New tour format 2019

crg's picture
crg started the topic in Monday, 10 Dec 2018 at 2:10pm

Did I hear rightly that they're changing the format next year to take 4 rounds to eliminate just 4 surfers? No reduction in overall event time? Surely not.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Monday, 29 Apr 2019 at 4:52pm

Jeez, he didn't do much with that end section :)

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Monday, 29 Apr 2019 at 4:55pm

Stunet, watched that Gabby vs Panda heat, looked at that turn to lip bash (I think? The Wizzle site is a beauty!), then hop, hop, hop round next section.

Noticed the wobble in that bottom turn I looked at, anyway.

Then I looked at Primo's Occ bit.

Tough conditions for the latter boys, no doubt...

BUT...

I dunno...

Maybe I need eye surgery, or some of Blowie's rose-tinted Blades??

Yeah, nah...

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 29 Apr 2019 at 5:17pm

Blowin commented SATURDAY, 14 OCT 2017 at 2:55PM
Weather is terrible so I've parked up with a few beers and the replay .

Notes - Agree with Savanova. Parko is on borrowed time . As amazing a surfer as he is , there'll be no option of being on tour in his mid 40's for him.
Not that he would give a fuck it seems.

Medina - Maybe my favourite surfer ? His backhand style reminds me of Occy. Pivoting around the hand and using the back arm as a counterbalance. His power is pretty impressive now also. Stays so centred. I've said it before , if he's taken by the overwhelming desire that's owned him previously then another world title is his. That arrogance is a formidable weapon. It compels a broadening of scope for improvements in his own performance to match that of his rivals . It's the assumed superiority of his nature that absorbs the technical progression of his rivals and removes any doubt of his ability to surpass it .

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 29 Apr 2019 at 5:18pm
AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Monday, 29 Apr 2019 at 5:30pm

Ok everyone, relax and take a seat - it's all settled now.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 29 Apr 2019 at 5:36pm

Yeah , I was a few beers in on that second one , Andy.

I’d read some anti- Medina dribble and got overexcited. Love his surfing. Not just the technical ability. He’s the next generation Occy, no doubt.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Tuesday, 30 Apr 2019 at 5:21pm

That second paragraph of Gabby love is an impressive word salad, Blowie. You a vegan activist?

And I know, we all know, style don't mean shit in pro comp world, but Occy - and JJF - for mine. Watch 'em all day. Chuck in Dane too. Not Keahola. Well, yeah, him too.

Yew!

Parko and Curren is a God-given.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Tuesday, 30 Apr 2019 at 5:19pm

Next gen Occy??

What the fuck you drinking? Metho? or XXXX Gold?

Both?

tux's picture
tux's picture
tux Tuesday, 30 Apr 2019 at 5:04pm

Medina and JJF's surfing was so far ahead of everyone else...Flippy, Ryan and Jordy next rung down but still a pretty long way back...anyone that's bagging out the end section turns that JJF laid down needs to get out there and have a crack...its lumpy, bumpy, theres bits of rock jumping out, pitches unpredictably and you know every second brings you closer to the button....good luck...the reality is its not an easy wave to surf from a positioning point of view or when your actually up and riding...JJF did it better than all the rest in my eyes