Barrel or nice shaped close out

thelostclimber's picture
thelostclimber started the topic in Wednesday, 23 May 2012 at 11:29am

There are so many photogs in the water and millions of photos on the web claiming to be shots of awesome barrels at beach breaks.

But a little extra scrutiny and I can't help thinking that many of these barrels are just nice shaped close outs, with a well positioned camera.

Does 1/2 to 1 sec count as a barrel ride?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 23 May 2012 at 12:13pm

I'm saying yeah. The photogs are only fooling us as much as we can be fooled. If I think it's gonna closeout, well, so be it. Can still make for an amazing photo.

thelostclimber's picture
thelostclimber's picture
thelostclimber Wednesday, 23 May 2012 at 1:50pm

then my barrel count has just multiplied by the 100's, coming from South Arm TAS, the home of the beach break close out

quinny45's picture
quinny45's picture
quinny45 Thursday, 15 Nov 2012 at 9:06pm

Haha damn right about that last comment!

singkenken's picture
singkenken's picture
singkenken Friday, 16 Nov 2012 at 1:36pm

Pheweeeeeeeee , 5 years of barrelmania when I started my surfing career at the tender age of 11 ! If only I had of realised !!!

evand's picture
evand's picture
evand Thursday, 11 Apr 2013 at 12:59am

No. But if it makes a cool photo that gives you cool dreams, who cares?

yocal's picture
yocal's picture
yocal Friday, 25 Oct 2013 at 10:27am

Just to bring this discussion back to life... There is nothing better than pulling into a big cavern even if it closes on you... coming out is just the icing on the cake right?

reecen's picture
reecen's picture
reecen Friday, 25 Oct 2013 at 10:56am

I here you Yokal. All about the vision, sometimes it looks unreal in a big close out watching the shock waves and oncoming foam ball. Outcome isn't always so great though.......

crustt's picture
crustt's picture
crustt Friday, 25 Oct 2013 at 11:13am

What about blue holes, quick vision and then out of there.