The best surfer in the world.

Blowin's picture
Blowin started the topic in Saturday, 13 Apr 2019 at 4:34pm

Of course it’s Gabriel Medina.

Those clowns who write off his style? Yeah ,it’s called a perfect centre gravity you fucking idiots.

Centred at the top of the hips like Occy, the arms aren’t prettily nuanced , they’re pure counterweight functionality.

Medina is the best surfer in the world at this time. Ferreira is confidence. Medina is a the best surfer in the world.

southernraw's picture
southernraw's picture
southernraw Sunday, 12 Feb 2023 at 10:47pm

hehe. A squat is a perfect centre of gravity, but not particularly stylish on a surfboard. Anyway, i digress!!
The best surfer ever??
John John Florence has to be up there. Kelly Slater also. But i can't help but lean towards Andy Irons. His forehand was electric, his backhand was as good as Slaters, which, i still regard as the best backhand ever, he could boost airs ahead of his time, and his barrel riding in heavy water was also, way ahead of its time. John John has all these traits, but i think Andy just edges him out on the backhand. But i dunno. Would be interested in others thoughts. And as far as Gabby being the best surfer ever..geez it's a good question, but to me, it's always come back to his style between turns. Too squatty! Also honourable mentions to Wayne Lynch, Tom Curren, Mick Fanning, Joel Parkinson, Dane Kealoha and Johnny Boy Gomes, Steph Gilmore and the one and only Occy, who i think probably comes in at 2nd or 3rd in the greatest ever.

southernraw's picture
southernraw's picture
southernraw Sunday, 12 Feb 2023 at 10:58pm

ahhh shit! And bloody Margo!!! He's way up near the top too.
There's a freak of nature for you. Where does Margo fit in next to these surfers?
I was just in awe of Margo as i was of Slater in the 90s, but Margo was way more raw.
Yep. Put Margo up near the top.

views from the cockpit's picture
views from the cockpit's picture
views from the ... Monday, 13 Feb 2023 at 9:40pm

I recently watched that 06 vid of AI free surfing a Mexican point break with some other pros like Slats
Taj and Mick.
His forehand attack was miles ahead of these guys and I reckon he's the best Ive ever seen.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 14 Feb 2023 at 7:15am

Currently:

It's between JJF & Gabs

Best tube rider: JJF Gabs is good though.

Best airs: Gab is ahead of JJF in this area

Best power turns: JJF hands down

Best comp strategy wis: Gabs

Best in big waves: JJF

Better style: Subjective but for me JJF miles ahead. (plus love his humble no claim, claims)

I think JJF edges Gab out but its splitting hairs, Gab is a dangerous comp surfer not just for what he does on a wave but just how many waves he gets, he must be crazy fit.

Kelly is obviously the best surfer of all time in pretty much ever regard.

But Curren for me edges Kelly out on style though.

Occy probably best backhand power surfer of all time

DAW's picture
DAW's picture
DAW Tuesday, 14 Feb 2023 at 1:56pm

Thank god blowin is gone!!
JJF hands down .No one comes close for style ,power, reading and surfing a wave for what it is.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Tuesday, 14 Feb 2023 at 2:22pm

When it comes to such questions I prefer the jazz of Miles Davis to pop music

https://m.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Tuesday, 14 Feb 2023 at 2:56pm

Still havent seen anyone any pro- lid or stick punch through from behind 5x 90% developed foamballs in a row after highlining it from a channel 15 metres deeper than the takeoff locals always takeoff on. I could say who does this but i wont say.
And by foamballs i mean its not chandeliers or splash from someone paddling out,.Like the commentators say."he/she is on the foamball" bollocks.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Tuesday, 14 Feb 2023 at 3:14pm

You will never see/hear this at some logo encrusted pop music circus event.

https://m.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Tuesday, 14 Feb 2023 at 9:22pm
groundswell wrote:

Still havent seen anyone any pro- lid or stick punch through from behind 5x 90% developed foamballs in a row after highlining it from a channel 15 metres deeper than the takeoff locals always takeoff on. I could say who does this but i wont say.
And by foamballs i mean its not chandeliers or splash from someone paddling out,.Like the commentators say."he/she is on the foamball" bollocks.

Stop trying to be mysterious groundy and just tell us ffs

Alana_a's picture
Alana_a's picture
Alana_a Tuesday, 14 Feb 2023 at 9:41pm

He’s talking about clay.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Tuesday, 14 Feb 2023 at 10:06pm

yep clay but other surfers here are near as good maybe equally as good such as a guy Sam so and so but they dont like attention sponsorship or pro surfing so i wont give last name.

Alana_a's picture
Alana_a's picture
Alana_a Wednesday, 15 Feb 2023 at 6:25am

Well they’re a breath of fresh air then groundy. Good to know they’re still out there

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Saturday, 22 Apr 2023 at 3:13pm

#1 swellnet Comp call ~ Green Light is Flashin
GOAT is in the WA Line Up...(Live)
https://www.swellnet.com/form-guide/2023/margaret-river-pro

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Saturday, 22 Apr 2023 at 4:00pm

News ...Kelly bombs out... see Live Comp comments!

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Thursday, 27 Apr 2023 at 10:46am

Oh well there are plenty of 51 year old surfers still fit and ripping and charging but Kelly takes the cake. One Cali surfer has been doing long stints at desert point since the first time I met him in1998 or 99. When back then camping on the point was sketchy for not only getting robbed of your gear but one guy a few weeks earlier got his arm hacked off by a psycho local with a sharp machete..the Cali guys about 60 now and on an almost out of control 8-10 foot but wind cleaning it up I saw him get complely shached bounced through a few shockies standing tall made them then compressed through tight sections.. rollercoaster pumping in a bomb set all thee way to the end where he got one wave then straight in..Stoke and steam blowing out his ears..that tube convinced me to get more serious about standing at deserts and supersuck like waves..he is still a 6 month regular at deserts now.

Maybe not a Kelly or Dorian but hardcore to the bone.

That day the current moving to the takeoff sent some half way to Bali buy my first wave I got an 8 second tube into a grower closeout..then two female taken jap girls on my boat started rubbing my legs but back then I had too much shyness.Girls like confidence not shyness.