Challenger series 2022

Solitude's picture
Solitude started the topic in Tuesday, 5 Jul 2022 at 5:55am

What a brutal tour. One could argue nearly harder to win than a CT owing to the sheer number of surfer and talent at that.

You travel half way around the world ONLY for the challenger event and come third in your first round and that it’s, pack it up and go home.

Gotta feel bad for the like of Joel Vaughan, Jordy Lawler and Kalani Ball at yesterday’s 2 foot onshore Ballito.

If you make it to the top 12 you really deserve your spot on the CT.

Solitude's picture
Solitude's picture
Solitude Tuesday, 5 Jul 2022 at 5:56am

Bump

poo-man's picture
poo-man's picture
poo-man Tuesday, 5 Jul 2022 at 6:33am

Yep I watched a bit of that last night. It's brutal for sure. Tough conditions ay

crg's picture
crg's picture
crg Tuesday, 5 Jul 2022 at 10:34am

The way they want to pump the numbers of surfers and “grow” the sport...it’s only going to get worse...

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Tuesday, 5 Jul 2022 at 10:59am

4 man heats in onshore 2ft surf.

total crap shoot.

Luck has far more to do with it than anything else.

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Tuesday, 5 Jul 2022 at 11:17am

I tuned in for Rio Waidas heat because he fucking rips and would love to see him qualify, it was really hard to watch.

Solitude's picture
Solitude's picture
Solitude Tuesday, 5 Jul 2022 at 11:42am

Such an expensive jaunt. What 5K for flight and accom to get the south africa to surf 30mins? No other events nearby to tack on and/or help cause (because if you're out in the round of 1096 then you're not getting the call up for J-Bay).

From Ballito hop over to Huntington for another shot at a 2 foot random beachie and probably 10K poorer.

There will be some really good surfers missing out. If you do happen to survive the 300 heats over 8 events and make the dream tour, guess what, you're up against Felipe, Robbo, JJF in the first 5 events and then bang back on the challenger tour for 2023.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Tuesday, 5 Jul 2022 at 12:34pm

Yep.
I've continually said the CS has the potential to be a real graveyard for CT level talent.

So much luck involved.

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Tuesday, 5 Jul 2022 at 1:52pm

amazing how many good surfers there are, however not too many on the CS are GREAT (excluding the tour surfers that also compete in CS events) The good surfers all blend in unfortunately.

Mateus Herdy, Rio Waida & João Chianca stand out for me.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Tuesday, 5 Jul 2022 at 2:07pm

Ramai Boukhiam is clearly a CT level talent.

Eliminated by 0.4.

First place less than 0.6 in front.

Thats chance, and nothing more.

DudeSweetDudeSweet's picture
DudeSweetDudeSweet Tuesday, 5 Jul 2022 at 2:16pm

I watched that heat. The ending for Ramzi was tragic. Two foot crud with the second place surfer sitting on him with priority and preventing him from catching a wave.

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Tuesday, 5 Jul 2022 at 2:20pm
freeride76 wrote:

Ramai Boukhiam is clearly a CT level talent.

Eliminated by 0.4.

First place less than 0.6 in front.

Thats chance, and nothing more.

I just had a google, he rips, stylish and powerful.

Solitude's picture
Solitude's picture
Solitude Tuesday, 5 Jul 2022 at 2:22pm

Whether snapper, manly or ballito, every heat basically has 3 surfers (of 4) that get a 9 or 10 something, they have 6 x 4.0 - 5.0ish waves. I mean how do you even split that?

In some ways this system works as it saves the young battler forking out to chase QS 1000's all around the world - they can just do them in Oz and if in top 10 Aussies / Kiwis get the chance to grovel on the CS.

What would even it out a little is a couple of higher quality waves. The cream (Chianca, Ramzi, etc) would rise. Having Sunset and Haleiwa would be ideal.

DudeSweetDudeSweet Tuesday, 5 Jul 2022 at 3:07pm

Ballito kicking off now.

Pissing down rain and pretty damn cold. Throw in an injury and it’s a decent day for having the rest of the men’s round of 196,000,000 playing in the background.

Go Callinan .

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Tuesday, 5 Jul 2022 at 6:19pm

How can they have a CS comp at Ballito? It always looks like dogshit, and there are so many good waves in the vicinity.

Solitude's picture
Solitude's picture
Solitude Tuesday, 5 Jul 2022 at 6:32pm

@IB - I imagine most of the better spots on that coast would be like asking Lennox to have a comp.

reliable beachie

Solitude's picture
Solitude's picture
Solitude Monday, 11 Jul 2022 at 6:27am

Congrats to Molly Picklum for taking out Ballito. Also to Macy, just pipped at the post.

Rio Waida - what a surfer, all but guaranteed he’ll be Indonesia’s first ‘CT surfer, and he won’t be making up the numbers.

Poor buggers, after surfing total dross this week in Ballito, they are now off to Huntington Beach for the next lottery in their tour.

The dream tour this ain’t.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Saturday, 25 Nov 2023 at 10:22am
freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Saturday, 25 Nov 2023 at 4:49pm

Definitely- great character on Tour.

abc-od's picture
abc-od's picture
abc-od Tuesday, 28 Nov 2023 at 2:45pm

Agree. It'd be good to see him back.
On another score does it feel weird to others that there are no major contests from September right thru to the beginning of February? Traditionally this was an important time of the year but now there's nothing.

flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Tuesday, 28 Nov 2023 at 4:16pm
abc-od wrote:

On another score does it feel weird to others that there are no major contests from September right thru to the beginning of February? Traditionally this was an important time of the year but now there's nothing.

You’re right. And it’s not just weird, it’s a massive failure by WSL who insists that season finisher at Trestles in Sep is somehow better than an epic finale at one of the world greatest waves - Pipeline. When Pipe was a title decider I was quite hooked to the tour. Since they changed it I completely lost interest.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Tuesday, 28 Nov 2023 at 4:43pm

Feels so weird.

Hawaii is kicking off and we finished off the CS months ago in Brazilian beachbreak.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Tuesday, 28 Nov 2023 at 4:58pm
flollo wrote:
abc-od wrote:

You’re right. And it’s not just weird, it’s a massive failure by WSL who insists that season finisher at Trestles in Sep is somehow better than an epic finale at one of the world greatest waves - Pipeline. When Pipe was a title decider I was quite hooked to the tour. Since they changed it I completely lost interest.

Yep ..
+1

Solitude's picture
Solitude's picture
Solitude Tuesday, 28 Nov 2023 at 7:01pm

…..yeah but now we’ve got the digital triple crown, how cool is that?

nolocal's picture
nolocal's picture
nolocal Wednesday, 13 Dec 2023 at 3:24pm
Solitude wrote:

…..yeah but now we’ve got the digital triple crown, how cool is that?

not very?

Solitude's picture
Solitude's picture
Solitude Wednesday, 13 Dec 2023 at 6:38pm

^^ note sarcasm

Solitude's picture
Solitude's picture
Solitude Wednesday, 13 Dec 2023 at 6:38pm

^^ note sarcasm