete refusal to provide even temporary refuge to people in obvious dire straights (although I read that Malaysia has allowed them landfall finally).

Divide and conquer seems to be the strategy on all political fronts for the tone ranger