Summer in South Oz

sam-norwood's picture
sam-norwood started the topic in Saturday, 6 Feb 2010 at 10:59pm

Hey guys, first post for me on the Swellnet forums. Love the new site!
Heres some photos from this summer around South Australia.
4. A familiar face
6. Don't let the bad quality photo get in the way of Max Longy's air in Middleton Bay.
7. Brett Edwards in Middleton Bay
8. Andy Manners in Middleton Bay
13. Middleton Bay

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Sunday, 7 Feb 2010 at 4:38am

Welcome Sam!

Here's some shots from when I was back in SA over the Chrissie period..
First surf was a solo one at Parsons on the Tuesday before Christmas.

Clean 2ft rights into the point with a few barrles before the hoards came down a couple of hours after..

Had another session down there on Sunday morning after Christmas, again by myself for about half an hour before only 3 others paddled out over the next 2 hours and it was a solid 3-4ft and clean!

Surfed Knights that evening half-cut and that was a bit of fun and then a smaller and onshore Parsons down the beach on Monday morning.

Went to Yorkes a couple of times as well. First time was on the Tuesday before NYE, was a little too big for the beachies and too small for the reefs so I headed to reliable Pondie. There was an inconsistent 2ft+ swell running and again I lucked out with the crowds. Only 5 of us out for a couple of hours before 20+ people showed up. So I got out, sat on the board walk for an hour or two until the shift change and then scored it with only 3 out again :o Amazing! Haha

Had to fly out Sunday afternoon back to Sydney but I knew a new swell was coming on Sunday morning so I drove over to surf until 12pm as the swell was building. The swell was an hour or two later than I expected but surfed fun 2ft Inners to myself for an hour and a half before 2 other guys walked over. Then I had a quick break and as the swell started to build and the tide dropped out it all started to come together at Tressies. The swell built to a solid 4-5ft while I was out there and it was still growing when I left but winds went SW and farked it up a bit, but I at least got an hour or two of clean 4ft'ers with only 2 others out on a Sunday :o

tamsy's picture
tamsy's picture
tamsy Sunday, 7 Feb 2010 at 11:12am

great pics sam!!

nickg's picture
nickg's picture
nickg Sunday, 7 Feb 2010 at 12:38pm

i went back to SA's for the Wed Dec 23rd to 30th shift and scored non-stop waves, from dribbly (but overhead) Middleton to punchy Waits.

and almost no one out most of the time and if crew did paddle out to 'my' peak they just got shuffled down the beach by the rips.

returned to Sydney.. waves? they had none, which didn't deter the crowds, with the flat spell continuing for the next 2-3 weeks well into Jan.

if i hadn't been to SA i would have been torching boards on the beach as a sacrifice to Huey.

thanks for the pics.

streetdaddy's picture
streetdaddy's picture
streetdaddy Sunday, 7 Feb 2010 at 6:46pm

airs in the bay... what's next, flying pigs perhaps?

sam-norwood's picture
sam-norwood's picture
sam-norwood Monday, 8 Feb 2010 at 1:16pm

I know its hard to believe but all of the south coast guys are ripping!
Heres some more from last week on a trip somewhere in SA.

1. Bigger than it looks.
2. One guy out..
3. Steve Manners
4. Andy Manners
5. Steve Manners

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Tuesday, 9 Feb 2010 at 12:37am

Nice shots Sam! But straighten your horizons! :p

markaavi63's picture
markaavi63's picture
markaavi63 Friday, 12 Feb 2010 at 11:35am

Sly left into a right, like it.

daverob's picture
daverob's picture
daverob Friday, 12 Feb 2010 at 11:47am

Gah this makes me miss SA so much! Every surf out at Yorkes or further feels like an adventure (even if the drive can be a bit boring). Had a trip back there last year to visit family, scored a couple of good days in the week before christmas and again after new year.
These ones with 2 other guys at the beach...

And these ones as the only booger out with a handful of other guys, which meant I had the pick of the shallow ones...

egg's picture
egg's picture
egg Friday, 26 Mar 2010 at 10:27pm

Good pics guys, finally nice to see some SA shots. Hard to believe that intimidation has worked for so long against shots of such fantastic coastline and waves. Agree some of the better breaks don't need to be named, those who have been there know anyway. Keep em rolling in!